DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilot to drone orientation icon on the bottom of the fly screen

The drone is represented as an arrow when is in front of you 180 degrees and turns to a triangle when the drone is behind you. At least that's the goal.
The issue in discussion is that the application is presenting or interpreting that the drone is behind you when in reality is in front of you. This makes difficult to point the antenna in the correct direction when the drone is far away and you can not see it. Flying FPV especially when you are not familiarized with the area where you are flying became a bigger issue.
Why are you flying when "you can not see it"?

Reactions: ajkm
The drone is represented as an arrow when is in front of you 180 degrees and turns to a triangle when the drone is behind you. At least that's the goal.
The issue in discussion is that the application is presenting or interpreting that the drone is behind you when in reality is in front of you. This makes difficult to point the antenna in the correct direction when the drone is far away and you can not see it. Flying FPV especially when you are not familiarized with the area where you are flying became a bigger issue.

Thank you, I had not appreciated the subtle distinction.

The problem now happens sometimes in the Ipad Pro 11 setup. Just, in the beginning, I had the issue and once the drone was 10ft away from me was fix. Here is the setup.
I will post later a screen recording.

Had another chance to go flying again today and tried to remember to check the indicator (I don't normally pay it much attention) and noticed that it was generally incorrect enough to not be useful.

Reactions: old man mavic
Had same issue on iPhone 11. The icon placement is dependent on the GPS of both devices, the drone and the phone, plus the compass in the phone. Found the iPhone location services for compass calibration was off. Its under privacy, location services, go all the way to the bottom and select system services. There is a compass calibration service. We tried a different iPone and it all worked fine, so knew it was something in the phone.

I to have this issue. After a recal of phone compass it got better for 1 flight. However it indicated the drone was facing me when it faced away and movements right and left of my self were reversed. I imagine all would be right if i could get arrow pointed the same direction as the drone

Just made a small discovery. I had the problem since my first flight,but today everything was working ok.. Connected disconnected a couple of times to check it and still the reading was correct.
The only different thing was that,I had disabled auto-rotation today. :-/

Maybe for me that was the problem. I have an android phone btw.

Reactions: scro
It's funny that there's been more discussion about orientation relative to operator for the Mini than any other model, yet they all can show heads up orientation and subject to the same device compass issues.

I think I may have a cure. It works for me anyway. Stand about ten feet from the MM before take off. It doesn’t seem to like being too close to the RC.

There is a fix posted on the DJI forums. It is says to recalibrate your phone's compass while it is in the remote holder and connected to the fly app. Apparently being so close to the remote affects the phones compass.

Reactions: scro
I think it indeed improves things alot :
So, once everything is powered up and ready, just wave the RC+phone in a big '8' shape (tilting it in the movement direction at the same time) during about 10s.
Then take off and enjoy [emoji3]

Reactions: tonydeli7
I don't tend to use the small indicator much but yesterday I had a play about, and came to the same conclusion: calibrate phone compass with it latched in to the controller.

With everything connected, drone hovering, good GPS lock on phone and drone the indicator was about 95deg out to the actual drone position. With everything still "live" I tried waving the phone/controller in a few figure-of-8 patterns and it suddenly improved a lot, with the indicator displaying correctly to within about 5-10 deg. I kept the drone hovering, with no stick input throughout the whole procedure, so the only thing that changed was the phone compass calibration

Reactions: tonydeli7
There is a fix posted on the DJI forums. It is says to recalibrate your phone's compass while it is in the remote holder and connected to the fly app. Apparently being so close to the remote affects the phones compass.

I've been searching for this as I'm having the same issue with an Android. I tried the Maps --> figure 8 for phone compass and same issue.
Could you please link me to that forum thread for a fix as I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

This may help...if you touch the flag when it appears it will tell you the problem
IMG_0005.JPGIMG_0004.JPG

Thank you but unfortunately that is not my issue. I don't get a flag, it just thinks my drone is behind me or to my left when it is directly in front of me. I tried the things I read through this thread and nothing has fixed it.

@akawho - I forget "all that's been said" in this thread but several things I've done. Figure 8 compass calibration with the phone on the controller but slightly pulled away as far as the cable would let me, maybe 1/2 inch (1cm) helped. It might have been just enough extra distance to get the phone away from the FC magnetic interference.

I also found that it was at takeoff I was having most of my orientation problems, but on rechecking the screen when the mini was further away from me, the arrow now pointed correctly.

Most importantly, I very seldom use that orientation icon but always refer to the lower left map, or enlarge it by tapping on it to switch with the FPV video image. It shows much more information and is a great aid in getting pointed in the right direction or flying home.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom