DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilot Handout For Law Enforcement & Public Interest. UK

Well according to the rdq lawsuit, the faa was having ex facto conversations with law enforcement to tell, them waht they needed to know.

@Spikes Mavic ,the idea in principle ,is a good one ,but for me ,i prefer to wear my A2 C,of C badge and my FPVUK badge ,while i am flying, and if people approach me, then i will politely ask them to move away from my immediate vicinity for their own safety, to allow me to land my drone and then have a conversation with them once the drone has landed,
if they persist in being aggressive or get too close to me, i then get out my phone, and tell them that i am calling the police as they are invading my space ,and interfering with the safe operation of my drone on the one occasion when i had to do this it was enough to convince them to back off ,and the person concerned decided i was serious and left the area

can anyone comment on it.
I am in the States (USA), but I imagine most folks are pretty much the same all over when it comes to toy, hobby, and sport drones.

I am curious, to whom would you distribute this, and how would you distribute it? If a police officer came up to you while you are flying a drone, do you really expect him to respond to you by reading this?

I would expect any police officer to already know this or if they did not, they would not take this as "lying down…" If they ask you, "What are you doing?" you might get away with, "Please allow me to bring the drone back and land it safely." Perhaps, they will engage you in a friendly discourse but that entails you splitting your concentration between the police officer and flying your drone, not a particularly safe bet…

If a "busy-body" (Karen or Kevin) were to approach you, would you expect them to read it and then politely leave you in peace, Not Likely…

I do not see any use for this other than to hand out during a Drone Demonstration, when the folks are receptive to learning about Drones…

@Spikes Mavic ,the idea in principle ,is a good one ,but for me ,i prefer to wear my A2 C,of C badge and my FPVUK badge ,while i am flying, and if people approach me, then i will politely ask them to move away from my immediate vicinity for their own safety, to allow me to land my drone and then have a conversation with them once the drone has landed,
if they persist in being aggressive or get too close to me, i then get out my phone, and tell them that i am calling the police as they are invading my space ,and interfering with the safe operation of my drone on the one occasion when i had to do this it was enough to convince them to back off ,and the person concerned decided i was serious and left the area
I am in the States (USA), but I imagine most folks are pretty much the same all over when it comes to toy, hobby, and sport drones.

I am curious, to whom would you distribute this, and how would you distribute it? If a police officer came up to you while you are flying a drone, do you really expect him to respond to you by reading this?

I would expect any police officer to already know this or if they did not, they would not take this as "lying down…" If they ask you, "What are you doing?" you might get away with, "Please allow me to bring the drone back and land it safely." Perhaps, they will engage you in a friendly discourse but that entails you splitting your concentration between the police officer and flying your drone, not a particularly safe bet…

If a "busy-body" (Karen or Kevin) were to approach you, would you expect them to read it and then politely leave you in peace, Not Likely…

I do not see any use for this other than to hand out during a Drone Demonstration, when the folks are receptive to learning about Drones…
I always after safely landing my drone try to educate , failing that as OMM states , tell whoever is giving you grief that you are calling the police and reporting them for interfering with a lawful drone flight and threatening Their threatening behaviour, I also when people start to approach me turn my drone around and fly nearer to myself to take their photo. As I am over 80 years old I always worry about getting into a fight with a much younger person wanting my drone and camera equipment , I then mention in my conversation with them if I suspect an ulterior motive that the images from my drone have already winged their way to my computer at home , makes me feel a lot safer. But have been flying drones since the Phantom 2, I fly the Inspire , Phantom 4 Pro , Mavic 2 Pro , Mini 2 and mini 3 and my experience of people have been more than positive, more curious than confronting, only some persons working for the NTrust and CADW have been quite aggressive, not all of them but some. Have overflown lots of English Heritage sites after checking for flight restrictions and have never been bothered once, I carry a small copy of the CAA drone rules to hand out to anyone bothered about my flying , and if they are then reasonable I nearly always offer to show them the images I have taken on that flight which reinforces that my drone flying in not drone spying. Cheers Len

Hi
I am trying to compile a "Pilot Handout For Law Enforcement & Public Interest" for the UK, can anyone comment on it.

cheers
Spike
I carry something similar, but the e-version. A screenshot of CAP1974 and 2012. The same with CAA registration, proof of insurance and a highlighted screen grab of the current CAA page detailing the rules of deployment for whichever drone I'm using.
But I won't show or share personal information regarding identity or address with anyone who isn't the DMARES " duly authorized entity" (the copper).

I carry something similar, but the e-version. A screenshot of CAP1974 and 2012. The same with CAA registration, proof of insurance and a highlighted screen grab of the current CAA page detailing the rules of deployment for whichever drone I'm using.
But I won't show or share personal information regarding identity or address with anyone who isn't the DMARES " duly authorized entity" (the copper).
Hi
Tks for your reply, question what is 2012 ?, not heard of that one !.
cheers
Spike

Reactions: LoudThunder
Hi
Tks for your reply, question what is 2012 ?, not heard of that one !.
cheers
Spike
The CAA have published a series of one page CAP crib-sheets. Search for CAP2012 on to the CAA web page and you'll find all of them downloadable as PDF's. I also have an e-photo I.D that relates to the organization I survey on behalf of, but once more: it's only the boys (and girls) in blue who would be shown that.

Attachments

• CAP2012.png
    CAP2012.png
    225.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Hi
I am trying to compile a "Pilot Handout For Law Enforcement & Public Interest" for the UK, can anyone comment on it.

cheers
Spike
Spike:

I read this through completely. It is wonderfully written and correct in every way.Unfortunately, you are living in a make believe world where people will take the time to read this when they are really coming over to you in an angry mood. These people are in no condition to stop and read and digest this information. and practically speaking, it would take your attention off of VLOS to stop and find this sheet of paper and give it to the intruder. It will cause you to have a loss of sight of the drone and possibly more serious consequences. In summary , in my opinion only, good thought, but bad idea.

I would resort to my usual way to handle visitors..."Please allow me to land first and I will discuss with you." Short and sweet. In fact, I try to always NOT put myself in jeopardy in the first place by flying "stealth." I fly from shaded areas, deserted areas, I check my surroundings for uniformed people before taking off, and stay as far from people as possible. I feel most vulnerable when flying in a city and best when flying out in the country. I could go on but I do not want to engage with these people in any way.

Dale
Miami

I always after safely landing my drone try to educate , failing that as OMM states , tell whoever is giving you grief that you are calling the police and reporting them for interfering with a lawful drone flight
I understand where you are coming from, I do not want to get into a physical situation either. When I fly in very public area where I might be approached, I use one of my old cell phones. The camera still works perfectly and I clip it to my shirt on my chest and start videotaping, even an old 8GB phone will video tape for hours and hours…

Some members, ones who might be Professional Pilots out performing Commercial Work have bought the high-end body cameras that the police use. I also have my Part 107 License to perform commercial work, but I really only use it to fly where the FAA will not let Recreational Flyers fly…

If I am approached, I tell the "interloper" that I am "Live Streaming" the drone flight to my YouTube Channel… and let them know that they too are being live streamed.

That usually cools everyone down since they think their antics are going out over the internet.

Actually, I am only videotaping and not livestreaming. I just say this so they might think twice about grabbing the phone if they think they can't get away with it, but if they think grabbing the phone and running off with it will go un-noticed, they think twice…

But even just a video taping of the instance with audio, will provide proof to the authorities that the other person was the aggressor…

Good Luck and Fly Safe…

Reactions: Spikes Mavic
Bad Idea;
But you asked for comments:
  • Telling a policeman or any truly authirized person, what their job is. (Ouch.)
  • Giving details in writing. (only if required by law)
  • Mentioning insurance. (Now ther is a claim to be had)
Just a format thing, FYI (For Your Information)
You should introduce the use of capitals and spell them out, the first time they are used in a document. You just need to move some words around.
Oh! it is also 'may fly' and not 'can fly'.
(See how anoying it is for someone to comment. It always sounds like a criticism.)

If I were to write such a paper (FYI I doubt that I will)
I would just stick to facts and cut out;
the do and the do not;
the I will and the I will not;
the you and the me.​

Hi

cheers
Spike
Hi Spike, great idea so I'll write something the same as you but I'll omit the first bit about name/address etc as I think it might be tempting grief from some anti drone ppl, I don't really see the need for anybody to know your info except for the police etc,
well done

Hi Spike, great idea so I'll write something the same as you but I'll omit the first bit about name/address etc as I think it might be tempting grief from some anti drone ppl, I don't really see the need for anybody to know your info except for the police etc,
well done
No different than remote id module

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard