DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plastic Protection on New Mavic Front Sensors

So, this is part of the problem with the way DJI has approached these protection tabs.
  1. Either the written documentation should state (even pictographically) which tabs should or shouldn't be removed, or;
  2. the tabs should be appropriately marked: perhaps bright red for the ones to be removed and green for the ones to stay in place.
My gimbal has a bright yellow tab and, thanks to the posters above, I have put away my needle-nosed pliers and am leaving it in place.

Theo
Purely from my years of experience in the world of work, I know numerous vehicles, machines, electrical plugs etc. would have DO NOT REMOVE in big letters to clear up any misunderstanding. No such on the gimbal sticker that I could see though I'm prepared to be corrected.

I can find no reference to the gimbal sticker, or reference to any protective sticker at all anywhere in the manual. Perhaps in the quick start guide?

Edit: Nope, no reference in the Quick Start Guide either.
I can't find it either so I think I'll manage to get by without it ☺

There have been mixed opinions on that. I removed mine when I was taking off all the other protective labels, my reasoning being that if it wasn't meant to be removed it wouldn't have had a pull-tag on it. Whether it's meant to be removed or not, its removal hasn't affected the operation of the Mavic or the gimbal so I'm happy I haven't done any damage. There is similar debate about whether or not to fly the Mavic with the plastic bubble that protects the gimbal attached.
It's just there to prevent scratches. If the aesthetics don't bug you no big deal.
I don't understand why there's a debate on the bubble. No big deal to leave it on as long as it's understood quality will suffer.
I did extensive experiments in the hot Texas summer and there's no heat penalty that I saw. Everything worked exactly as without.
I use mine when I'm practicing close in maneuvers - last thing I need is a branch ripping that flimsy gimbal out by the roots..

It does alter the fact it is needed. It’s not.
No need to be contentious. It is there for a reason - it has a purpose.
What you think of that reason and whether you think it's necessary is not moot since DJI put it there.
You might as well argue that since you don't "need" the plastic bubble it's junk.
All very subjective.

Reactions: TheoMatthias
Imo the gimbal label is meant to protect it from scratches before it gets fitted on the mavic. Once it's on you can remove or leave it and it won't make any difference. Concerning the gimbal cover it it's just some sort of protection while travelling; it's transparent and you can still fly with it but if you plan to take pictures or decent video you have to remove it.

Ah, the controversial gimbal sticker with tab! I thought about removing it but that gimbal is delicate so I just left it on. If you remove it then the warranty is voided! ... haha j/k

Mine came with one still on and one barely on (half peeled) so I got a clear indication that they should be OFF....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet