DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Planning a risky flight and have some questions.

"Not a good area to park let alone stand around for an hour. I value my belongings and my life."... Alrighty then. Making mental note to stay away from this place if ever I catch myself travelling through...

I would plan an initial test flight using Litchi Waypoints , setting my altitude and distance from the bridge itself fairly reasonable . If it lost signal it would still complete the mission and head back . You could edit the mission getting closer or fly the next yourself if everything looked good . I would be primarily concerned about compass interference around all that steel though .

I second this excellent idea.

Devils advocate:

Flying over a 6 lane road? In the UK that's a massive no no. Super dangerous, illegal, every rule book torn up territory. I'd be very wary of doing that. Go HIGH before passing over at least, and don't loiter over the road, no matter how good the shot looks. Imagine the pileup that could cause.

On the Heliports, etc, just make sure they know where you are flying. Put up a NOTAM (if you are legally able).

Devils advocate:

Flying over a 6 lane road? In the UK that's a massive no no. Super dangerous, illegal, every rule book torn up territory. I'd be very wary of doing that. Go HIGH before passing over at least, and don't loiter over the road, no matter how good the shot looks. Imagine the pileup that could cause.

On the Heliports, etc, just make sure they know where you are flying. Put up a NOTAM (if you are legally able).
Little to offer here over what Britishbigfoot posted. He articulated my initial thoughts. And like I said I wasn't calling you out. I just wouldn't have thought it very safe. That said it was a nice shot.

The old saying about a BOAT, break out another thousand, is accurate. They are fun, but costly. Anyway, I like your approach, and thinking about the various ways to do it. I have a couple similar scenarios I am working on, but people and congestion in socal are the obstacles, since I don't like to fly over humans. Post the vid when you get it.

Some of the adventure is finding good filming places that are legal.

There is an old closed down steel girder bridge I really want to film. Only thing around is 2 heliports within approximately 4 miles. One is a hospital and the other is a police precinct.

Closest place with permission to take off to where I want to film is appropriately 3700 feet away which is ok. Spooky part is it's all over a large river and to get there I'll have to fly over 6 lane active non girder bridge. I figure fly 300-400 feet up in sport mode and should be ok.

My concern is to get the shot I want I will have the active non girder bridge and the girder bridge in between the Mavic and remote. I know I can stay high up and will probably be fine but I want to get lower and closer to the girder bridge for the shots.

Can some experienced piloted give me some tips or should I abandon this idea?

Ps. Have State Farm insurance but don't want to use it. Lol

I would check the sectional charts for the area. i have a few hospital heliports around me. They are all class E airspace with a floor of 700' AGL. Everything from the surface to 700 is actually unrestricted class G, fine for flying. No authorization needed. However, DJI tells me I'm in class D and requires authorization which is not the case.

Was that legal? Don't get me wrong I am not calling you out, but as a 107 myself that seemed to risky at best.
Just curious.

Depends on who you ask. I no longer comment on the rules or who they apply to and when. I actually don't participate much on public forums much anymore because it seems that everyone knows everything all of a sudden without knowing everything it took to get a shot.

Reactions: flightmike
Are we questioning of the bridge because of possible magnetic interface? (I'm super new, sorry)

Finally got er done. Hardest part was figuring out what to leave in of an hour and half video to keep it short.
Still working on the editing process.

Any advice appreciated.

Dang, what an evil bend right in the middle of the bridge. Any idea of the engineering reason why they did that.

Suppose to go straight but they ran into bedrock or something. I remember going across as a kid with my parents. It's hard to believe there was 2 lanes of traffic on there. It's open for walking and biking still.

I'm sure the old girl would be proud to be on camera again. She's did play a part a 1980 John Carpenter movie "Escape from New York". She's been closed to cars since 1968 and doesn't get much attention any more.
She? You guys need to get out more. :p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2