DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police hold drone hysteria press event in Pennsylvania

Its funny, the writer of the article mentions Bryant because he was a celebrity, but he makes no mention of the other 8 people who lost their lives in the copter crash?

Nor does he make any mention of the very poor decision that was made to fly a helicopter in very dangerous foggy weather.

They mentioned the Bryant crash purely to get some extra "traction" in their article because of the "Buzz" that story has created. Very bad form IMHO.

There was no incident involving a drone that prompted this press conference. It’s also illegal to resist arrest, or to interfere with police when they are making an arrest. Yet resisting arrest and interfering with police are far more common occurrences than drone interference. Why not a press conference reminding people that resisting arrest is against the law?

What you're missing is the fact that UAS operations are new and VERY new to a large portion of our society. If you're not fully involved in the industry (reading on forums like this, industry related FB groups etc) you may not know ANY of the rules & regulations. We see it almost every single day here on this forum as new members come onboard and say, "Wow I didn't know there were all these rules for my new toy R/C drone." You don't know what you don't know.

So why is making a public service announcement such a bad thing and why does it ruffle your feathers so much? I would think most of the members of our industry would WANT everyone to know as much about our industry as possible. Knowledge is power!!

I kinda got the impression that he was trying to insinuate that the Bryant crash might have been caused by a drone that was flying around in the fog.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't get anything like that from the article. :)

If your position is that following the law or not should be optional then you shouldn't be a free American citizen.

I have always respected your posts and opinions, but i must admit that this is the first i have seen that makes no sense (to me). To explore further I found myself wondering what law abiding citizens would have done when the law said African Americans couldn't sit near white people on public transport or drink water from the same places that white people drank from etc etc etc. Would you still feel the need to follow those laws knowing that they were terribly wrong? Thank god that there was a large number of white people who did not just follow along and fought back with everything they had. Many lost there lives doing so! They were also American Citizens, and some of the best your country has ever had imo.

You may think what the hell am i going on about but I see some comparisons here. No one has been hurt because of drones yet there is this terrible hysteria connected with all things drone! Even the policing on these forums is just plain crazy. When i see a new pilot post up a video where they went too far, or too high or BVLOS I just want to stop reading because I know whats coming.

Over 7 million human beings die every year from smoking related illnesses but not a peep from anyone. Tobacco

Mention that you are going to fly a drone and everyone freaks out. If that doesn't clearly show how crazy this situation is then nothing will.

Its just so sad to see all this negative press simply because a Chinese company beat every other western company to the table where drones are concerned. Good on DJI and good on China for making millions and millions of fun and super safe devices for free thinking human beings to enjoy. I am extremely happy that billions of dollars has made its way to China and not the US. And that is the ONLY reason for all this negative hysterical drone coverage in the media. Its all about MONEY and absolutely NOTHING else.

Reactions: franklinskite
Maybe I missed it but I didn't get anything like that from the article. :)

I missed this part of the article. Apparently, people were using their drones to try and peep at the crash site. Now it make sense.

"The event came less than a week after the helicopter crash in California that killed former NBA star Kobe Bryant. There, people using drones to glimpse the crash scene caused federal officials to close the air space above the site."

I have always respected your posts and opinions, but i must admit that this is the first i have seen that makes no sense (to me). To explore further I found myself wondering what law abiding citizens would have done when the law said African Americans couldn't sit near white people on public transport or drink water from the same places that white people drank from etc etc etc. Would you still feel the need to follow those laws knowing that they were terribly wrong? Thank god that there was a large number of white people who did not just follow along and fought back with everything they had. Many lost there lives doing so! They were also American Citizens, and some of the best your country has ever had imo.

You may think what the hell am i going on about but I see some comparisons here. No one has been hurt because of drones yet there is this terrible hysteria connected with all things drone! Even the policing on these forums is just plain crazy. When i see a new pilot post up a video where they went too far, or too high or BVLOS I just want to stop reading because I know whats coming.

Over 7 million human beings die every year from smoking related illnesses but not a peep from anyone. Tobacco

Mention that you are going to fly a drone and everyone freaks out. If that doesn't clearly show how crazy this situation is then nothing will.

Its just so sad to see all this negative press simply because a Chinese company beat every other western company to the table where drones are concerned. Good on DJI and good on China for making millions and millions of fun and super safe devices for free thinking human beings to enjoy. I am extremely happy that billions of dollars has made its way to China and not the US. And that is the ONLY reason for all this negative hysterical drone coverage in the media. Its all about MONEY and absolutely NOTHING else.
Perhaps Sar104 was a little strong in his comment but I think your response was way off base. Comparing fair and reasonable laws (so far) as they apply to drone operations to unjust laws applied in the civil rights era is a faulty analogy. Two totally different situations that absolutely do not relate.

You're correct, nobody has been hurt yet because of drones, but the scores of ignorant incidents where operators try to fly off the end of runways to get a picture of an aircraft landing, or worst perhaps, just wanting the "rush" associated with closing the airport may make an accident just a matter of time. Or those who seem to believe it's their constitutional right to fly over sporting events, natural disasters, or crash sites. I'm not sure why you would object to forum members criticizing operators that fly way above lawful heights or way, way beyond LOS. It's bad press for all of us who try to stay within the limits of the law. In the U.S. its all national air space regulated by the FAA. If a manned aircraft operator showed such blatant disregard of his rules, he would be fined or even lose his license.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of 7 million dying every year from smoking related illnesses, but you and I must be in a different world if you don't hear a peep from anyone. I see dozens of anti smoking TV ads every week. The dangers are posted in every hospital and most doctors offices I go in to. And in the US, they just raised the age to buy tobacco products to 21.

Yes, some people freak out when I mention I fly drones. But, many calm down when I explain the aviation rules I'm expected to follow, or that my DJI drones will not even take off in the vicinity of airports, sport arenas, or temporary restricted zones unless I unlawfully modify them.

You may believe the hysteria is economic because the majority of good drones are made in China and not the US. I believe it is because we have a few "rotten apples" whose bad publicity risks ruining this hobby for the rest of us.

Last edited:
I think it's just the word "drone" that scares people. It has a very mysterious sound to it, but with headlines like this "Drones create hazards for police and medical helicopters in Pa", but fails to site a verified report.

Basically, it's a very misleading headline.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Pilots can be ignorant, and yes, a little stupid perhaps, thinking that there are no rules to put anything in the sky with manned aircraft.

But unless ALL new drone purchases require a hobbyist licence to make a transaction, and a register of purchases to authority (for registration etc) there will always be a certain % of the new "pilots" that simply don't know, even with all the media.
Many people just don't follow the general news, and really drones only come up now and then, when they do it's usually negative and not much in the way of education.

The FAA can't educate people that they don't know about, those that won't go looking for info, they just get their drone and fly.
Sure, they will find out eventually, or lose their drone to unknown procedures / limitations.

What happens between purchase and education is not controllable.
What happens after that with stupidity, or blatant flouting of rules, is controllable with the new remote id.
As long as it can be put on every single drone.

If all drones were DJI, it could just not allow flight period, unless tampered with, then really heavy penalties are needed when a pilot is located by traditional means, to make them think twice about doing anything outside sensible rules.

Obviously one who has sat the test and registered their drone(s) knows, some don't follow the rules to the letter, this is where FAA could do mailings to people on their list, reminders about certain aspects like the one regarding TFR etc.

Yes - it was a rather hurried response where I was trying to address the logical inconsistency of a previous post, and it didn't really work. And it was referring to laws in general, rather than a specific law.

That said, I really don't get the accusations of hysteria. I see inaccurate reporting, and a slightly skewed public perspective on drones, but the only hysteria that I see is in the drone community, such as this forum. I've never seen anyone freak out over sUAS operations - have you?

As far as I can see the negative press has nothing to do with DJI beating everyone else, even though some of the bans on government use clearly have been driven by lobbying. These issues are simply newsworthy, in that people are interested in the coverage. To that degree it is about the money.

I thought this was well put:

“It’s vital for drone operators to understand that official emergency response activities take priority over personal attempts to get pictures or video of an incident scene by using a drone, and that use of a drone during an emergency may result in significant safety issues for emergency responders as well as delay vital care to those who are injured or in need of rescue,”

At least the above statement supplied a bit of education.
I also agree with this part of the article:

"amateur drone operators should abide by the same “community rules” that have long been followed by people who fly model airplanes".

This means (at a minimum) keeping VLOS and 400 foot AGL. But I understand it's possible to get caught up in a TFR. If you're operating in an area w/o cell service, you can't check for recent TFR's if they are suddenly issued. They can cover a large area that may be common zones where people are using drones at the time and it might be miles away from the incident. If for some reason I happen upon a emergency operation, I'd just turn around and simply RTH. However we all know about rubbernecker drone operators who do whatever they can to capture a cool shot. A lot of these incidents are probably due to a lack of education.

Reactions: BigAl07 and wsteele
"amateur drone operators should abide by the same “community rules” that have long been followed by people who fly model airplanes".

I've been out of the model aircraft scene since a young teenager, and that would have been a twin control line type of small ICE aircraft o_O

Do modern model fixed wing aircraft have any telemetry / video feed that can tell a pilot where their aircraft is and it's orientation ?
I've seen gopro etc on various fixed wing aircraft, motorised and gliders etc on youtube, but nothing that could allow such a pilot to fly out of VLOS.
Maybe there is on some aircraft, as many would require it I would think (those super fast jets ?).

That is the big difference with drones, they are almost MADE to go places and safely in regards to their own little space.

But in saying that, I agree flying VLOS is good practice for safety, knowing exactly where it is in relation to any manned aircraft that appear on the scene, and be able to bring it down quickly.

Reactions: dronerdave
Do modern model fixed wing aircraft have any telemetry / video feed that can tell a pilot where their aircraft is and it's orientation ?
I've seen gopro etc on various fixed wing aircraft, motorised and gliders etc on youtube, but nothing that could allow such a pilot to fly out of VLOS.
Maybe there is on some aircraft, as many would require it I would think (those super fast jets ?).

That is the big difference with drones, they are almost MADE to go places and safely in regards to their own little space.

But in saying that, I agree flying VLOS is good practice for safety, knowing exactly where it is in relation to any manned aircraft that appear on the scene, and be able to bring it down quickly.
Yes, some telemetry on the more high end aircraft especially true turbine RC aircraft but for stats more than orientation.

In the fixed wing community there are a few who have mounted cameras in the cockpit of slow flying aircraft that fly FPV but I've never seen one operate in person. My guess is they don't venture too far from the operator. The rules about VLOS have been the norm for years. Flying BVLOS will commonly result in a long walk with a trash bag to clean up the mess. Both fields I fly at are actual runways so we are always watching for incoming manned aircraft. On the larger runway we are scheduled to fly but have to share with other groups including law enforcement. When they are drilling, the helo pilot flies down to us and makes his presents known.
low fly over (2).jpg

We just stay clear of each other. At the smaller airport, we have a radio to listen for someone prepping to land. Just Saturday one landed and another took off. The ultralight trying to land radioed at us that he wanted the runway. His plane was so small that when he flew over the field I thought it was one of our guys flying a RC plane. It's kind of funny that many RC clubs fly off active runways and have been sharing the airspace with manned aircraft for years w/o any issues. Obviously VLOS works pretty well.

T-air park.jpg
T-air park 3.jpg

Reactions: Chip and BigAl07
It's kind of funny that many RC clubs fly off active runways and have been sharing the airspace with manned aircraft for years w/o any issues. Obviously VLOS works pretty well.

Wow, that is unexpected !
Great no incidents, I imagine if there were (even near misses) the practice would be stopped pretty quickly.
Good to see it working.

Reactions: Chip
We can ADD Video and Telemetry to just about any current UAS today... fixed wing, heli, multiRotor etc. Check out some of the FPV stuff they add on their experimental planes on

Reactions: dronerdave
We can ADD Video and Telemetry to just about any current UAS today... fixed wing, heli, multiRotor etc. Check out some of the FPV stuff they add on their experimental planes on

Absolutely, it's just generally not on fixed wing, hence the (absolute) need to stay VLOS, where drones are made to go BVLOS easily, even though they are too generally in most countries required to keep in VLOS for safety.

Flight Test is a great channel, their Millenium Falcon project was very entertaining !!

Reactions: BigAl07
Wow, that is unexpected !
Great no incidents, I imagine if there were (even near misses) the practice would be stopped pretty quickly.
Good to see it working.
Well that was a generalization on my part. I'm sure that there have probably been close calls and if you dig you might find a few incidents between RC and Manned aircraft colliding, just very few and far between. My point is model aircraft flight has been around for decades and has gone unnoticed due to (IMO) a proven safety factor when dealing with manned aircraft as the article hints. But (RC) crashes are common and although we follow AMA safety rules, I've had a couple of RC planes crash into me by novice RC pilots that have lost control. Thankfully they were light planes and the pilots had the sense to kill the throttle. I had to learn how to handle fixed wing RC airplanes by using a buddy box and finally a trainer plane. My Mavic Pro was more of a read the instructions before flying type aircraft and didn't take a lot of practice learning to fly it. I do agree DJI type multirotors are much safer to fly due to how stable they are and is probably a factor why there are so many issues during emergencies. Funny you never hear about a fixed wing RC airplane encroachment by those flying manned aircraft but I'm not a pilot...maybe it has. Instead we see people posting video flying out of compliance so we all know it's happening. That also leads to more false sightings.

Reactions: BigAl07
Well that was a generalization on my part. I'm sure that there have probably been close calls and if you dig you might find a few incidents between RC and Manned aircraft colliding, just very few and far between. My point is model aircraft flight has been around for decades and has gone unnoticed due to (IMO) a proven safety factor when dealing with manned aircraft as the article hints. But (RC) crashes are common and although we follow AMA safety rules, I've had a couple of RC planes crash into me by novice RC pilots that have lost control. Thankfully they were light planes and the pilots had the sense to kill the throttle. I had to learn how to handle fixed wing RC airplanes by using a buddy box and finally a trainer plane. My Mavic Pro was more of a read the instructions before flying type aircraft and didn't take a lot of practice learning to fly it. I do agree DJI type multirotors are much safer to fly due to how stable they are and is probably a factor why there are so many issues during emergencies. Funny you never hear about a fixed wing RC airplane encroachment by those flying manned aircraft but I'm not a pilot...maybe it has. Instead we see people posting video flying out of compliance so we all know it's happening. That also leads to more false sightings.

Well said Dave. You hit several nails on the head with this one bud.

Reactions: old man mavic
If commercial drone deliveries from Amazon, UPS, FedX and every mom and pop pizza joint become a reality, we can only assume that potential drone near hits with the public or other aircraft will exponentially rise. It always amazes me to see all the media hoopla when it comes to OUR little drones but yet nobody in the media seems to be in the least bit concerned with the likely arrival of these delivery drones, which will be considerably larger and more likely to cause harm than our little "toys". By their intended usage, the delivery drone WILL be flying in locations we are currently NOT permitted to fly in.
I guess we hobbyist drone fliers are a much easier target to pick on that large commercially backed outfits.
Oh well, time will tell how it all turns out. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Drgnfli
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian