DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PolarPro gimbal lock for Mavic 2

There are three motors controlling movement, giving the gimbal the freedom to move around - without power. Do you feel the gimbals are being pushed beyond their extent?

Reactions: Ynksfan27
Here's a video that shows the movement the OP is referring to:

I recently purchased the gimbal lock for my Mavic 2 Zoom and wanted to know others' opinions on it. It seems really tight and pushes the gimbal up and back when attached. Is this bad for the gimbal?

@Thunderdrones
I use this one on my M2P. My opinion is no it does not.
The movement required to install is no more than a mm IMHO, and well within the allowed excursion. I hated the manipulations I had to do to get the oem 2 part cover on and was noticing scuffing starting on the sides of the hasselbad case due to motion inside the oem lock. Plus the PP gimbal lock has a soft lining to aid in preventing this. Check the video above.

Last edited:
I recently purchased the gimbal lock for my Mavic 2 Zoom and wanted to know others' opinions on it. It seems really tight and pushes the gimbal up and back when attached. Is this bad for the gimbal?

@Thunderdrones

I feel the same way you do. I dont like the stress that the Polarpro or the OEM gimbal locks put on the gimbal motors. The OEM lock requires you to stretch the gimbal to get it past the detentes on the lock so that it locks in. As you say, the PP stretches the gimbal up and back. I always wonder when the last time I can stretch it before something breaks, namely the yaw motor.

One that I do like (yes I do like some things) is this one advertised on Dronevalleys website:

It looks like it "nestles" the gimbal instead of stretching it, and Im interested in hearing from anyone who has used one like it. That would be my choice, if it doesnt put any stress on the gimbal..

It looks like it "nestles" the gimbal instead of stretching it, and Im interested in hearing from anyone who has used one like it.
I'm using that lock on my Mavic 2 Pro. It doesn't put pressure on the camera/gimbal and completely encloses it. Love it!

While not an issue for me, some people mention the camera is able to move slightly while the lock is attached (which is does). If that bothers anyone, you could stick a piece of foam tape on the bottom of the cover (on the inside) to fill the tiny gap that allows that play.

Mavic 2 Pro Gimbal Lock/Cover

Mavic 2 Zoom Gimbal Lock/Cover

Reactions: Horace G Hill Sr
I'm using that lock on my Mavic 2 Pro. It doesn't put pressure on the camera/gimbal and completely encloses it. Love it!

While not an issue for me, some people mention the camera is able to move slightly while the lock is attached (which is does). If that bothers anyone, you could stick a piece of foam tape on the bottom of the cover (on the inside) to fill the tiny gap that allows that play.

Mavic 2 Pro Gimbal Lock/Cover
View attachment 71229

Mavic 2 Zoom Gimbal Lock/Cover
View attachment 71230
I had that one and within a couple of flights the ears that clip in behind the gimbal broke off.

I had that one and within a couple of flights the ears that clip in behind the gimbal broke off.
I've seen a few other people mention that too. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way people use it. I must have removed mine at least a hundred times so far. It's still working okay for me.

Reactions: tleedom
I've seen a few other people mention that too. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way people use it. I must have removed mine at least a hundred times so far. It's still working okay for me.
Seems like there is only one very simple way to use it. I can’t imagine what I would have done to stress it incorrectly. Maybe there is variability in the manufacturing and some are weaker than others.

Seems like there is only one very simple way to use it. I can’t imagine what I would have done to stress it incorrectly. Maybe there is variability in the manufacturing and some are weaker than others.
It seems people are somehow stressing the tabs on the front of the lock. They probably aren't just falling off, right?

When I attach my lock, those tabs drop right into the holes on the front of the Mavic. There is absolutely no force pushing against them. When removing the lock, I did find that if you don't slide it backward a bit (toward the rear of the Mavic) after releasing it, the tabs get stuck in those holes. At that point, continuing to rotate the lock forward to release it would put a lot of pressure on the tabs. I'm sure the tabs would eventually break off if doing that enough.

That happened to Me Too! Once or twice. If you buy it off of Amazon and it breaks just return it for free and get another one. It's still better than the alternative

Mine did, too, and that's when I bought the PolarPro. But I wince when I snap it in place.

Reactions: Former Member
I have 2 of hose Sunnylife covers for my mavic 2 zoom and both have failed in the thumb locking tab. After the 1st one broke I thought I might have been either not putting it on properly or being too rough with it but the 2nd one failed too. I might give the PP one a go but $45 is a bit steep for me! I have been in contact with Sunny life over these failures and they asked for photos and would get back to me with a solution when available!

it would be great for DJI to develop a drone with a completely enclosed gimbal. Imagine the damage that would be prevented. I understand the optics issues, but it must be possible?
I guess weight is always going to be the issue

Mine did, too, and that's when I bought the PolarPro. But I wince when I snap it in place.

What I have found is that it's better to break the gimbal lock than the gimbal. Suunylife will break, but it wont break your gimbal. Thats why Amazon is great. If it breaks, they refund me and I usually dont have to send it back, then I just order another one.

Reactions: tleedom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661