DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photoshop CC game changer alert!

brett8883

Reactions
Hey everybody I just wanted to make the group aware that a huge new feature of Photoshop was added a few weeks ago and if you shoot in RAW you'll want to take notice because the game has changed as far as the capabilities of Photoshop Camera RAW to process RAW images. Any serious photographer will now add a new step in their post workflow.

If you'd like to understand the technical details see here. But basically your can put Photoshop into "ludicrous mode" to generate the visible image from a RAW file(which is just data and has to be processed into a visible image.)

Just open a raw file into photoshop or lightroom and at the bottom left there is an "enhance Details" button. Click that and Photoshop will start processing a new DNG with "ludicrous mode."

This can take several minutes and will make a new additional DNG which you will need to reopen in photoshop and camera raw. No need to do any adjustments before enhancing details as you'll get a chance to do that once you have the new file created. Keep in mind it created a new file 4-5 times the size of the original I guess since there's so much more "detail."

It makes a big difference guys. I can see a new level of depth in images and pros are telling me there's no way to go back pandoras box is open. Now its not gonna make a bad shot good but its gonna make a good shot over the top.

Give it a try! Just make sure you have the latest photoshop and camera RAW.

Reactions: mwardncsu
Samples?

Had a look on a couple of files but nothing striking, and as usual with these AI things a couple of places where it's actually worse.

Gotta be lucky with the subject and really be at the very limit of your gear to maybe gain a little from it. Not sure it's worth the time spent unless you have a really special case.

Had a look on a couple of files but nothing striking, and as usual with these AI things a couple of places where it's actually worse.

Gotta be lucky with the subject and really be at the very limit of your gear to maybe gain a little from it. Not sure it's worth the time spent unless you have a really special case.

What kind of screen do you have? On my macs Retina display there’s a very noticeable difference. It does depend on your image though

4K 50".
Yeah in the little 400% magnified preview you can see a difference if your photo is super sharp to start with, but at any normal size forget it. Yes it is a little better if you output full size and have a good reason to, which for me is basically never so any improvement would usually get thrown out when downsizing.
So yes a tad better and I might use it if becomes a default non-destructively selectable process version one day but not worse the hassle of the whole "making a duplicate file that is 4.5x the size of the original RAW" process unless in very rare cases.
They obviously don't believe enough in it themselves not to make it a selectable process yet...

Last edited:
4K 50".
Yeah in the little 400% magnified preview you can see a difference if your photo is super sharp to start with, but at any normal size forget it. Yes it is a little better if you output full size and have a good reason to, which for me is basically never so any improvement would usually get thrown out when downsizing.
So yes a tad better and I might use it if becomes a default non-destructively selectable process version one day but not worse the hassle of the whole "making a duplicate file that is 4.5x the size of the original RAW" process unless in very rare cases.
They obviously don't believe enough in it themselves not to make it a selectable process yet...

I do agree the duplicate RAWs drive me crazy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito