DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilot Handout For Law Enforcement & Public Interest. UK

Spikes Mavic

Reactions
Hi
I am trying to compile a "Pilot Handout For Law Enforcement & Public Interest" , can anyone comment on it.

ps: I posted this first on the US forum, should of been on the UK one .

Cheers
Spike

Attachments

• Pilot Hand Out screen shot from Word19.05.23.png
    Pilot Hand Out screen shot from Word19.05.23.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: Killfox
@Spikes Mavic the forum is world wide i am viewing this thread on the same forum as before

What a good Idea!!! With your permission, I'd like to copy and modify it for U.S. I just need to change a few
items and this would be a great handout to have handy. I can also see where it might give 'upset onlooker' time to 'cool down' while I begin to land, before they proceed to give me their grievance. I have yet to be confronted in my one year of flying, other than a few 'thumbs up' and cheers of approval. The local sheriffs have seen me flying and just drive on by. Having a handout at the ready just might be the thing to defuse a potential conflict... or at least promote a 'civil' discussion. Thank you for your post.

Hi
I am trying to compile a "Pilot Handout For Law Enforcement & Public Interest" , can anyone comment on it.

Cheers
Spike
Nice idea, and I'd be interested in the outcome. The rules can be quite confusing, or hard to find. - In the interests of best grammar, please remove the apostrophe in the last paragraph ("drone's" changed to "drones"). Sorry for the correction.

Hi there, I do want to add my two cents to this, because I think what you are doing is a good idea and maybe some of the things we've been doing here in Canada can apply in some way. I carry a binder in my vehicle at all times. It's quite thick and looks impressive if anyone wants to check our accreditation. Some of the items contained within are our standard operating procedures. This covers everything from general considerations, to pre-flight checklists, weather limitations, mental attitude, communications, emergency operating procedures (ie: fly away) emergency landing/ditching, notification of first responders, flight records, manuals, night VFR operations, weather conditions and I could go on, but there is no doubt that we've done our homework. We have sections for certificates, my pilot certificate, aircraft, Insurance certificates, etc. If we are flying in controlled airspace we have permits from NavCan (like FAA in the USA) for operating in that airspace, permits from the city or town that has certified our operation. Over the last decade we have almost never had a situation where we couldn't quickly justify our intent to operate. This might sound like overkill to someone who is not doing this commercially, but I can tell you that when you pull all of this out of your vehicle and hand it to someone there is very little argument as to whether or not you are allowed to do this. We also have a wrap on our vehicle that includes Transport Canada Certified in bold lettering. We have bright orange safety cones around the takeoff and landing area and we usually wear safety vests. We certainly do not try and sneak in anywhere as we are very visible. Last week we filmed construction on the runway of an international airport without incident. Just a few thoughts to consider.

Hi

Cheers
Spike
It's not official unless it's from the FAA or Transport Canada or whomever the authority is of your sky's in your country. So either print out the laws your concerned most with from the official sources and make sure they are sited properly, or this will prove to be useless.

Law enforcement has ways to find out on their own. Citizens are either for or against drones. You can't argue with them as they won't listen not matter what.

Reactions: mavic53
Hi

Cheers
Spike
I wouldn't give anyone my personal info including police as you only have to legally if you've broken the law or drone code.
it's the exact same law as ID yourself in the street if you're not breaking the law, you simply don't have to.

In complete agreement with Deleted member 177263. The only people who should be handed any kind of proof of certification or identification are the Duly Accredited Representatives of Authority (the police) in accordance with DMARES: CAP1974. If you're going to hand anything to an 'interested party': get some business cards printed with your logo and a contact number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops after writing this I noticed the OP has not been on since a few days after he posted this in May. But here goes anyway.

I know this thread was started months ago but recent comments were made so it was refreshed.

How did it work out? I too like the idea, particularly for law enforcement, but do agree that you should limit personal information.

This is me personally, but I think it is too long, particularly for agitated people approaching you. For filing it with a bureaucrat, it would be great.

Call me cynical, but most people would not read a lengthy paper particularly on the spot. Umm to be honest, I did not read it all myself. My eyes glazed over. Now if you had included a picture of a Page 3 girl, I might have been more attentive.

Be simple. Make it clear that you are legally flying the drone and have the appropriate approval.

This is a good idea - I'd personally summarise the Drone Code (amended to reflect the drone in question) in a one pager with a title "I am registered with the CAA" "I have x qualification (if needed)" "I follow these rules..."

Last edited:
I have this in my drone bag:

The one time I've been stopped and questioned by police I pulled this out and showed it to them. They were definitely not up-to-speed on current drone regs, but appreciated the information and concluded that I was fully within the law.
The police made contact with you over something they knew nothing about?

When you say "stopped and questioned" where you detained and asked questions the thinking is you might be breaking the law? Or was this a friendly consensual stop and chat, curiousity sort of deal?

The encounter started off fairly polite with the police stopping on the street and asking if I was allowed to fly a drone where I was (in an urban environment). I explained that I was indeed allowed to and they then moved off, and had a call with their HQ. After their call they came back fairly swiftly, demanding that I stop flying immediately or they would need to charge me! HQ had provided the police just the rules for over 250g drones, and if my drone fell into that category then I would have been falling foul of some of the requirements. I landed, explained the finer details of the sub 250g rules and A1 subcategory and they both seemed happy enough with the explanation, backed up by the CAA document linked above. The encounter ended in a friendly manner with them being kind of interested in the drone and the shots I was getting.

The irony of the whole thing was that we were passed by 5-6 electric motorbikes masquerading as e-bikes, and blatantly illegal on multiple points (no helmet, no license, no insurance, non-compliant lighting, no number plates etc...), but they didn't seem interested in them - just my really "dangerous" drone.

The 2 policemen were just trying to do their jobs, but were clearly not well trained on drone (or e-bike!) laws and poorly supported by their HQ. I wasn't going to gain much by getting into an argument with them so maintained a polite attitude with them and it all ended well for me.

The irony of the whole thing was that we were passed by 5-6 electric motorbikes masquerading as e-bikes, and blatantly illegal on multiple points (no helmet, no license, no insurance, non-compliant lighting, no number plates etc...), but they didn't seem interested in them - just my really "dangerous" drone.

A great point. Drones are comparatively extremely safe next to most moving things in the urban environment. I’d love to get some stats on this tbh.

Last edited:
The encounter started off fairly polite with the police stopping on the street and asking if I was allowed to fly a drone where I was (in an urban environment). I explained that I was indeed allowed to and they then moved off, and had a call with their HQ. After their call they came back fairly swiftly, demanding that I stop flying immediately or they would need to charge me! HQ had provided the police just the rules for over 250g drones, and if my drone fell into that category then I would have been falling foul of some of the requirements. I landed, explained the finer details of the sub 250g rules and A1 subcategory and they both seemed happy enough with the explanation, backed up by the CAA document linked above. The encounter ended in a friendly manner with them being kind of interested in the drone and the shots I was getting.

The 2 policemen were just trying to do their jobs, but were clearly not well trained on drone (or e-bike!) laws and poorly supported by their HQ. I wasn't going to gain much by getting into an argument with them so maintained a polite attitude with them and it all ended well for me.
so did you give them your ID?

Does it matter? I don't think they asked for my details in the end, as there wasn't anything they needed to take further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do elaborate
well some people aren't aware you don't have to give the details unless you break the drone code.
and if we don't flex our rights we lose them, that is all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ