DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plane hits drone in Oregon

In the link in post #27, the pilot of the plane couldn't say it was a drone.
There are other interviews with, and comments by, the pilot where he specifically said that it was a drone. Whether or not he could actually tell what it was is another story.

With the increase in interest in this issue I took the liberty of creating a database connected NTSB database NTSB Aviation Accident Database & Synopses to make a data model based off the entirety of the incidents reported to the FAA in the US. This data model is interactive and self-updating. The second page includes the map view

My point is that there have been 1236 incidents in the last year alone with 389 fatalities and those numbers have been falling every year. Its interesting to note that not ONE of these incidents have been attributed to drones.

I hope this will at the very least be interesting.

There are other interviews with, and comments by, the pilot where he specifically said that it was a drone.
Can you point to any other reports.
I've searched and didn't find much.
I'm puzzled that this alleged incident is not well known since it happened a year ago.

Reactions: kadras
I'm puzzled that this alleged incident is not well known since it happened a year ago.
The original article stated this Weir’s story is unique in that he’s the first plausible case of a drone hitting a fixed wing airplane, according to the National Transportation Safety Board. If that's correct, you'd expect to find the story everywhere.

Reactions: Meta4
The original article stated this Weir’s story is unique in that he’s the first plausible case of a drone hitting a fixed wing airplane, according to the National Transportation Safety Board. If that's correct, you'd expect to find the story everywhere.
His plane isn’t in the NTSB database anywhere at any time period. There’s also no Cessna incidents listed in Oregon that have even close to his registration#.

Reactions: Rpeeps and Meta4
Local pilot speaks out about drone crash as FAA takes steps to address violations

This news report with the pilot interview was from last Monday and may be the same as what the OP linked to (I don't do the twits, so I didn't bother clicking on the links. Just googled with information from what other people had included in their posts). In this interview, the pilot says "they think it was a quadcopter." I'm not sure who "they" are.

Video: What happens when a drone hits an airplane wing?

The pilot commented at the bottom of this story saying that he 'had a mid-air with a “Drone” '. So nowhere is there any more information or "facts" than what he has personally said.

Video: What happens when a drone hits an airplane wing?

The pilot commented at the bottom of this story saying that he 'had a mid-air with a “Drone” '. So nowhere is there any more information or "facts" than what he has personally said.
Thanks .. I hadn't found that last one.
In it he still doesn't give any details that help identify what he says was a drone.
No sighting information, just what looks like a presumption it was a drone:
Dale L. Weir says
October 30, 2018 at 9:36 pm
As someone who actually has had a mid-air with a “Drone”, I feel qualified to comment.
In June of this year I had a mid-air with a “Drone” in my C-170B at 120 mph at 1800 ft agl while transitioning Class D airspace while in contact with the tower. We had to replace the wingtip and the out-board 18” of the leading edge skin of the right wing. The spar was not damaged. The NTSB has the damaged parts and are trying to determine the make of the object, which was totally destroyed. To the best of my knowledge the operator of the “Drone” was not injured.
Fortunately the impact was on the wingtip, the windscreen or horizontal stabilizer most likely would have a different outcome.
The airplane was down for about two months for repairs and I got a nice surprise in the form of a “surcharge” on my insurance renewal.
The next one could be fatal, but I am sure the operator of the “Drone” will be not be injured.

The new information was him saying that the NTSB had examined the damage ... but you'd expect to have heard plenty if they had confirmed the damage was caused by a drone.
It might have been a drone, but I'm reminded of several other incidents with what was presumed to be a drone and reported as such but ended up not being drone related.

Here are a few:
South Australia

Mozambique

New Zealand

Mexico

Actually the TV channel reworked the report and reposted it. FWIW, it deals with areas near airports, although the main featured pilot/aircraft info does not clarify altitude or location. Still it is an FAA recorded incident.

The damage shown is strange to me.

I could build a program that cross references google earth ground altitudes with GPS data and automatically sends enforcement letters to the the offending pilots when their MSL altitude minus the ground altitude of the gps coordinate dips below 1000. It would send the enforcement letter to the address produced by cross referencing the registration# of the aircraft with the address on file for the registration and I could probably do it in 5 days and cost under $10000.

If it’s for their own safety and the safety of the skies I’m sure there would be widespread support amount pilots given their widespread and vocal concern on this matter.
What are you talking about. Are you saying pilots are not allowed to fly under 1000 feet? You need to read the the Part 91 regulations. Please don't fly a drone until you do

What are you talking about. Are you saying pilots are not allowed to fly under 1000 feet? You need to read the the Part 91 regulations. Please don't fly a drone until you do
No the comment was in response to a question about how you would ENFORCE such a regulation if it WAS to enacted, hypothetically. Please read the full thread, please don’t comment until you do

The same memo, over and over again:

... But it was a drone.

ALT-story: Pilot screwing around on ground does tip damage against a pole/tractor/whatever. "it was a drone." Mystery aerodrome damage not covered by insurance. "It was a drone."

Reactions: BD0G
Poor drone ?. This pilot must have been flying too low. We need a rule that manned aircraft can’t fly lower than 1000 feet except during take off and landing. I see the issue of innocent drones being murdered by irresponsible manned aircraft in the future getting worse. We need tougher regulations on these manned aircraft before things get out of control. Never forget
Believe that manned aircraft are currently to be 500' AGL minimum except for takeoff, landing and emergency. That's the primary reason for our 400'AGL restriction. Really should be no need for manned aircraft to have 1,000' minimum.

Believe that manned aircraft are currently to be 500' AGL minimum except for takeoff, landing and emergency. That's the primary reason for our 400'AGL restriction. Really should be no need for manned aircraft to have 1,000' minimum.
I dunno 100 feet seems close enough to give both aircraft pilots a heart attack.

I find it curious that this 'incident' happened over a year ago, and is only now being reported. Methinks the pilot is hiding something.

Was it truly a drone? If so was the drone flyer flying in restricted air space?
At what altitude was the drone and airplane flying?
Did they find the operator of the drone?
Did the drone have an FAA ID number?

Things like this we need to hear at least 3 sides of the story.
There have been more airplane accidents caused by pilot error than anything else.

Was it truly a drone? If so was the drone flyer flying in restricted air space?
At what altitude was the drone and airplane flying?
Did they find the operator of the drone?
Did the drone have an FAA ID number?

Things like this we need to hear at least 3 sides of the story.
There have been more airplane accidents caused by pilot error than anything else.

You could always read the thread - the answers to those questions are all in it.

News with a bait and switch? Shows a tello, then a damaged aircraft wing? That'll freak the clueless folks and they want restrictions even for drones < 200g.
Exactly! While this can be a serious issue this story is a complete scare tactic plus it happened over a year ago and it’s a story now!

Something about this isn’t right.

Reactions: Rpeeps
Even at the low speeds of that plane would you actually see the drone before you hit it?
Most likely not. I am a part 61 pilot and can tell you that sometimes we can see birds for example, but usually it is once they are really close and you hope they are just as eager to get out of your path as you are. Unfortunately drone operators are on the ground safe and don't always react as if their life depends on it and are therefore willing to unconsciously take more risks than if they were actually in the air themselves. Now take a whit phantom and try to see it in time to maneuver around it.

With the increase in interest in this issue I took the liberty of creating a database connected NTSB database NTSB Aviation Accident Database & Synopses to make a data model based off the entirety of the incidents reported to the FAA in the US. This data model is interactive and self-updating. The second page includes the map view

My point is that there have been 1236 incidents in the last year alone with 389 fatalities and those numbers have been falling every year. Its interesting to note that not ONE of these incidents have been attributed to drones.

I hope this will at the very least be interesting.

" Its interesting to note that not ONE of these incidents have been attributed to drones"

Assuming that is true and assuming that we continue to have strong regulations to make sure that the two are kept out of the same airspace as each other and also assuming that the drone operators (myself included) follow the regulations, we can keep it that way. Unfortunately there are way too many drone operators who either are uneducated/ignorant of teh regs or just simply do not wish to follow them and have not problems risking the lives of others.

Seems to me that the distance between the 2 impact points would be a fair amount larger than any of the popular quad sized drones could produce.
A hexa or an octo maybe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13