DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poor connectivity in city

macoman

Reactions
I was filming on the Delaware river close to the Benjamin Franklin bridge in Philadelphia. The Mavic was around 800 feet and saw that the controller status on top was blinking. It is normal for occusync to be unreliable in a downtown?

It really depends greatly on the situation that day and exactly where you are located, but 800 feet is really bad.

I fly all the time from that area. I've flown on the Philly side from Race street Pier and from Penn's Landing. I have also flown from the NJ side by Campbell field.

Now I do not have a Mavic, but if anything OcuSync is supposed to give you better signal than the LightBridge in my Phantom 4 Pro. With my 4 Pro, I was easily able to get from the Ben Franklin, past the Battleship NJ and way past South Street.

Come to think of it I even flew my Spark from the Race Street Pier and crossed the river to get to Campbell Field. That's with only a WiFi signal. So in general you should be getting much much better that 800 feet. Maybe it was just a bad signal day. Try again and see if it is better.

Reactions: macoman
It really depends greatly on the situation that day and exactly where you are located, but 800 feet is really bad.

I fly all the time from that area. I've flown on the Philly side from Race street Pier and from Penn's Landing. I have also flown from the NJ side by Campbell field.

Now I do not have a Mavic, but if anything OcuSync is supposed to give you better signal than the LightBridge in my Phantom 4 Pro. With my 4 Pro, I was easily able to get from the Ben Franklin, past the Battleship NJ and way past South Street.

Come to think of it I even flew my Spark from the Race Street Pier and crossed the river to get to Campbell Field. That's with only a WiFi signal. So in general you should be getting much much better that 800 feet. Maybe it was just a bad signal day. Try again and see if it is better.
It's really weird... Today the weather was awesome and no winds. I was exactly on the pier 1 area and lot of people and tourists around. I am thinking that probably too much WiFi in the area that is messing the Mavic Pro.

As an amateur radio operator I can tell you radio waves act as phantoms themselves at times. You never know when there may be some strange harmonics or excessive transmissions for one reason or another, even caused by sun spots or the lack of them. One day can be different from the rest. But, as mentioned, Occusync should be the better radio system as it can change bands on its own if needed for a better connection. Think about the spot you were standing in, whether you had tried moving several feet during the flight to improve the connection if there was interference.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC