DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pls help me decide - Spark or Mavic?

TGibe

Reactions
I have a Spark on order, but am second guessing whether or not I just "buy once \ cry once" and upsell myself to a Mavic.

I'm looking for feedback from Mavic owners on ease of use and portability, which was why I pre-ordered the spark initially.

Is the Mavic easy to transport, launch, and fly without the big production I have to go through (setting compass and home location, battery cable attachment and waiting for the 20 flashes, etc.) with my other DJI drones?

My most likely use case: I hike a lot in the Northwest and _know_ that it would be cool to get video from some of the hiking areas. I also travel 2-3 times a year and would like the option of taking a drone along.

What's holding me back is my history with buying drones and RC planes and not actually flying them very much. I guess I need it to be simplier...

What I have: I currently have a phantom 1 (still flies great), F550 (with gimbal, FPV, GoPro, OSD module), ARES racing drone (impulse buy), and an "ugly stick" e-plane (I flew planes in the 1980s and CP Helis in the 2000s). All of these were somewhat of a pain to get going and pretty much have to be flown line of sight (I'm not super comfortable with goggles).

Many thanks if you made it through this messy post :-/

The Mavic is my first UAV. It's easy for a beginner and hopefully my skills will grow to take advantage of it's pro features. I don't think I could have chosen better for my purposes. I travel by motorcycle so size was a guiding factor in my decision. That the spark packs larger kills it for me without looking further.

There is a learning curve, with so many features and capabilities there had to be. That I could fly 3 batteries then head back to the manual to answer questions I found I had while recharging them, I'm really glad I chose Mavic.

Many pro videographers claim to have hangered their Phantoms because the Mavic does so well. That reassures me that I won't outgrow it any time soon.

The Spark may meet your needs well, but the Mavic sure meets mine!

To me, the differences are obvious. So it all comes down to each person's unique situation. How do you feel about the price difference, about the resolution, about the camera sensor, the fact that the Spark is not much smaller as the arms don't fold, about the fact that the controller is untested at this time, that the flight time is different.

I could go on and on and at the end of the day you know all the differences but we don't know very little about your personally preferences.

To me, the big differences are the camera, flight time and size. Mavic has better flight time and controller but it's more expensive and the Spark is a little smaller.

Reactions: TGibe
Hiking and travel. Sounds like Mavic since you'll enjoy finer control... and not have to worry how to get the bird back if your mobile dies/doesn't connect/crashes.

Surely it's purely down to finances. The Mavic is most definitely the superior drone, but it's twice the price. If you can afford it/justify it; Mavic. If not, Spark.

Hiking and travel. Sounds like Mavic since you'll enjoy finer control... and not have to worry how to get the bird back if your mobile dies/doesn't connect/crashes.
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Is the Mavic more able to handle mobile connection issues than the Spark?

Thx!

Thx!
Until the Spark comes out it is pretty untested.

With the Mavic there are thousands who have tested them since release. They know the good the bad and the ugly and the tech guys on here have a whole host of data logs for evaluation.

If i could only go for one drone and portability was key i would choose a Mavic every time, There are set up things but most can be done well before flight time.

For me, i carried mine through jungles in Thailand and it felt like it was not even there. especially just carrying it in a sleeve on my wrist with the RC thrown in a pocket.

from out the sleeve to in the air i guess averages maybe three minutes with a few checks on RTH Props and general settings, I have never had calibration warnings and they are easy to do pre flight somewhere.

Mine pretty much stays in my car and goes where i go.

The Spark looks like a cool fun drone, but not one i would take on a hike or travel with for filming if the Mavic was in hand.

For me, i carried mine through jungles in Thailand and it felt like it was not even there. especially just carrying it in a sleeve on my wrist with the RC thrown in a pocket.

from out the sleeve to in the air i guess averages maybe three minutes with a few checks on RTH Props and general settings, I have never had calibration warnings and they are easy to do pre flight somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. I cancelled my spark preorder and now will search for a Mavic package.

I will probably have more questions once it arrives.

Reactions: jointeffort
I was also deciding between the Spark and the Mavic - it is a big price difference but honestly over past 2 or 3 years I've spent far more money than the cost of the Mavic chasing the "ideal" drone. Now, with technology, I can get everything I wanted all along in the Mavic - I'm ordering mine soon.

Got my Mavic yesterday and did a couple of quick flights. Sooo many options, but this thing is rock steady compared to my NAZA2 systems - must be the dual GPS?

The Mavic was the way to go. Buy once cry once...

Look for my other posts and THANKS AGAIN to all of those who helped!

Reactions: Gary cato
Asking this question on a Mavic forum. LOL.
Buy the Mavic basic package with 1 battery if you are considering the Spark Fly more pack,

The Mavic will cover all your bases.
Camera = good
Portability = excellent
Battery = excellent
Price = good
Range = excellent
Positioning = excellent
Reliability = good
You cannot fault it. It's a well developed machine and way ahead of its time and competitors.

In saying that... I am ordering the basic spark package. I dont need the crazy range and high processing 4k vids.

The only advantage i see with the Spark is how friendly it looks. The mavic may be small when folded, but once it spreads its legs it becomes the size of the phantom. It looks menacing up close and many people will find it daunting. What I am getting at is that I have been flying since the P1's and I have noticed that all my vids are just boring coastal and beach fly overs. Nothing interesting, nothing that tells a story. This is because i follow regulations and avoid people at all cost. The Spark on the other hand is going to fill that void. At 300grams and maxed at 3ms via phone wifi, i cant see how much damage this can do. To be honest, i am going to fly this everywhere until the props fall off. The spark will be non-threatening, most people are just going to ignore it and the girls would just giggle and comment on its size.

The spark will be the new personal stabilised gopro-equivalent aerial camera.

A few more flights and I am really liking the Mavic. Found I was able to fly POV easier than line of sight. Only got 500' away and 200' high, but at that distance the Mavic is basically invisible to me. Even when closer I looked up to find it and couldn't find it if it was hovering. LOL

Still need to learn the flight modes, etc.

The Spark on the other hand is going to fill that void. At 300grams and maxed at 3ms via phone wifi, i cant see how much damage this can do. To be honest, i am going to fly this everywhere until the props fall off.

I wonder if 51 grams can be trimmed to put it at 249 grams where there are NO restrictions by the FAA. A Spark Light would be something I'd jump on as it's a "toy" weight and not regulated by FAA in any way. One can hope.

Mavic is worth the extra money if you have it. Faster, flies longer and further has a better quality camera. easy to transport because of its small size. You don't have to worry about just controlling it with your phone, it comes with the remote already. The Mavic could be your selfie drone, its just as capable, just maneuver the drone in place and take a delayed shot. Its a selfie drone plus a ton more.

Reactions: 8BitMavics
A Mavic can be Spark but a Spark can't be a Mavic. What I mean by that is the Mavic can do pretty much everything a Spark can do and more. A Spark will not be able to do what a Mavic can do outside of itself.

Reactions: stratos
I think an argument for the Spark is that if you're flying around people maybe they will see it as less intimidating. The spark looks like a toy and I think that's a good thing.

The only thing I'm hesitant about is the range. 1.5 miles with the controller is actually good but I wonder what actual range is under average conditions. Perhaps an antenna booster would help.

I have a Mavic and I think a Spark would be a lot of fun. Ive seen a few drone rental places online. Perhaps rent one for a week and see what you think...

Reactions: Mako79

Thx!
I never had any connection issues with my Mavic. The DJI App, iphone and drone all worked very well together and set up was fast and easy. I have flown my Mavic three miles away from me and never had a problem (Just make sure you are several hundred feet up in the air and the antennas are pointed straight up on the transmitter) Several people have been asking which one to get and the answer is the Mavic. The Mavic is the best R/C product (drone, helicopter, airplane, glider etc) that 'I' have ever flown and I believe it is a value worth paying twice the price for. If you already have a Mavic and want to try something smaller than the Spark is a cool 'Toy' but it is no competetion for the Mavic at all.

Reactions: TGibe and Kilrah
Yendor: I've got the Mavic and also ordered a Spark. Just for occasional fun but also to take abroad - I'm not so worried about the Customs guys getting upset with the Spark. Could be a great travel drone - for hobbyists. Obviously, for 'serious' stuff, you need a Mavic or better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98