DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Planning a flight in/ through downtown Cincinnati….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions
I have some business that will take me to Cinci next week... and really want to take the drone up in town. I know there is going to be some that advise against it.... but... Im going to do it anyway. With that said, I want to ask for advice so that I can possibly be more prepared.

Can anyone help with the best place to take off? and what should I know before hand??

Thanks in advance, and I'm going to ask everyone to not roast me here lol. * puts flame suite on

Last edited:
Honestly... from looking at this map, it doesn't look too bad.

Attachments

• cincigeo.png
    cincigeo.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
Obviously... great American ballpark is an issue (cinci Reds) but, Im not going to be flying when there is anything going on. Not like Im going to hover out there and try to stream a Reds game lol.

Onward and Upward...

Watch out for the wind.. if you go dowtown.. the winds can be a pain.
I keep that in mind. I've never really had any issues with wind affecting the Mavic but I've never flown in Cinci either.

I'm mostly worried about no fly zones/ getting in trouble lol.

I think you will be fine. I just Kittyhawk"ed" it and you have Lannc you can use up to 400. As you already heard though.. just watch for the Red's schedule at home and any pop up TFRs at the ball fields.

I think you will be fine. I just Kittyhawk"ed" it and you have Lannc you can use up to 400. As you already heard though.. just watch for the Red's schedule at home and any pop up TFRs at the ball fields.

On DJI's geo map.... I just saw a temporary flight restriction pop up which is from a sporting event (Cincinnati VS UCLA)… 1. Its a blue "authorized" zone on the map... Im guessing the drone will not take off in this zone? 2. What happens if a zone like this pops up in the middle of a flight? Also is there a way to get a schedule for this stuff?

On DJI's geo map.... I just saw a temporary flight restriction pop up which is from a sporting event (Cincinnati VS UCLA)… 1. Its a blue "authorized" zone on the map... Im guessing the drone will not take off in this zone? 2. What happens if a zone like this pops up in the middle of a flight? Also is there a way to get a schedule for this stuff?

It's 1 hour before to 1 hour after any games at that stadium. If the TFR pops up in the middle of the flight, the drone starts to land wherever it is, so you really want to research this ahead of time.

I also suggest you check AirMap or KittyHawk for airspace issues. They are going to have a more accurate depiction of the local airspace.

Reactions: Thomas B
I’ve flown in Cincinnati a couple of times. I didn’t experience any issues with wind myself.. be careful and have fun..

It's 1 hour before to 1 hour after any games at that stadium. If the TFR pops up in the middle of the flight, the drone starts to land wherever it is, so you really want to research this ahead of time.

I also suggest you check AirMap or KittyHawk for airspace issues. They are going to have a more accurate depiction of the local airspace.
That's what scares me lol...that's a lost drone more than likely if that happens. I have looked and the reds wont be an issue but it's hard to know if anything else is going to pop up.

So to clarify....if I'm in the air when one of these zones pops up....she's landing where she's at?? That's a problem...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190828-205639_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190828-205639_Chrome.jpg
    980.7 KB · Views: 18
So to clarify....if I'm in the air when one of these zones pops up....she's landing where she's at?? That's a problem...
Correct... if you are in the zone when it activates. Check the NOTAMs on the FAA site to have advanced knowledge of TFRs and times for same.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Another questuon... so this map shows a blue authorization zone with a date and time of 8/31 11:00 hours. It's currently the 29th...so is that zone active? Or will it not be an issue until the date and time shown?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190829-063813.jpg
    Screenshot_20190829-063813.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 13
You can call 1–800–WXBRIEF (1–800–992–7433 ) and ask the briefer for specific flight restrictions around metropolitan Cincy. It's a weather briefing that will also include notams and TFRs.

Cincinnati Drone Laws — Recreational
The first thing to understand about flying a drone in Cincinnati (or any city for that matter) is that under federal FAA regulations, you are either operating recreationally or commercially.
  • Recreational drone pilots fall under the FAA’s model aircraft rules, which are laid out here. As long as your aircraft is registered and you follow the guidance on that page, you’re good to go.

You can call 1–800–WXBRIEF (1–800–992–7433 ) and ask the briefer for specific flight restrictions around metropolitan Cincy. It's a weather briefing that will also include notams and TFRs.

Awesome, that's valuable. I will do that.

Do you know the answer to the last question I asked? Im confused as to how that works. There is an authorized blue zone or whatever showing in Cinci right now but the date and time isn't until later. So... is that in affect now or when the time comes?

Awesome, that's valuable. I will do that.

Do you know the answer to the last question I asked? Im confused as to how that works. There is an authorized blue zone or whatever showing in Cinci right now but the date and time isn't until later. So... is that in affect now or when the time comes?
Were it me, I would call the weather briefer and ask. They are very helpful and understanding.

check this:

Attachments

• cincytfr.pdf
    827.8 KB · Views: 4
check this:

Ok... so I feel like I'm being a little dense here. However, Id rather ask all the stupid questions and be clear than not.... and be ignorant which could result in getting in trouble and or loosing my favorite toy lol.

The last thing that tag says... is "active in 8 hours" so..... that gives me the "planning" I need Im thinking. If I were flying in Cinci right now, I would be ok.. but in 8 hours when that goes live, I need to be back on the ground or its gonna be trouble. If that's the case I have it figured out lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman