DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POI around a car...??

mharvey65

Reactions
Good evening,
Is it posible to create a Point of Interest rotational flight around a small object, say a car. Using a Mavic Pro 2 and standard software.
Would be nice to create a video on flat terrain at about 1.5m height from the ground and moving around an object about the size of a car...
Any help gratefully received.
Michael

Never used POI but why not go try it out for yourself, nothing lost if you don't like the results but at the least you learn something in the process ;)

Yes, there is more than one intelligent flight mode that allows you to fly fixed to a POI. See "POI 2.0" on pg 29 of the owners manual.

1.5m from the ground might work, but here is a 5m minimum on radius, so it has to be at least that far away from the car.

Chris

The biggest problem you might have is how far you have to pull back over the object to allow your MP2 to calculate the radius. I often look for the smallest circle I can use but the MP2 will tell you it can't do it so you pull back until it can.

WDK

Which mode did you use ?
Not sure what you mean. I used the POI intelligent flight mode. You draw a box around the subject you want to circle around and hit "Go" and it proceeds to fly in a perfect circle around the object. If you're referring to a setting within that mode, I have to admit I don't remember and can't reference it because my drone suffered a crash and is at DJI right now being evaluated for repair and I can't currently connect to it to look up the setting I used. No, the crash wasn't related to using POI mode!

There's a legacy method of setting POI where you fly over the object to set the center of the circle, then fly back to set the initial radius. That probably won't work for a moving object like a car since it's going by GPS coordinates.

So the object selecting method of POI works for a moving object? I used this method for a ball field lamp and it didn't keep the lamp centered, nor was the orbit circular.

Not sure what you mean. I used the POI intelligent flight mode. You draw a box around the subject you want to circle around and hit "Go" and it proceeds to fly in a perfect circle around the object. If you're referring to a setting within that mode, I have to admit I don't remember and can't reference it because my drone suffered a crash and is at DJI right now being evaluated for repair and I can't currently connect to it to look up the setting I used. No, the crash wasn't related to using POI mode!

There's a legacy method of setting POI where you fly over the object to set the center of the circle, then fly back to set the initial radius. That probably won't work for a moving object like a car since it's going by GPS coordinates.

So the object selecting method of POI works for a moving object? I used this method for a ball field lamp and it didn't keep the lamp centered, nor was the orbit circular.

I want to do a static POI but how do you set the radius size and distance from object

I want to do a static POI but how do you set the radius size and distance from object

A couple of ways that I use though both amount to the same......Pick out the point of interests of course, if you are right on top of it, back your drone up far enough that your drone can calculate its circle...if you don't back up far enough it will tell you it can't be done so back up some more.....the other way is to pick out an object ahead of you, draw your box around it making sure you are clear of all objects and select go and the drone will fly its circle. You can set the speed or adjust radius if you wan the circle to be smaller but too small and it won't be able too and it will let you know though this is with an MP Zoom, I am not sure how that compares too a Mini or Mavic Air etc.

WDK

Reactions: Ted B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada