DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plug charger in before or after batteries are connected?

PropSpin

Reactions
So...
Maybe it really doesn't matter, but should the batteries be connected to the charger before or after the charger is plugged into the wall?

I have the Mavic 2 Pro

Just wondering 'cause some battery powered equipment chargers and batteries that I have do specify that order does matter. For example, my LiPo hobby charger states I must plug charger in BEFORE connecting batteries or damage to the charger could result. Same for Greenworks outdoor battery powered equipment.

I didn't see anything in the manual so maybe it doesn't matter. Anybody know?

Reactions: frank candor
I have been doing both ways with my MP and M2P and has not hurt anything .
Might be the wrong way but is what I do .MP charger still going fine after 2 years of doing it .
We will see what others do I'm sure .

Reactions: Porky
I plug the battery in first and then the charger into the wall. I do his because sometimes i don’t get the battery align precisely. I don’t want to create room for a shortage or glitch with electricity already on the wire while trying to properly seat the battery. Just my reasoning.

I put my batteries into the hub 1st then connect the power. That’s how I’ve always done it. Never thought about it really until your post.;)

I plug the battery in first and then the charger into the wall. I do his because sometimes i don’t get the battery align precisely. I don’t want to create room for a shortage or glitch with electricity already on the wire while trying to properly seat the battery. Just my reasoning.
I'm using this method too - for the same reasons ... I don't want to be mis-aligning batteries on a live charger (even if it's not possible).

Always plug the line cord in last with PC and batteries so that any spark at the moment of connection is removed from the electronics.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
Always plug the line cord in last with PC and batteries so that any spark at the moment of connection is removed from the electronics.
Sounds extremely sensible ... The AC/DC power pack will have capacitance in it that will kill any power spikes when the mains connects too.

So...
Maybe it really doesn't matter, but should the batteries be connected to the charger before or after the charger is plugged into the wall?

I have the Mavic 2 Pro

Just wondering 'cause some battery powered equipment chargers and batteries that I have do specify that order does matter. For example, my LiPo hobby charger states I must plug charger in BEFORE connecting batteries or damage to the charger could result. Same for Greenworks outdoor battery powered equipment.

I didn't see anything in the manual so maybe it doesn't matter. Anybody know?

I may be relying on incorrect information but I believe that the charger is part of the battery and when you plug the battery into the port all you are doing is providing power to the charger.

I may be relying on incorrect information but I believe that the charger is part of the battery and when you plug the battery into the port all you are doing is providing power to the charger.
I can see a LED lit on my charging hub if there is a battery plugged into it or not [as long as its connected to mains power of course] ... that tells me the charger has power on it with or without a battery.

What I was saying is that each battery has a charger. The port does not. It is only supplying power to charger in battery. The green light on port only indicates that the port is getting power.

Hm... I‘ve got another question, if it is okay to put in the batteries into the charging hub last: what about the sequence?

As you all know, the hub starts charging the battery with the highest charge first. When I don’t know exactly (same count of LEDs), in what sequence should I put them in, so the charger starts a lower charged battery first, I put one with higher charge in, then the hub skips and charges this first.

I don’t know if that could do any harm to these „intelligent“ flight batteries, ... or lower their lifetime, just wanted to ask you, because it fits to this topic

Last edited:
What I was saying is that each battery has a charger. The port does not. It is only supplying power to charger in battery. The green light on port only indicates that the port is getting power.
If your saying that the cell balancing and protection circuitry (overcharge, etc.) is in the batteries, I would think that you are correct.

Hm... I‘ve got another question, if it is okay to put in the batteries into the charging hub last: what about the sequence?

As you all know, the hub starts charging the battery with the highest charge first. When I don’t know exactly (same count of LEDs), in what sequence should I put them in, so the charger starts a lower charged battery first, I put one with higher charge in, then the hub skips and charges this first.

I don’t know if that could do any harm to these „intelligent“ flight batteries, just wanted to ask you, because it fits to this topic
My guess is that it is okay in regards to it figuring out which to charge first. It probably checks charge levels periodically. I think it would really come down to my original question, connect batteries before or after applying power? But again, this is all guesswork on my part.

I don’t know if that could do any harm to these „intelligent“ flight batteries, ... or lower their lifetime, just wanted to ask you, because it fits to this topic
I've done this and the charging sequence just resets so that the lowest gets done first - even if it was the last one you put in.

Sorry ... Just thinking - Is it the lowest charged or highest charged that starts the sequence?
(Time for lights out!!!)

Just noticed today when I plugged my charger in with both the drone battery and remote connected that there was a small arc from one of the plug blades when I went to plug it in. So I think I'll be plugging the charger in before connecting the batteries to avoid initial surge when plugging in. I'll ask DJI too at some point.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972