Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Piggy back original mavic Pro battery to extend range

TexasFlytography

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
You should use the correct lettering:
the Mavic 2 batteries are 4S, the Mavic 1 is 3S

The C rating is an indicator of the continuous discharge rate of a LiPo
You may be the perfect person to answer a question I have. So I am working on battery mods. Of course the external batteries range from 10C, to 40C so on and so on. Do you know what the continuous discharge rating is for the Mavic Pro battery?

Gord Owens

Reaction score
Is there a way to externally connect two mavic Pro batteries on top of each other to extend flying time. I did see external connectors to use other Li-Po batteries.
Building a connector that connects two existing Mavic Pro batteries together shouldn't be hard at all. I would mount them above the battery well, side by side, to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Electrically they need to be in parallel. To avoid cross charging of the higher voltage battery (3-pack)* with the lower voltage (3-pack), it would be an easy addition of two 4A+ rated diodes.

*( just as a side note - inside each Mavic Pro battery are 3 x 3.7V lithium polymer batteries in series. )

With this configuration you will not get double the range of a single Mavic Pro battery pack due to carrying the weight of the extra battery pack.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For me, I would build a 6-bay pack (2 sets of 3 batteries in series, then in parallel with each other) of my own using 21700 lipo 4000 mAh batteries that would sit right on top of the Mavic Pro. The advantage to this configuration would be the ease of changing out the batteries, and of course, the low cost of 21700 lipo batteries in comparison with Mavic Pro batteries. I use them in my vape and three of them cost me about $45 CDN total. I would not bother/worry about cross charging. I haven't built this or tested it, but my best guess would be 40+ minutes of flying time without needing to recharge.

TexasFlytography

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Building a connector that connects two existing Mavic Pro batteries together shouldn't be hard at all. I would mount them above the battery well, side by side, to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Electrically they need to be in parallel. To avoid cross charging of the higher voltage battery (3-pack)* with the lower voltage (3-pack), it would be an easy addition of two 4A+ rated diodes.

*( just as a side note - inside each Mavic Pro battery are 3 x 3.7V lithium polymer batteries in series. )

With this configuration you will not get double the range of a single Mavic Pro battery pack due to carrying the weight of the extra battery pack.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For me, I would build a 6-bay pack (2 sets of 3 batteries in series, then in parallel with each other) of my own using 21700 lipo 4000 mAh batteries that would sit right on top of the Mavic Pro. The advantage to this configuration would be the ease of changing out the batteries, and of course, the low cost of 21700 lipo batteries in comparison with Mavic Pro batteries. I use them in my vape and three of them cost me about $45 CDN total. I would not bother/worry about cross charging. I haven't built this or tested it, but my best guess would be 40+ minutes of flying time without needing to recharge.
At and above 3000mah packs I am having an issue with the extra cells charging the Mavic battery.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DronePilotsServices