DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll-What kind of range are you REALLY getting with your Air?

200 yards maybe 3
I was watching my Arc II led the other night and when I blinked and lost it was at a distance of 1400 ft, 400 ft up. Could have kept going, but like I said could no longer see it. You must be in a high interference area.

I have it on Auto select for frequency range. No mods to RC or AC.

1528meters over water to video a lighthouse a couple weeks back. Could continue very easily. Only had video chop for a second or two in entire flight. Way farther than I normally go. Usually maybe 500m average as the subjects are close. Too bad the Flight Record doesn't show what freq it was using, so no idea.

Over water is a benefit with RF as the radio waves will bounce way further than normal. Fyi.

Screenshot_20190915-192423.png

I'm not afraid to send it out a mile. There are no trees and land is flat. Will try farther one of these days. Spotting scope works wonders !!

I got out pretty far yesterday, flying along power lines/utility easement. Unfortunately I don't get usable logs when flying with the goggles and didn't remember to check the distance when I turned around. Using Googles maps I was able to estimate the flight at just over a mile/1600 meters. If there are many trees in my way I start breaking up at .25 miles.

I posted a YouTube film (
) showing a Mavic Air flight of approximately 1.5Km (about 1 mile), but this was my first go at any such distance. On that film, the live feed was very stuttery at the greatest distances. Also, the conditions were ideal - there was good line of sight the whole way, and little wind. I have now flown this route five times, and the simple, cheap parabolic antennae amplifiers have eliminated the stuttery live feed, and improved gimbal pitch control. Although I am in the UK, I use the FCC mode hack and fly at 2.4GHz.
I have now flown two other 1.5Km routes on regular occasions, each time without incident, and always using Litchi for route efficiency. I am not keen to go much further, but I am more confident in the 0.5 to 1 mile range, provided there are no obstructions, and I can keep the Mavic Air 30-70m above me.

I have a set of the range extenders (parabolic ones) that came with the combo when I bought my MA. I never used them until today. I was curious.

I did a test with the same route and altitude. Both with new batteries. Flying in an urban area.

I got 326 meters more with the extenders. To be fair, that is arbitrary because I turned back when I started to lose the signal. I did the flights three times within 40 minutes. That is the average I cam up with.

My limited experience is that the extenders do work "for me" at 2.4ghz. One thing to note is (and it has been brought up many times in other places on the internet) is that if you are using the extenders, make sure you are pointing at the drone. I saw on youtube where a guy was aiming his controller higher as he was losing signal, he should have been lowering it toward the horizon.

I doubt I will use them again unless I am in a really flat area. Just totally bored this morning when I woke up :)

My longest one way distance was 6000 feet. That was on the coast towards the sea so no interference. I did have one or two glitches in video feed but it recovered. By the time I chickened out and decided to return I was still getting good feed. I'm guessing I could have pushed it to 7000 feet? 6k is good enough for me, in fact way more than I thought.

Hmmm, my Mavic Air manual says "transmission range up to 2.49 miles or 4 km". It doesn't sound like anyone's getting anywhere close to that. There is a video on YouTube where 'The Everyday Dad' does a range test over water and gets 4km. I'd be happy to get half that in real world conditions. I'm kind of disappointed as I purchased it believing it could go further. It's really the only thing I don't like about my Air.
I would not have purchased a Mavic Air if it weren't for Litchi. 95% of my flying is Litchi missions. Range is only limited by your battery. I've gone over 2.5 miles out several times.

All you guys worried about how far you can fly....have you ever thought about buying an aeroplane LOL

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d