DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

please tell me if I got this right

crusty50

Reactions
I'm trying to figure out a couple of things in advance of a couple of night shoots... I've seen lots of mention of hyperlibht and HDR shooting -- are these two modes only available in still mode? I would like to get some night video with the hyperlight function, but can't find any straight answers. Crazy how DJI and Google searches tell you everything but what you're looking for.
Also, I cannot find anything at all on these modes in any of the manuals I downloaded from DJI -- what's up with that?

I can tell you this -- this is the last product I will buy from DJI -- their support sucks the big one and most questions I have posed to the support division have gone unanswered. Part of the problem is that the folks who operate the repair/support center in Cerritos, CA only speak broken English (it's great if you speak Tagalog). My last repair took so long that 4 batteries swelled up and went bad while I was waiting for my drone to be returned.

Not that I can help with your particular situation, but about your 4 batteries swelling, if you are going to be on an extended period of non-use, if you had not already done so, be sure to store them at no more than 50% :)

The cameras on these platforms (Mavic, Air, and Mini) are not the best for night photography.
You will end up fighting the "noise" issue....

Yes it is easier to get an answer when we know what kind of drone.

Reactions: Thomas B
I'm trying to figure out a couple of things in advance of a couple of night shoots... I've seen lots of mention of hyperlibht and HDR shooting -- are these two modes only available in still mode? I would like to get some night video with the hyperlight function, but can't find any straight answers. Crazy how DJI and Google searches tell you everything but what you're looking for.
Also, I cannot find anything at all on these modes in any of the manuals I downloaded from DJI -- what's up with that?

I can tell you this -- this is the last product I will buy from DJI -- their support sucks the big one and most questions I have posed to the support division have gone unanswered. Part of the problem is that the folks who operate the repair/support center in Cerritos, CA only speak broken English (it's great if you speak Tagalog). My last repair took so long that 4 batteries swelled up and went bad while I was waiting for my drone to be returned.
As per multiple posts above. If you will provide the names of equipment you are using help can be forthcoming.

All the DJI sensors have very poor low light capability in comparison with iPhones and professional cameras. You can get some pleasing results, but technically the result is poor.

Reactions: hiflyer201
All the DJI sensors have very poor low light capability in comparison with iPhones and professional cameras. You can get some pleasing results, but technically the result is poor.
I’ve taken some beautiful Pre Dawn low light photos with my Mavic 2 Pro Hasselblad. In the Pre Dawn there is often no wind aloft and long exposures are quite possible. Right conditions and a 1 inch sensor can give good results.

I have had bad tech support with DJI because of the language barrier. I call the Texas facility. They are great for ordering parts and devices. I just ordered a DJI Osmo Mobile to go along with the M2P, and the Osmo Pocket, and Osmo Action video. All but the M2P came from China without a problem. But for tech support I depend mainly on You Tube videos and this forum which is the most valuable of all. Forget talking to the Chinese. They just cannot speak English no matter how hard they try.

Reactions: hiflyer201
You can get some pleasing results, but technically the result is poor.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in many night shots and I like some the result of some poorly lit shots.
living in Los Angeles one has usually seen at least a couple of night locations shoots for feature films. The lighting looks like Vegas on steroids.
But for tech support I depend mainly on You Tube videos and this forum
The only thing I ask DJI tech support is for a shipping label and that's a chore for some of them. Please don't get me wrong. I'm a huge DJI fan :)

I do the same frequently for sunsets
Tom:

That was a Spectacular sunset. I am about to submit to the forum my most recent video, "Key Largo" which I did on Tuesday with a spectacular sunset in timelapse.

Reactions: Thomas B
Not that I can help with your particular situation, but about your 4 batteries swelling, if you are going to be on an extended period of non-use, if you had not already done so, be sure to store them at no more than 50% :)
How do you get the batts to 50% and how do you know you're there?

Reactions: Flyernh
OK didn't know everybody on the Mavic forum wasn't necessarily flying Mavic. Yes I have a Mavic 2 Pro.
I don't know to which "instruction manual" you refer. The one that comes with the battery has no real instructions as to charge level. The ones you have to chase and download from DJI don't say anything about maintaining or reading the 50% and I have no idea what "app" you are talking about. I will readily admit that I may be rather stupid, but I can read -- I've found nothing on this.
Also, if you look at the beginning of this thread, I asked about "hyper light" and whether it can be used while shooting video. All of the responses thus far I'm sure are earnest and technically correct -- but don't answer my question. I thank everyone for their responses, but please, someone just answer the question.

Mahalo

OK didn't know everybody on the Mavic forum wasn't necessarily flying Mavic. Yes I have a Mavic 2 Pro.
I counted 9 different Mavic models in my head just now, but I might have missed a couple.

The M2P is likely to get you the best results of any due to a larger sensor, but it’s still not ideal for night shots. I’ve gotten some good low-light shots, but it takes some work (and trial and error). Shoot in HDR and save the originals as RAW shots, then combine and edit in dedicated software. That’s more likely to result in what you’re looking for. If you’re really ambitious, do bracketed shots with more exposure range.

I don't know to which "instruction manual" you refer. The one that comes with the battery has no real instructions as to charge level. The ones you have to chase and download from DJI don't say anything about maintaining or reading the 50% and I have no idea what "app" you are talking about. I will readily admit that I may be rather stupid, but I can read -- I've found nothing on this.
Also, if you look at the beginning of this thread, I asked about "hyper light" and whether it can be used while shooting video. All of the responses thus far I'm sure are earnest and technically correct -- but don't answer my question. I thank everyone for their responses, but please, someone just answer the question.

Mahalo

Each model can be a bit different. I have the MP and IIRC can adjust how quick I want the discharging procedure to start in the go 4 app. I have never adjusted it and felt the 10 day default is fine.

Here is the Mavic 2 Pro manual.

Page 34 & 35 describes the battery.

Battery Features
1. Battery Level Display: The LED indicators display the current battery level.
2. Auto-Discharging Function: To prevent swelling, the battery automatically discharges to less than 60% of the maximum battery level when it is idle for more than 10 days. It takes approximately three to four days to discharge the battery to 65%. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process.
3. Balanced Charging: During charging, the voltages of the battery cells are automatically balanced.
4. Overcharge Protection: The battery stops charging automatically once fully charged.
5. Temperature Detection: The battery only charges when the temperature is between 41° and 104° F (5° and 40° C).
6. Over-current Protection: The battery stops charging if an excess current is detected.
7. Over-discharge Protection: Discharging stops automatically to prevent excess discharge.
8. Short Circuit Protection: The power supply is automatically cut if a short circuit is detected.
9. Battery Cell Damage Protection: DJI GO 4 displays a warning message when a damaged battery cell is detected.
10. Hibernation Mode: The battery switches off after 20 minutes of inactivity to save power. If the battery level is less than 10%, the battery enters Hibernation mode to prevent over-discharge. In Hibernation mode, the battery level indicators do not illuminate. Charge the battery to wake it from hibernation.
11. Communication: Information about the battery's voltage, capacity, and current is transmitted to the aircraft.

Checking Battery Level
The battery level LEDs display how much charge remains. If the battery is turned off, press the Power button, and the battery level LEDs light up to display the current battery level.

Just dealing with LiPo batteries in general, I know that you should avoid leaving batteries fully charged during storage and why DJI supports self discharging. It's also a good idea to avoid charging if it's warm from previous usage. Let them cool down before re-charging. As for why your batteries puffed, it could be several reasons. The main thing to understand is a puffed battery pack shouldn't be used as it might put stress on the connections to where the drone and/or battery might fall out of the sky. Lastly charging them in that state could result in a LiPo fire. Rare but it can happen.

Something seems a miss here.. what app?

Battery Storage
The Intelligent Flight Battery is programmed to automatically discharge down to the optimum storage level (about 60% power) after being left unused based on the number of days specified in the "Time to Discharge" setting in the DJI Go 4 app. The default setting is 10 days.

i am aware of the battery storage procedures. the op asked what app.
It was a bit tounge in cheek because im not sure i understand how he flies without using the app.

Reactions: dronerdave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara