DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Piggy back original mavic Pro battery to extend range

You should use the correct lettering:
the Mavic 2 batteries are 4S, the Mavic 1 is 3S

The C rating is an indicator of the continuous discharge rate of a LiPo
You may be the perfect person to answer a question I have. So I am working on battery mods. Of course the external batteries range from 10C, to 40C so on and so on. Do you know what the continuous discharge rating is for the Mavic Pro battery?

Reactions: Texas Mavic
I used 2X 3000mah Turnigy LIHv’s, dual mounted, with the battery clip. This is a hover test result. Would you consider this a success or a potentially dangerous future issue?

Attachments

• 5E607242-B82E-4C75-8536-C2B965DDAB29.jpeg
    5E607242-B82E-4C75-8536-C2B965DDAB29.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 58
Is there a way to externally connect two mavic Pro batteries on top of each other to extend flying time. I did see external connectors to use other Li-Po batteries.
Building a connector that connects two existing Mavic Pro batteries together shouldn't be hard at all. I would mount them above the battery well, side by side, to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Electrically they need to be in parallel. To avoid cross charging of the higher voltage battery (3-pack)* with the lower voltage (3-pack), it would be an easy addition of two 4A+ rated diodes.

*( just as a side note - inside each Mavic Pro battery are 3 x 3.7V lithium polymer batteries in series. )

With this configuration you will not get double the range of a single Mavic Pro battery pack due to carrying the weight of the extra battery pack.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For me, I would build a 6-bay pack (2 sets of 3 batteries in series, then in parallel with each other) of my own using 21700 lipo 4000 mAh batteries that would sit right on top of the Mavic Pro. The advantage to this configuration would be the ease of changing out the batteries, and of course, the low cost of 21700 lipo batteries in comparison with Mavic Pro batteries. I use them in my vape and three of them cost me about $45 CDN total. I would not bother/worry about cross charging. I haven't built this or tested it, but my best guess would be 40+ minutes of flying time without needing to recharge.

I have found them, but can't figure out how to order them off the Chinese websites.

Attachments

• O1CN01vCChNo1fYHs0jiRDJ_!!82324018.jpg
    O1CN01vCChNo1fYHs0jiRDJ_!!82324018.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 47
  • O1CN011y1kQDcHNTVSZtt_!!0-fleamarket.jpg_728x728.jpg
    O1CN011y1kQDcHNTVSZtt_!!0-fleamarket.jpg_728x728.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 47
  • TB2wzU7oHorBKNjSZFjXXc_SpXa_!!0-fleamarket.jpg_728x728.jpg
    TB2wzU7oHorBKNjSZFjXXc_SpXa_!!0-fleamarket.jpg_728x728.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 43
Can you provide url for the website? I also see 14k meters from the base and in the city! That’s way beyond, are they using cellular usb card and push controller via cell network and still maintain video feed and controls with remote?
All of attached pictures sound interesting.

I have it on order. I'd hate to post the website and then someone lose their money. I will post the results soon. In the meantime, here's a flight with one.

Hi
Here is my "final" solution for a battery made out of 2 original batteries.
Ok I am not using the smart board but I have about 2 years Mavic Pro long flights experience. It will still autoland on critical voltage and will not crash on somebody's head. Can be done and with the smart board for battery feedback but you will need to charge with another charger most likely.
My one has a 3š where each cell is made out of 2 original cells. I am not if for the leaderboard. I use it for up to 20 km missions depending on conditions and does the job.
There are no mods required for aircraft. Still ok for resale but warranty related maybe DJI folks will have a question or 2 about why draws 11 amps instead of 8 ?
Hope this give you another perspective
Cheers

Ok people here it is...

Result Almost 35 min hover :) Who hooo!!! :) Happy with this

Details:
Mavic Pro (not Platinum)
low noise dji props - about 5700 rpm compared with about 6300 rpm stock props - Master Airscrew can give even a bit better according to quality Youtube reviews.
firmware 3.700
app dji go boost. Suposed to be on 1.5 w transmitter power but I cant tell, I have no means of measuring.
front sensors off
downward vision on
Battery settings a bit adjusted but still auto landed at 10.8 v (measured before turning off the drone with quality meter)
Total weight 930 g (my flying weight is 933 g)
No video or photo taken.I usually do not record video on "long haul" missions, I just take few shots.
flying mode OPTI -1.5 meters above bed - flying above bed is a safeguard against crashes and the wife will not feel any dust smell on return.

Battery:
13.04 v before turning on - one hour after charging. At end of charging 13.05 v
10.80 v after landing, (drone still powered on after landing, so still about 1 amp drawing while measuring voltage). The drone will not fly bellow the safe min voltage regardless any settings I am aware to date or if you have the smart board on or not, thanks DJI for safe design approach.
Voltages after 2 minutes rest 10.94 total 3.64/3.65/3.56 individual
Cells are over 2 years old (combo purchased over 2 years ago) I bought them second hand from the initial owner who last time charged them about 5 -6 months ago and did not store them at storage voltage. (never charged them since) two had one bar and one 2 bars on purchase.
about 26 degrees celsius after landing. feels a bit warm but not hot.
Please do not fly close to battery limits - without battery feedback - if you are new, flying in unknown conditions or sport mode ! This is for steady cruising in known environment without sudden changes in altitude, speed or both.
I highly recommend UAV forecast. I check even when I am not flying wind conditions against current conditions given by app and is usually spot on.

Ambient: my bedroom, 20 degrees Celsius/ 0 wind/ about 380 m above sea level (this is for people which want to know air density) and 0 wind.

Attached in the zip are the csv (motor start-motor stop) and the event log. I have no time now for analysis but will go through it later today or tomorrow. If something is bad, (ESC temps, PWM etc will let you know)

Future work: Aerodynamic improvements on the hump and re orienting the front legs for vertical aerials at about 25 degrees tilt (30 mph), followed by "real life" missions

Thanks to Texasflytography for tips and all the community for useful treads over time.

Cheers

Attachments

• Almost35MinHowerIndoors.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 26
Can you provide the link to the product that got cancelled?

Btw. That is cool video! I’m assuming the video is from pre-recorded flight. I was looking at the controller and at 14km it still show very good connection. Are there any mods that extend controller range with video feedback?

Hi
Here is my "final" solution for a battery made out of 2 original batteries.
Ok I am not using the smart board but I have about 2 years Mavic Pro long flights experience. It will still autoland on critical voltage and will not crash on somebody's head. Can be done and with the smart board for battery feedback but you will need to charge with another charger most likely.
My one has a 3š where each cell is made out of 2 original cells. I am not if for the leaderboard. I use it for up to 20 km missions depending on conditions and does the job.
There are no mods required for aircraft. Still ok for resale but warranty related maybe DJI folks will have a question or 2 about why draws 11 amps instead of 8 ?
Hope this give you another perspective
Cheers
Old tread but...gold. ( for me ).
Since I fly almost exclusively over pine woods towards high mountain tops, I was looking for a mod like yours. Having four batteries, I could go with a double par setup. Any help ?
GREETINGS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000