DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Police question

I am reading the question the same way FLDAVE read it. The first sentence says “In the U.S., can law enforcement take control of a drone?

You are cherry picking the original post and ignoring context. If you and FL Dave read it the same way - you are both wrong. This is a technology question - not a use of force question.

Nobody can assume control over your drone. They have no idea how it is setup which makes a more dangerous situation
I would refuse to allow that action most likely and quickly offer to land it. Then cooperate with him/her.
Nobody takes my drone while flying. Cops have rules they follow. I don’t think they would want to anyway. I have several cop friends. They would crash it every time most likely.

In the U.S., can law enforcement take control of a drone? Can they land it, fly it to their location or any thing else other than use Aeroscope? Can they jam the signal? I have a friend who is concerned that they can. Thanks
Sir ! Law Enforcement Agencies cannot take control of your UAS ( Drone) , but they can request your registration and documents as well as an administrator FAA POC , LEAP Law Enforcement Assistance Program. . It all depends if the operator ( Pilot ) flies in violation of 14 CFR 107 rules and regulations.

Thanks guys, let me clarify. Can law enforcement remotely take over your drone? I know tha Aeroscope can only receive signals, NOT control remotely. My friend insists that he knows of a situation where LEOs remotely took over a drone and crashed it into a building. I explained that it is not legal and there is no authority allowed to do this. I also explained that most fly-aways are pilot fault(mostly no home point update before take-off) and only occasionally equipment malfunction. I am just looking for reinforcement and to dispel a few horror rumors. Thanks

Thanks for this clarification as to what you (the OP) meant: can LEO's electronically or remotely, take control of a drone? No is the answer.

I am reading the question the same way FLDAVE read it. The first sentence says “In the U.S., can law enforcement take control of a drone?“ Yes he can, he can walk up and take the controller out of his hand, fly it where ever he wants. The officer is in control of it. And no I’m not confusing confiscation with control. If the person is arrested then the drone or whatever may be confiscated.
I agree with you on everything else.
The most likely scenario would be a LEO letting you land the drone first. If there was something illegal done prior to that, then maybe they would confiscate the drone and remote. But, I really doubt they would go that far, unless the PIC did something really illegal.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Finally clarified by OP. All it took was adding "remotely" to the first question. The simple answer then becomes "no".

Reactions: Myetkt
In the U.S., can law enforcement take control of a drone? Can they land it, fly it to their location or any thing else other than use Aeroscope? Can they jam the signal? I have a friend who is concerned that they can. Thanks
I know they can jam it

Here is an old thread discussing jamming vs spoofing GPS signal which apparently may force drone to hover in place until battery runs low enough to trip autoland. I am guessing that anti-drone device cannot pull drone somewhere like a "tractor beam" but it can force drone to hover and then autoland.

Drone Defender claims to disrupt GPS and radio signal from controller.

Here is an old thread discussing jamming vs spoofing GPS signal which apparently may force drone to hover in place until battery runs low enough to trip autoland. I am guessing that anti-drone device cannot pull drone somewhere like a "tractor beam" but it can force drone to hover and then autoland.

Drone Defender claims to disrupt GPS and radio signal from controller.
Both methods are illegal in the U.S.

Both methods are illegal in the U.S.
I agree except in most extraordinary of circumstance. But, then, merely using aeroscope to intercept and track an electronic drone signal without consent of user and special legal authorization may also violate state and federal law.

Cops here say they could care less about drones. Too many other problems. After flying for over a year I had someone finally go to the sheriff telling him they did not want me flying over their property any longer. Said I was hovering in front of their house. I have tried to get up to where I think they live and that is not possible with 40 ft trees just to the east of me and keeping the drone to 400 feet it is not possible. He (sheriff) looked a few things up on the internet and said there was nothing he could do. Told the cops to tell the property owner to call the local ambulance chopper and tell them they did not want THEM flying over their property any more and see how that went.

Remotely:
Can Legally? No
Can Technically? Very likely yes. I'd be surprised if the Feds and Military don't both have the capability. They are not going to use or expose that capability unless quite critical though.

Physically:
Can Legally? No
Can Technically? Yes (unless you are larger and better armed).

Can they yes, but are they going to do it most likely No.

As long as you are cooperating with them , they will simply ask you to bring back the drone and land, and most likely hang around until you are gone. The real drone police are on the Forum keeping everyone in check as to what is current.

The Police only tend to get involved when there is a Complaint.
Thus flying with commons sense is # 1 regardless of the FAA laws.

# Are you putting anyone in Danger, People , Pets and Animals and Birds - Likely to get complaints.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
View attachment 150355
Only federal law enforcement agencies can take action on a drone if they see you doing something illegal and/or safe. No local police or sheriff's department is authorized to take action on it.

Doubtful that local law enforcement would have the technology needed for any of that, but:

The first question that came to mind after reading the OP's question is , "Why is this a concern?".

Yes, there are what's called 'spoofing' anti drone tech, but as @Ty Pilot says, your average PD will not have this sort of tech.
Feds, probably, even then there would be small units in high response type depts that are trained to operate them.
Most of this is probably more location based, military, guarded critical infrastructure.

Also later in the vides at 4:54 shows jammers than can bring a drone down to land.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Familiar with how LE works, I can say for certain that there are no devices that public safety can use to "take control of an sUAS. If they did, they would use it every time a drone is flying over a wildfire. To reiterate an LEO has to have a good reason to ask questions or investigate anyone flying a drone. The easiest way to stay off LE's radar is to fly responsibly and know the FAA rules and regs and you will have no issues!

Reactions: Crow Horse
Yes, there are what's called 'spoofing' anti drone tech, but as @Ty Pilot says, your average PD will not have this sort of tech.
Feds, probably, even then there would be small units in high response type depts that are trained to operate them.
Most of this is probably more location based, military, guarded critical infrastructure.

Also later in the vides at 4:54 shows jammers than can bring a drone down to land.
Thanks for the link to the video; very informative.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Technically, I'm pretty sure it is possible to jam the signal, but it is very unlikely that they would do this because that would mean the drone would be completely out of control and could come crashing down anywhere. This would be a huge safety hazard.
The same reason why it is against the law to shoot down a drone (or any flying object for that matter). You might hurt someone when it falls down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown