DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police came by my house

What cracks me up about people like this is how they think they are so **** interesting they have privacy that others would want to invade. Never mind the fact that from 390 feet, do they realise how impossible it is to identify specific people?

Reactions: strdr and ChoccyBoy
This thread has been an interesting read. Obviously the laws are different in Australia to there but there are so many similarities in the situations faced by operators here and there. I guess people are people where ever you go. Some are whingers, some are open to reason.

As far as the opinions voiced I agree with both camps to a degree. If we, as legitimate R.P.A. owning law abiding individuals tuck tail and run every time some ill informed individual decides they don't like it an complain even though we are in the legal right then soon we are going to abdicate out rights by default.

That said, I never use a confrontational or adversarial manner. I'm well across the laws and regualtions, I carry links to same on my mobile phone and some written material in my flight case. When confronted I just act in a civil and confident but not cocky manner and politely stand my ground.

Around home has always been the least of my worries, it's an old subdivision, 70 yers plus, so the yards are very large allowing me to take off and land without breaching the proximity rules. I've lived here 26 years so I'm well known and I live 1 street away from several hundred acres of bushland. It's not a national park or anything like that, they'd develop it if they could I'm sure but it's basically swamp land and can't be drained and is blow the "flood plain" so council won't allow construction on it.

I'm a commercial operator (RePL) with my own business and so I use that area to test out new aircraft, new waypoint mission planning and photography ideas, pretty much anything I need to. On the day I certified I took my documents and went for a walk and door knocked every house for about 100M. Explained who I was and where I live, that I was a certified remote pilot with a business (showed them the docs) and explained that I would be doing testing on a constant but irregular basis for about the rest of forever and "here's a copy of the regulations".

I then went on to explain how the aircraft work and all the redundancies and how were I to drop dead in the middle of a test the aircraft would fly home and land safely besides my cooling corpse. Also as others here have pointed out, I offered to do a free roof or damage inspection for them without the usual $200 fee as a neighbourly gesture (it's a storm corridor here).

The shortest route from here to the bushland sees me have to overfly two properties. I have a pre programmed flight path that takes me right across the ridge lines of their roofs, with them I explained that while the airspace was free to use the regulations are strict in what I must do to ensure their safety and I could not overfly their property without landholder permission and safety measures in place. So I proposed that my aircraft would always be at 300FT before leaving my property to avoid noise, would overfly their garages and house not the yard area and if they would give me their phone number I could put them on speed dial and notify them so they could go inside for the two minutes it takes to overfly if they happen to be in the yard when I'm testing. They said "sure thing" so I printed up a little permissions agreement with my liability insurance details as well to add extra comfort and we all signed it and everything is as sweet as can be. They all know to come and speak with me if they have the slightest concern

To be honest I'm considered to be something in the realms of the local eccentric and captive entertainment (I'm also an Advanced Class radio ham and have huge towers on the house) and often the people in surrounding houses who have covered balconies come out to watch the entertainment. If they don;t have a covered balcony I ask they don't come out in the yard even if they are further than the required 30m. When someone new moves in to the area I don't even have to speak with them, all the other locals soon fill them in on the score lol, they're actually a little protective of their local pilot, you figure?

Never had an incident, never had a complaint and I'm able to stay within regulations because they co operate with me. If they all insisted on standing out in their yard near my fences I couldn't fly ... and I told them that.

So maybe I've just been lucky .... but we're talking about 20 to 30 households here and I got a 100% on my side sentiment ratio so I think it had a lot to do with approach method.

Sorry for the short story, hope you can read as fast as I type lol

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Get a Hpi Baja 5B/T or similar 1/5th scale rc truck, put a loud pipe and let it rip lol jk. Some people are just plain ( Mod Removed ) cos they're just plain miserable with their lives...simple as that.
@momofx - ...out of Your 2 forum messages, one has foul language and needs to be edited by Mod, does not bear any useful information/meaning and projects Your anger towards plain people to such extent, that makes one wonder whether You are just as miserable in Your anger...
If You have come to a community to contribute - this IMHO is not the way.

1) Try to educate the neighbors by allowing them to see what you see on the screen when flying. Maybe they won't be so paranoid when they see everyone looks like ants on the ground.
this is a great and useful advice. may not exactly work though. (

This thread has been an interesting read. Obviously the laws are different in Australia to there but there are so many similarities in the situations faced by operators here and there. I guess people are people where ever you go. Some are whingers, some are open to reason.

As far as the opinions voiced I agree with both camps to a degree. If we, as legitimate R.P.A. owning law abiding individuals tuck tail and run every time some ill informed individual decides they don't like it an complain even though we are in the legal right then soon we are going to abdicate out rights by default.

That said, I never use a confrontational or adversarial manner. I'm well across the laws and regualtions, I carry links to same on my mobile phone and some written material in my flight case. When confronted I just act in a civil and confident but not cocky manner and politely stand my ground.

Around home has always been the least of my worries, it's an old subdivision, 70 yers plus, so the yards are very large allowing me to take off and land without breaching the proximity rules. I've lived here 26 years so I'm well known and I live 1 street away from several hundred acres of bushland. It's not a national park or anything like that, they'd develop it if they could I'm sure but it's basically swamp land and can't be drained and is blow the "flood plain" so council won't allow construction on it.

I'm a commercial operator (RePL) with my own business and so I use that area to test out new aircraft, new waypoint mission planning and photography ideas, pretty much anything I need to. On the day I certified I took my documents and went for a walk and door knocked every house for about 100M. Explained who I was and where I live, that I was a certified remote pilot with a business (showed them the docs) and explained that I would be doing testing on a constant but irregular basis for about the rest of forever and "here's a copy of the regulations".

I then went on to explain how the aircraft work and all the redundancies and how were I to drop dead in the middle of a test the aircraft would fly home and land safely besides my cooling corpse. Also as others here have pointed out, I offered to do a free roof or damage inspection for them without the usual $200 fee as a neighbourly gesture (it's a storm corridor here).

The shortest route from here to the bushland sees me have to overfly two properties. I have a pre programmed flight path that takes me right across the ridge lines of their roofs, with them I explained that while the airspace was free to use the regulations are strict in what I must do to ensure their safety and I could not overfly their property without landholder permission and safety measures in place. So I proposed that my aircraft would always be at 300FT before leaving my property to avoid noise, would overfly their garages and house not the yard area and if they would give me their phone number I could put them on speed dial and notify them so they could go inside for the two minutes it takes to overfly if they happen to be in the yard when I'm testing. They said "sure thing" so I printed up a little permissions agreement with my liability insurance details as well to add extra comfort and we all signed it and everything is as sweet as can be. They all know to come and speak with me if they have the slightest concern

To be honest I'm considered to be something in the realms of the local eccentric and captive entertainment (I'm also an Advanced Class radio ham and have huge towers on the house) and often the people in surrounding houses who have covered balconies come out to watch the entertainment. If they don;t have a covered balcony I ask they don't come out in the yard even if they are further than the required 30m. When someone new moves in to the area I don't even have to speak with them, all the other locals soon fill them in on the score lol, they're actually a little protective of their local pilot, you figure?

Never had an incident, never had a complaint and I'm able to stay within regulations because they co operate with me. If they all insisted on standing out in their yard near my fences I couldn't fly ... and I told them that.

So maybe I've just been lucky .... but we're talking about 20 to 30 households here and I got a 100% on my side sentiment ratio so I think it had a lot to do with approach method.

Sorry for the short story, hope you can read as fast as I type lol

Regards
Ari

That’s a classic Ari.

I can’t think of anything else you could do for your neighbours. I love the free roof inspection. I have a friendly real estate agent with a Mavic Air who came over around Christmas. I treated him to something he hasn’t done before in our backyard (not saying what!) and then he surprised me and pulled out his Air and we took some footage of our hail damaged roof. Guess who we’ll go to when it comes time to sell up... it’s all about relationships.

Excellent tips in there for any licensed pilots.

I think that every state, and in some cases, city, town, public parks, home association, etc, is going to have some rules in regards to drones. If not now soon. In my state NV, NV passed a law about drones. It basically parrots FAA rules, however, it mostly concentrates on government restrictions. For example, police must have a search warrant. As far a privacy, NV law states that pilot must stay at least 250 feet above private property, unless it is in the process of landing or taking off or landing. Police cannot cited a drone operator unless the owner of the property notifies the operator of the drone first about the violation of privacy. Then the next time police can cite the drone operator. In my state the state law mostly takes precedent over local laws. However, we have other government agencies still making rules nily willy. For example, you are not allowed to land or takeoff from any state park. Similar to the National Park Service rules. However, I think this drone issue is going to end up being a fight over who owns airspace - FAA or local governments. Right now, FAA is suppose to be in control, but I am sure this will be tested by courts. This is NV Law on drones: Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
There are many states and localities that have passed laws that are illegitimate, and I'm sure they know it. That doesn't seem to stop them. It's not only about airspace but drug use and "sanctuary" for criminals as well. The FAA controls airspace (doesn't own it), that is factual and should have no need to even be challenged at the expense of an individual that may be cited. Only takeoff and landing sites may be regulated locally. The 250 feet UAV limit is clearly BS. Privacy and harassment laws are another matter, and already exist to the extent that they would cover any drone-related issues.

It's sad because of all the ones doing wrong that makes the general public feel every drone is invading their privacy. A recent problem I had in a public park turned out having the person walking away. I was accused of invading their privacy. I handled kind of abruptly which was wrong because I was having a bad day and a bit of a bad mood and just out to distress. My reply to him was that I was sick of hearing that from people. I proceeded to tell him that immature 16 year olds with drones spy on the neighbors and spy on the neighbors daughter lying out at the pool. Furthermore, I told him that I was a 50 y/o trying to enjoy my photography hobby, have no interest in spying on him or anyone else. I continued to tell him that I absolutely didnt want him or anyone in my shot. My focus was on the waterfalls I was shooting. Lastly I told him he had 3 choices, walk away and leave me alone, go ahead and call the cops and look stupid because I was breaking no laws or stick around for 5 minutes until I was done and I'd show him on my ipad just exactly what I was doing. He walked away and I think he realized he was wrong.

Reactions: strdr
It's sad because of all the ones doing wrong that makes the general public feel every drone is invading their privacy. A recent problem I had in a public park turned out having the person walking away. I was accused of invading their privacy. I handled kind of abruptly which was wrong because I was having a bad day and a bit of a bad mood and just out to distress. My reply to him was that I was sick of hearing that from people. I proceeded to tell him that immature 16 year olds with drones spy on the neighbors and spy on the neighbors daughter lying out at the pool. Furthermore, I told him that I was a 50 y/o trying to enjoy my photography hobby, have no interest in spying on him or anyone else. I continued to tell him that I absolutely didnt want him or anyone in my shot. My focus was on the waterfalls I was shooting. Lastly I told him he had 3 choices, walk away and leave me alone, go ahead and call the cops and look stupid because I was breaking no laws or stick around for 5 minutes until I was done and I'd show him on my ipad just exactly what I was doing. He walked away and I think he realized he was wrong.

I can relate to all of that. Sadly all of us are ambassadors for our hobby/career to the public and it falls to us to try and reverse the damage done by a few reckless individuals and a media always hungry for a beat up and who never let the truth get in the way of a good headline. It's not fair but life rarely is.

I can also understand you being a little tired and getting short with people, were I still 30 I think a few of my encounters would be nothing like so civil. Now in my mid 50s I find it a little easier, although I still have to work on it some days. I actually work a little harder than most because at 6'4" and 260lb I'm still fairly imposing and capable and you can intimidate some people without ever intending to so I try and always be overly polite if anything.

It's good that the fellow in question probably left knowing he had it wrong, it's even better that you admit straight out you could have handled it better, anyone who never admits to getting it wrong never improves at anything.

I'll even go so far as to offer interested by standers a go under my instruction if the area is clear of the public, two of my retired locals have bought Sparks to take caravaning with them to take holiday snaps after talking with me. I gave both of the couples several hours of tuition and now have two more strong local allies with positive R.P.A. views. Inch by inch, that's how we're going to win the race for public approval.

Regards
Ari

I can relate to all of that. Sadly all of us are ambassadors for our hobby/career to the public and it falls to us to try and reverse the damage done by a few reckless individuals and a media always hungry for a beat up and who never let the truth get in the way of a good headline. It's not fair but life rarely is.

I can also understand you being a little tired and getting short with people, were I still 30 I think a few of my encounters would be nothing like so civil. Now in my mid 50s I find it a little easier, although I still have to work on it some days. I actually work a little harder than most because at 6'4" and 260lb I'm still fairly imposing and capable and you can intimidate some people without ever intending to so I try and always be overly polite if anything.

It's good that the fellow in question probably left knowing he had it wrong, it's even better that you admit straight out you could have handled it better, anyone who never admits to getting it wrong never improves at anything.

I'll even go so far as to offer interested by standers a go under my instruction if the area is clear of the public, two of my retired locals have bought Sparks to take caravaning with them to take holiday snaps after talking with me. I gave both of the couples several hours of tuition and now have two more strong local allies with positive R.P.A. views. Inch by inch, that's how we're going to win the race for public approval.

Regards
Ari
A lot of good points. I could of handled a little more calmly, but I guess we are all guilty of bad days. You’re right, we need to help educate so it will help us all in the long run. I did have another occasion where someone came at me in a much calmer manner and I did exactly what you said. They’re reply was that they didn’t realize how tiny the people looked. I showed them some of my saved work on my iPad and they left paying me a compliment.

Hi, what I did was contact my neighbors (I am a friendly guy my wife says), and I told them I have a drone and fly for fun but I also use it to check on any issues I might see myself or what I read about on the neighborhood email system. I live in a area of Albuquerque where the houses are on 1/2 and 1 acre lots, so everything is spread out. The other day I saw some smoke that seemed to be about 1/2 a mile away. I got Betsy up and got on my DJI Goggles to go take a look. It turned out it was a controlled burn as I saw 2 people and a dog walking around calmly. I did mention this to the neighbors. I also mentioned that I was up the other day looking for a lost dog. Even though not able to locate I posted my results on the NextDoor email system. So most of the neighbors said you know, that's really great that you do this and we are glad to have you as a neighbor. So, sometimes letting them know what you do as a neighbor can help. But don't for get to mention that if they personally might have a reason for you to launch Betsy, then give them your phone number and say "Anytime" and also let them know that you also fly for fun, and that you absolutely do not do any spying whatsoever, it's all for flying experience. So, our Congress here in America cannot get along, but neighbors can! Good Luck!

Bob

Attachments

• drone1.jpg
    drone1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 65
  • drone2.jpg
    drone2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 65
I was so pumped up when I bought my Mavic Air. Man did I get the wind taken out of my sails a bit when it started to hit me how many places there are that I can't fly. I try to look to the positive and all the places that I can but man it's rough at times... I felt like a kid again who gets a laundry list of rules and told no all the time. Not a great 1st post for me but I needed to stop lurking at some point.

Also a new drone owner here (Mavic Air) and I can relate. There is a ton of public open area around here; but after investigating I find that so much of it is closed to recreational drone use. All city parks, all "natural areas", all state parks, all national parks. I either have to drive an hour to national forest land, find an industrial lot or closed mega-store parking lot and hope that the owners don't mind, or fly in my yard (which is limiting since I don't want to unduly annoy my neighbors). I suppose that I am lucky that my house is in a sliver of airspace not covered by by an airport or heliport exclusion zone.

Some neighbors complained I fly my drone from my backyard. The officer was very nice and embarrassed but told me even though it’s not his jurisdiction as drone flying is FAA, he wanted to inform me that they were complaining about their privacy etc. Their complaint was they were concerned on how can I control it so high. I explained to the officer that it’s ok in the US under 400 feet and the max height I fly is under 390 feet. Just sad that people are so paranoid. He tells me they email him when I fly etc. I think it’s the same two nosy neighbors that always complain about everything. Ugggg, get a life please!! Leave me be.
I am part of a neighbor hood watch program, next to my house is a car wash and garage that have been broken into. I have their permission to fly over the property on a regular basis, but do not have the same flexibility in the 55 and over community that I live in. So, while my bird is up, and not directly flying over the senior community, I still keep a eye out for suspious activity in our neighborhood. police in the area of garage in courage me to fly over the property and record any persons trespassing on the property.
I love being able to help out.

Reactions: ChoccyBoy
Some neighbors complained I fly my drone from my backyard. The officer was very nice and embarrassed but told me even though it’s not his jurisdiction as drone flying is FAA, he wanted to inform me that they were complaining about their privacy etc. Their complaint was they were concerned on how can I control it so high. I explained to the officer that it’s ok in the US under 400 feet and the max height I fly is under 390 feet. Just sad that people are so paranoid. He tells me they email him when I fly etc. I think it’s the same two nosy neighbors that always complain about everything. Ugggg, get a life please!! Leave me be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have so many busy-bodies that have nothing better to do than peep our their windows looking for something to complain about.
I remember when I first put up my ham radio tower 38 years ago someone called and said I was interfering with their black & white TV. I told them I had filters on my equipment and wasn't bothering my TV.
I ask if they had a license to listen me. They said they didn't hand hung up.

Reactions: ChoccyBoy
"We have so many busy-bodies that have nothing better to do than peep our their windows looking for something to complain about "

TBH, there seems to be a bit of the pot calling the kettle black going on In this thread, those complaining about neighbours being nosey busybodies with nothing better to do need to look at how their own activities could be construed in exactly the same way.

Tolerance and consideration are both 2 way streets

Last edited:
I do lots of low level flying above my own few acres of property, and love to get about 20 feet above my miniature horses and put the M2P on a follow mode. It does not bother the horses, but when the neighbors dogs see the M2P, they start very heavy barking, which does upset the horses. I see those dogs bark a lot at people and other dogs walking by, and it usually does not bother the horses, they have gotten used to it. I suspect the horses are not "hardwired" to look up, and get more upset at not knowing what the dogs are barking at, as horses are VERY sensitive to possible threats.

Best of Luck with the neighbors....

I can't believe that it doesn't scare the horses. Any time I've flown near horses or cows they take off running. I assumed it was because it sounds like a swarm of bees to them.

Don't tell your neighbours you've got a Mavic 2 Zoom, they'd be even more paranoid.
It maybe convenient to fly off your backyard, but sometimes, it's just better to find somewhere else to fly, away from nosy neighbours.

Why? Why is it better to stop doing what we enjoy to satisfy their paranoia? And then, why stop with just drones? Maybe the next thing is they don't like you parking the car pointing towards their house!

I'm sorry but they need to realize they are in the wrong which they probably won't, but as long as OP isn't breaking any laws and has made a best effort, too bad. I'd try to start a conversation as long as they were not crazy people.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d