DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please recommend drone...

User33

Reactions
Hi all,

I know this is mainly a Mavic forum, but since this is the one I've been reading for a while I thought I'd post here.
I don't have a drone yet but I'm looking for one with the following specs, can anybody suggest *any* model that suits?

-20min flying time (at least)
-Camera that can tilt down and see whats below the drone
-Means to travel (manually or automatically) to a waypoint programmed somehow by NW coordinates.
-Big enough to lift at least 1 pound (500g or more) of weight (I know this is not exactly a spec detailed on catalogs...)

Thanks,

Last edited:
Even an m100 with 500gm payload will just give you around 17 mins flight time.

You might have to go higher spec of m200 should allow for extra safety margin.

Reactions: User33
Ok, M100 would fit since they paylod actually only makes half of the travel, only yikes that is an expensive unit!. This is for a kind of search& rescue operation.

Even an m100 with 500gm payload will just give you around 17 mins flight time.
I own an M100 and with 2 TB48D batteries, you can easily fly > 30min.
(depending on attached payload of course)

Ok, M100 would fit since they paylod actually only makes half of the travel, only yikes that is an expensive unit!. This is for a kind of search& rescue operation.

Yes when going past consumer level drones the costs escalate.
A lot more flexibility in customising setup though, and sounds like you might need to go that extra step.

I own an M100 and with 2 TB48D batteries, you can easily fly > 30min.
(depending on attached payload of course)

True, the specs show various levels of flight time with extra battery, payload etc.
The OP will have to do careful comparisons and allow for any future extra payload to cover for possible upgrades etc.

My son has an m600, couple of years now, and he’s STILL building it.
Not sure it’ll ever get finished, but will be awesome to see that flying sometime. (Might have to help him !)

Edit typo.

Last edited:
If you have the necessary tools and building skills you can buy an unassembled airframe in the 650-1000mm range and spec it out to your needs/liking. You can save a load of cash doing this over buying the ready to fly equivalent from a manufacturer. In the end you’ll learn a lot and end up with a much better equipped aircraft for the money.

If you have the necessary tools and building skills you can buy an unassembled airframe in the 650-1000mm range and spec it out to your needs/liking. You can save a load of cash doing this over buying the ready to fly equivalent from a manufacturer. In the end you’ll learn a lot and end up with a much better equipped aircraft for the money.
Iv’e Done that. I bought a carbon kit from Sky-Hero, a Little six. 580 mm cross center motors. Equipped with folding retracts and can hold a Canon Powershot sx740hs hs with 40 x zoom and 20 Mpix sensor. Flight time is with 8s 5200 mAh about 15-18 minutes. In comparison to the Mavic it’s large enough for my needs.

Attachments

• C935498C-4B6E-4D2A-8E8C-1A01DC354975.jpeg
    C935498C-4B6E-4D2A-8E8C-1A01DC354975.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
A few years back, I have done this with a DJI Spreading Wings S1000+.
You were right, you learn a lot by assembling your own aircraft.
But cheaper than an RTF airframe, I say no. It looks like firsthand, but after you bought all the components, A3 Flight controller, redundancy, Lightbridge 2 parts, gimbal, Batteries and cameras, it was more expensive than a Matrice 600.

A few years back, I have done this with a DJI Spreading Wings S1000+.
You were right, you learn a lot by assembling your own aircraft.
But cheaper than an RTF airframe, I say no. It looks like firsthand, but after you bought all the components, A3 Flight controller, redundancy, Lightbridge 2 parts, gimbal, Batteries and cameras, it was more expensive than a Matrice 600.
There’s no doubt that equipping one can get expensive quick I agree. You can pick and choose where you spend your money though. A for instance is batteries, if you buy one of the larger DJI aircraft and want more than a few batteries then that gets pretty high dollar fast. On a custom build you have a lot of options where you source your components from and the price of said components. I’ve been into r/c aviation for a long time and the only downside to our hobby is that everything seems to range from expensive to more expensive LoL.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky