DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please help calibrate compass

jughead65

Reactions
i just received my mavic pro. i followed all the instructions and videos for the set up. I can't get my compass to calibrate. I keep getting an error message. I was able to calibrate the drone with the first step, but when i turned it on its side, it wouldn't work. I get an error message on the remote control to check app and also a message that gps is turned off and collision avoidance is not on. i have update the go pro 4 app. any help with this would be greatly appreciated. i'm getting very frustrated over this because i'm not a tecky guy and can't figure out the problem. thank you

sounds like you are indoors without GPS lock and with magnetic interference as well you need to go outside away from any metal and do the calibration there

Did you get a message that told you that the compass needed to be calibrated?

Try calibrating with remote away from AC (at least 20feet or 6m), basically have someone else operate the remote while you do the spinning dance. Also make sure you dont wear a metal watch and that you are not near concrete that could contain iron rebars.

Reactions: RWD
Most magnetic interference is caused by inconspicuous things like magnetic clips, speakers, but also USB cables with magnetic connection. Everything that contains a permanent magnet. These are just a few things such as smartphone cases. In my case, it was a cheap copter that was included in the box I used as a launch pad. After I removed the box with the copter, the compass problem was solved.
I discovered the error by using a Compass app with my smartphone. Near the copter box, the compass played crazy.
Sound devices, bags, folders, cases, all utilities with permanent magnetic closures near the drone should be avoided! Not only while calibrating compass, also generally while starting or flying the drone.

Most pilots pay attention only to large metal objects. However, these are usually not critical. But they distract from the small magnets in the immediate vicinity, which are usually inconspicuous.

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer and RWD
Good idea using your smartphone compass to sleuth out magnetic anomalies around where your drone is sitting. I am stealing this idea....

Good idea using your smartphone compass to sleuth out magnetic anomalies around where your drone is sitting. I am stealing this idea....
Another good idea after calibrating is to make sure your hand held compass points north and that AC compass points north when AC is oriented north. I learned this the hard way when I took off one night with interference and planted my mp2z into the side of the pole barn. Luckily, only busted the props. My problem could have been avoided if I made sure compasses were all pointing north before I took off. The AC would have been pointing south even though oriented north. I took off on concrete. Big no no.

Back to OP’s question.

Are u calibrating it like in this video? Cut thorough all the fluff at the beginning and just watch the calibration dance part.

https://youtu.be/KnZ_ko_

If you are and it won’t work. Send it back.

You said you were turning it on it’s side. Sounds like you may be trying to calibrate the IMU?

Paul C

Back to OP’s question.

Are u calibrating it like in this video? Cut thorough all the fluff at the beginning and just watch the calibration dance part.

https://youtu.be/KnZ_ko_

If you are and it won’t work. Send it back.

You said you were turning it on it’s side. Sounds like you may be trying to calibrate the IMU?

Paul C
Finally was able to get everything calibrated. Thanks for everyone’s help.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15