• 51-60

Votes: 183 23.1%
  • 61-70

Votes: 221 27.9%
  • 71-80

Votes: 79 10.0%
  • 81-90

Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91+ (Congrats! Please say your age in a post!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Interesting poll. I expected the majority to be over 50, and surprised to see it over 60. I’m 62, retired after a 40year career in aviation. After years of flying big planes, I started flying small ones and helicopters in the 80’s.
About 15 years ago, I saw this abomination with 4 rotors someone had built, and HAD to try that. What followed was a decade of carbon fibre, prop cuts and broken plastic until DJI introduced the Phantom 1. Then everything changed; it flew, stable and powerful, and you could finally take a Gopro airborne.what followed...one of each Phantom that came out, a flame wheel 550 kit, an s1000, an Inspire 1 and 2. Then the Mavic, and the five others I still have sat idle for 6 months until being sold. I took the needed training to fly commercially again, and now have a Matrice 210 with FLIR and an X5, waiting for a Micasence RGB camera, strictly for paying jobs. The Mavic is always with me and flies the most. The Matrice is an incredible machine and I love flying it, but it has the same issue everything before the Mavic had; I need to “intend” to fly, pack everything up, load it into the car and go fly. The Mavic is in a backpack by the door; every time I leave the house I take it along, just in case. No “intent” needed...only an excuse ....I can fly anytime I come across something interesting. A subtle but significant difference, I think

Will be 67 in April. For those younger, be grateful, people say youth is wasted on the young!

Soon to be 62 and I used to be a professional climbing/outdoor photographer. Now I am having a blast taking high quality ariel photos & videos with the Mavic. I used to have to contract a helicopter or plane to get ariel shots so for $1000 it is a great deal plus learning to fly the drone has been exciting. My kids don't understand what the big deal is getting great ariel photos whenever and wherever I want with minimal expense, time and effort.

Last edited:
I'm very surprised to see that I'm in the largest age group (61-70). My guess would've been somewhere between 20 to 40. Maybe we should have a get together down at the senior center. I think they have enough handicap parking spaces for us old guys.

Reactions: REDAGITATOR
Not a Mavic pilot, but read the thread, and astonished to see the average age at 61-70, had expected it to be around 30-40, but maybe the cost is too much for many younger folks. 64 myself. My preference is wing racing (and crashing), but started out building quads when the first NAZA Lite came out. Things have moved on a lot in only a few years.

I know it's early in this thread, but I'm surprised there aren't younger members. Maybe they're all asleep already.
Thought there would be more young members im a 16 year old have a mavic and 2 Racing quads I built drones is my hobby

Interesting poll. I expected the majority to be over 50, and surprised to see it over 60. I’m 62, retired after a 40year career in aviation. After years of flying big planes, I started flying small ones and helicopters in the 80’s.
About 15 years ago, I saw this abomination with 4 rotors someone had built, and HAD to try that. What followed was a decade of carbon fibre, prop cuts and broken plastic until DJI introduced the Phantom 1. Then everything changed; it flew, stable and powerful, and you could finally take a Gopro airborne.what followed...one of each Phantom that came out, a flame wheel 550 kit, an s1000, an Inspire 1 and 2. Then the Mavic, and the five others I still have sat idle for 6 months until being sold. I took the needed training to fly commercially again, and now have a Matrice 210 with FLIR and an X5, waiting for a Micasence RGB camera, strictly for paying jobs. The Mavic is always with me and flies the most. The Matrice is an incredible machine and I love flying it, but it has the same issue everything before the Mavic had; I need to “intend” to fly, pack everything up, load it into the car and go fly. The Mavic is in a backpack by the door; every time I leave the house I take it along, just in case. No “intent” needed...only an excuse ....I can fly anytime I come across something interesting. A subtle but significant difference, I think
I’ll be 66 in June. Been flying drones for 3 yrs now. Love my MP and heartily agree. The Mavic goes everywhere, always looking for any excuse to be in air.

Seems the drone hobby/profession has many different age groups involved. So I thought it might be fun to see the various ages of everyone.

I just turned (it's painful to say this!) 60! My mortality is rapidly coming into focus. Not a good feeling.
Feel good! I'm just about to go 10 up on you :>( But the Inspire, Mavic and a P4 erase a few of those years

Back when I was a kid in 2012 we had to 3D print our quads and hexes. My first quad took me 3 months to build, tune and get into the air with the Arduino flight controller :eek: I can't believe how quickly the technology has changed in just 6 years.
Tiny Whoops, FPV racers, Spark, Mavic Air, MP, P3P (resurrected several times), P4 and I2 (yes I need help).

58 birthdays so far

61 in July. Nice to know I'm not the only geezer that loves to play with expensive toys! Bought a Mavic Pro Platinum so I could help locate the Mavic Pro I lost and crashed in the Arizona outback. Found the MP and got a replacement thanks to DJI Care service. Much more careful now about flying behind mountains and structures

I am 51 and act like I am 21. No slowing down. Especially when you see guys in their 80's that are gong strong. LOL

Seems the drone hobby/profession has many different age groups involved. So I thought it might be fun to see the various ages of everyone.

I just turned (it's painful to say this!) 60! My mortality is rapidly coming into focus. Not a good feeling.

I just turned 70. I've got a Spark and a Mavic Pro. I seldom fly the Spark, since getting the MP. Maybe I'll sell the Spark.

My wife thinks I’m crazy with this drone thing. Was about to buy the mpp when the air came out now mp2 maybe on the way so I can wait another month. I’m showing her this post so she see 80% are above 40!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N