DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plastic Protection on New Mavic Front Sensors

TheoMatthias

Reactions
Just a quick warning to new Mavic owners:

There are small clear plastic protection tabs covering the front obstacle sensors that should be removed before your first flight!

I've probably got 50+ flights on my new Mavic Pro and just noticed that I had forgot to remove one of the small front sensor protection tabs! Fortunately, I have been flying in open areas so it didn't become an issue.

They need to make those things brightly colored and loose at one end (like printer manufacturers do now), so people won't miss them. Some people may even assume the clear covers are there as permanent protection and never remove them.

Reactions: MrsTreat
The ones on mine were not brightly colored. The tab was light-brown/pale-yellowish. Truthfully, I don't even remember taking off the one that was removed!

They're not brightly colored - they should be though. Maybe DJI will do so in future releases (if enough people complain). I suspect that's why printer manufacturers starting making their removable tabs blatantly obvious in recent years.

There weren't any on either one of the two new MP's I received from DJI. But I am glad you raised this issue, I didn't look until a couple of minutes ago to see if there were any on my MP.

When my Mavic arrived it only had one attached and it fell off of its own accord. The one on the top of the gimble was stuck on well and took a bit of effort to remove

Reactions: Vilco
My Mavic gave me a "forward vision system" error (I don't recall the exact wording) until I removed the tabs.

Reactions: MavicCpl15
My Mavic didn't have them on when I received it! I guess only some of them have these plastic pieces on them.

I have left this one on as there is another discussion on this forum that suggests it is meant to stay on as a protective measure.

I assume, mine had both on... As after our first small test flight we got the forward sensing calibration error, and after many hours of the calibration failing and reading forums, we found a thread that said to check for the covers... Whelp low and behold one was there the other wasn't! LOL Calibrated again and it worked just fine! **USER ERROR** :)

When my Mavic arrived it only had one attached and it fell off of its own accord. The one on the top of the gimble was stuck on well and took a bit of effort to remove
Ummmm - that one on the gimbal isn't intended to be removed.

So, this is part of the problem with the way DJI has approached these protection tabs.
  1. Either the written documentation should state (even pictographically) which tabs should or shouldn't be removed, or;
  2. the tabs should be appropriately marked: perhaps bright red for the ones to be removed and green for the ones to stay in place.
My gimbal has a bright yellow tab and, thanks to the posters above, I have put away my needle-nosed pliers and am leaving it in place.

Theo

Reactions: Brojon
Why do you say that? I would think since it has the tab ,it for taking it off.
I left mine on, just for the reason that, it's not hurting anything that I know of .

Reactions: ProBowie
There have been mixed opinions on that. I removed mine when I was taking off all the other protective labels, my reasoning being that if it wasn't meant to be removed it wouldn't have had a pull-tag on it. Whether it's meant to be removed or not, its removal hasn't affected the operation of the Mavic or the gimbal so I'm happy I haven't done any damage. There is similar debate about whether or not to fly the Mavic with the plastic bubble that protects the gimbal attached.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun