DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll: Gimbal cover: on or off?

Do you keep the gimble cover on during flight?

• Total voters
Not sure that the hood getting in the picture is really the issue .. when flying fast forward or yawing at full stick, the gimbal is reaching its limits and 'judders'. The hood showing in view is a timely reminder that you're not recording good video and should slow down and/or use tripod mode? Or, to put it another way, the hood helps you assess the filming situation.
It depends on what you're filming. A full FF/Yaw does not indicate bad filming. It is often required in action scenes. And you don't have to yaw very fast to get the hood in the frame.

And that's almost besides the point. The cover or the hood provides negligible protection. It is more for peace of mind than actual protection.

It depends on what you're filming. A full FF/Yaw does not indicate bad filming. It is often required in action scenes. And you don't have to yaw very fast to get the hood in the frame.

I wasn't clear, sorry. I was just pointing out that at full forward stick the drone is nose down and (if the camera is set to straight-ahead) the gimbal is necessarily hitting its stop and is therefore juddering. Not good for any scene, action or otherwise. To get a steady picture when flying fast forward you need to pitch the camera down a bit (whether there's a hood on or not) -- and if there is a hood then it won't show.

Maybe Mavic 2 will allow the camera to pitch up above the horizontal .. then one could get a frontal shot, horizon mid-pitch, while flying forwards ...

There's no controversy - your video and stills will suck if you leave it on.
That said I didn't vote because it depends. If I'm fooling around with FPV podracing then I leave it on since I'm likely to dip into grass and stuff (but oh man is it fun to surf long grass!).
If I'm flying up higher and video or stills is my goal then take it off.
Bottom line is I consider the gimbal to be the weakest part of the MP and my flying behavior determines how much risk mitigation is required.

Maybe Mavic 2 will allow the camera to pitch up above the horizontal .. then one could get a frontal shot, horizon mid-pitch, while flying forwards ...
Litchi has a setting that will give you positive gimbal angle.

not everyone is a "life long" photographer, i fly as a hobby. putting a transparent cover over my drone is "stupidity" and "madness". wow just listen to your self buddy. is that exaggeration much? oh the humanity...... get it off. what a joke
You asked for people's opinions, you got them. If you don't care what others think in the first place don't ask them.

Reactions: jorn and JHSlayer
You asked for people's opinions, you got them. If you don't care what others think in the first place don't ask them.

completely agree, but i am entitled to respond am i not? i am more so motivated particularly if people exaggerate there opinion like its going to be the end of the world "madness" and "stupidity" if i did leave the cover on.

now that you have weight in on the conversation i am able to comment that it is foolish and madness to do such a thing.

Last edited:
This is the internet. That's how it works, be aware of it and expect nothing else. And it shows, since when you responded to them you did so with exactly the same attitude.

I wish DJI didn't have the plastic cover on in some of the videos. I never dawned on me to fly with the cover on, but then I watched the Tap Fly video and there I see the drone flying with the cover on, just as obvious as can be. So, then I waste time falling down this rabbit hole reading this whole thread. Wish I had that 30 minutes back. Thanks for nothing, DJI. See at 22 seconds:

Reactions: Steveyg777
I wish DJI didn't have the plastic cover on in some of the videos. I never dawned on me to fly with the cover on, but then I watched the Tap Fly video and there I see the drone flying with the cover on, just as obvious as can be. So, then I waste time falling down this rabbit hole reading this whole thread. Wish I had that 30 minutes back. Thanks for nothing, DJI. See at 22 seconds:

I kept the gimbal cover on when i first bought my mavic pro but quickly realised that it creates a shimmer on my footage which spoils it.if dji could perfect this then I'd always have my cover on, which is actually the safest and best method

im free to be ranted on cuz im a tough old fogie but i have a clear and a tinted gimbal shield thats designed to be left on that i plan on using just for added protection to the gimble.

I’ve always flown with gimbal off. But today, I thought I might put it on, just to fly for fun and see if it improves aerodynamics and give me a bit more flight time. I was planning to just put it in fixed wing mode and fly around. But for some reason, powering on with gimbal cover limits max height, 30m and distance, 50m. It was strange that all settings were fine. Brought it down turn off, took off gimbal cover, turn on and restrictions were gone. Maybe DJI doesn’t want us to fly with over on.

Has nothing to do with the cover.
I like your way of answering the question . lol .....So since you teased with that little answer would you Care to elaborate? I ask because I want to learn also ,so if you have something to add I would like to hear it.

I’ve always flown with gimbal off. But today, I thought I might put it on, just to fly for fun and see if it improves aerodynamics and give me a bit more flight time. I was planning to just put it in fixed wing mode and fly around. But for some reason, powering on with gimbal cover limits max height, 30m and distance, 50m. It was strange that all settings were fine. Brought it down turn off, took off gimbal cover, turn on and restrictions were gone. Maybe DJI doesn’t want us to fly with over on.
Ive never had that happen to me, so thats strange. I started flying with it on at first but when I went and looked at videos and pictures I realized its going to be almost impossible to get good stuff with it on. So that was about 100 flights ago and I haven't looked back since. I have bought different types of shields and its just been a waste of money besides the one that I use for transporting that holds the camera in a fixed position unlike the one DJI sends with the Mav. If the Mav crashes the shield they send with won't really help it because it will pop off, so I don't know what it is to be used for besides traveling

I usually take it off. If I leave it on, on the lower left corner of the video I shot there seems to be the footage of the propeller. I don't know if this is the case for everyone. See the almost transparent white band in the image below.
Screen_Shot_2017_12_31_at_10_44_43_PM.png

I don't see
I usually take it off. If I leave it on, on the lower left corner of the video I shot there seems to be the footage of the propeller. I don't know if this is the case for everyone. See the almost transparent white band in the image below.
Screen_Shot_2017_12_31_at_10_44_43_PM.png
I don't see the propeller, I see the glare form the screen though. thats what leaving the screen does to your pictures. I have heard to sand it, to cut it but in the end to remove it is the best when using it for video and pictures. If you're going to be racing it then its good to have screen on. But generally it just screws up the result.

I personally don't fly with it on, but DJI themselves fly with it on during advertisements that I see so I'm sure it's safe to do so. Your picture quality just won't be as good.

Reactions: DCatalo
I feel for a beginner it is not a bad idea to fly it with the bubble on and keep the drone in sight all time. after some practice and when the user is ready to take videos and photos the bubble is better removed for best view quality.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini