DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilot Handout For Law Enforcement & Public Interest. UK

well some people aren't aware you don't have to give the details unless you break the drone code.
and if we don't flex our rights we lose them, that is all.
It's my understanding that if the police suspect you have commited a crime and they advise you of what crime they suspect, then you are obliged to provide details if asked, and failure to do so is an offence in itself. Note that it hinges on what they suspect, as opposed to what you have or haven't actually done. In my case they initially suspected I had committed an offence, but were able to be convinced otherwise with a little further explanation from me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's my understanding that if the police suspect you have commited a crime and they advise you of what crime they suspect, then you are obliged to provide details if asked, and failure to do so is an offence in itself.
& that's the reason I asked and why it's so important to know, you don't have to give them your details unless you're arrested for the offense and there's no such offence of not giving your details on suspicion of anything as suspicion is only opinion without evidence.
so I guess if they do tell you that you have to give details it boils down to how confident you are that you haven't broken the law or drone code.

This seems to back up my understanding, as outlined in post #22. Note that this could well be specific to Scotland, where the encounter happened.

Either way, I was spared the issue by clarifying that I was not committing a crime before they asked for my details.

This seems to back up my understanding, as outlined in post #22. Note that this could well be specific to Scotland, where the encounter happened.

Either way, I was spared the issue by clarifying that I was not committing a crime before they asked for my details.
whoaaa thats a crazy law!
explains it though, I'm in England.

Reactions: scro
whoaaa thats a crazy law!
explains it though, I'm in England.
Does indeed seem a bit overreaching. If PC Plod wants your details then they just need to "suspect" you of committing a crime and tell you that, then you're forced to provide the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does indeed seem a bit overreaching. If PC Plod wants your details then they just need to "suspect" you of committing a crime and tell you that, then you're forced to provide the details.
The police college line is "...someone fitting your description was seen near **** where the offense of **** was reported (fill in blanks as applicable)".😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife