DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

please tell me if I got this right

OK, I did mention that I may be rather stupid. In order to discharge to the recommended level, what do I do? It sounds as if all I need to do is take them off charge and let them sit for 10 days and they will discharge on their own. Is that right? How long can I leave them in that condition before something else happens? "Time to discharge" what difference does it make if you lengthen or shorten the time to discharge?
This all ignores the fact that I asked a different question -- can hyper light be used shooting video, or is it only with stills. I'm all for experimentation, but considering it's illegal to fly after dark, I can't be fooling around with settings -- I want to get my shots before someone has time to get the authorities involved. As a network news shooter I know how important it is to get in and get out -- there's always some cop, bldg manager, security guard or other fool that thinks they have a reason to stop you from getting the job done -- by the time you get done arguing the 1st Amendment with them, you've missed the shot.
The reason I diss DJI is because they promote a defective product and have charged me for repairs they didn't do, then charged me again to get my bird back. The reason things don't get done is because of their company setup -- never get to talk to the same person twice, your questions go unanswered, when questions are answered it's not in English. I can go on but I'm sure I'll just catch grief from the other members of the forum.

I counted 9 different Mavic models in my head just now, but I might have missed a couple.

The M2P is likely to get you the best results of any due to a larger sensor, but it’s still not ideal for night shots. I’ve gotten some good low-light shots, but it takes some work (and trial and error). Shoot in HDR and save the originals as RAW shots, then combine and edit in dedicated software. That’s more likely to result in what you’re looking for. If you’re really ambitious, do bracketed shots with more exposure range.

I've spent years with trial and error -- don't have a problem with that. I'm sure if I had a ton of money I'd get the proper camera for night shots. Before I spend another cent on a drone which can carry "that camera", I want to get the trial and error out of the way -- at least the error part. Nothing more embarrassing than showing up to a shoot and spend hours trying to get the equipment to work as expected, looking like a fool in front of the client.
Again, all I really asked was if "hyper light" works when recording video.
From what I read in your post it appears hyper light only works when shooting stills.

OK, In order to discharge to the recommended level, what do I do? It sounds as if all I need to do is take them off charge and let them sit for 10 days and they will discharge on their own. Is that right? How long can I leave them in that condition before something else happens? "Time to discharge" what difference does it make if you lengthen or shorten the time to discharge?
My method works OK for me. Probably not the best but here is what I do:

I fully charge my batteries prior to use at home in a reasonably palatable environment. Not in a super hot or icy cold garage but in a mild temperature. Some will warn you about LiPo fires and some people go to extremes but I feel I have a relatively safe method.

I fly my Mavic Pro no lower than 35% state of charge (SOC) as indicated on my monitor telemetry. My default is 30% (many go lower) but I check the SOC on the monitor and try to land as close to, but not below 30% provided I plan to recharge in the field. I feel 35-40% gives me a buffer. I try to plan my last flights out with each battery pack, so I'll fly until the battery SOC reaches a level that after I return to home leaves the battery level between 40 & 60%. If I have to let a battery self discharge (from 100%), I feel it's no big deal but the less charging and discharging, the longer a batteries life should last. If I plan to fly within a week, I often leave them fully charged. The main thing is not to store them for a long term period below about 40-60%. Best to charge them and let them discharge on their own rather than sit below the recommended storage level. The reason DJI suggests and sets default to 60% is that is what is required when shipping for safety. Perhaps they feel 40% is too low for storage purposes, but LiPo's in general rest well at 40% so I don't have an issue storing at that level. Just me.

I make sure the batteries have set to cool off as best as possible after a flight before recharging in the field but have recharged when the air temp is in the mid 90's. Not a common practice in that warm of climate but I rotate 4 battery packs and sometimes I have to charge in hot weather to round out the day. On average I'm not in too cold or too hot weather. I try to rotate each battery pack equally during my flights.

I always store my batteries in a reasonably cool environment which I feel is most important. I've never had issues with the batteries discharging in the case but it is worth noting. Many folks use LiPo battery fire proof bags to charge, discharge, and store them in. I use a fire bag in the field and I always monitor my home charging making sure to place the battery in a safe spot.

Lastly if the batteries are stored for a very long period, I monitor them using the battery level LED and if need be, fully recharge and let them discharge on their own.

Just how I do it, YMMV.

I'm trying to figure out a couple of things in advance of a couple of night shoots... I've seen lots of mention of hyperlibht and HDR shooting -- are these two modes only available in still mode? I would like to get some night video with the hyperlight function, but can't find any straight answers. Crazy how DJI and Google searches tell you everything but what you're looking for.
Also, I cannot find anything at all on these modes in any of the manuals I downloaded from DJI -- what's up with that?

I can tell you this -- this is the last product I will buy from DJI -- their support sucks the big one and most questions I have posed to the support division have gone unanswered. Part of the problem is that the folks who operate the repair/support center in Cerritos, CA only speak broken English (it's great if you speak Tagalog). My last repair took so long that 4 batteries swelled up and went bad while I was waiting for my drone to be returned.
Those two modes are for still shots only.

Here is one response from another thread: Hyperlight: What is it actually doing?

Here's a video on the subject:

Plenty of other hits when I googled it.

Reactions: conchman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000