DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poor Photo Quality

daithi23

Reactions
I'm slowly getting to know the Mavic better and I'm making improvements all the time in shooting video and using the settings but photographs still come out in really poorly. Similar to the effect of shooting 60FPS in video, blurred oil painting style, Not sure is it a setting I have wrong or that's just the way it is. Here's a snip at 100% zoom, it's more noticeable at that level but you can still see it looks bad at 50 and even 25%. Any thoughts appreciated.

Reactions: Sean
Is this a photo saved to your photo or one from the SD card in the Mavic itself.

Thats not good then. I can only suggest checking the style setting in the camera adjustments. My images are coming out sharp and clear. I shoot in RAW usually in the exposure bracket mode with the standard style setting.

I agree with Southy. I'm a fairly hard-core photographer who has just moved to the Mavic Pro and I've been pleasantly surprised by the sharpness of the RAW images. More than likely a style setting.

I have to say, I've been really surprised by the stability and clarity of the Mavic to shoot long exposure seascapes. I shot a 5 sec exposure yesterday and it's pretty good!

BP

Brent this must be a jpeg image then? This is another example which to me is saying there is some wierd noise reduction going on with non RAW images. Their processing for jpeg and h264 files is quite shocking at the moment. Considering its the same sensor as the x3, p3, and p4, you`d think they wouldn't go backwards with this.

I just had this same problem after upgrading to the latest firmware (1.03.0200). My photo was from the SD card in RAW format and it looked like a finger painting. Everything was fine before the firmware update. I tried resetting the camera settings but that didn't help. So, I reverted the firmware back to the older version (1.03.0000) and that fixed it. I'm trying to upgrade to the latest firmware again as we speak to see if the problem comes back.

Brent this must be a jpeg image then? This is another example which to me is saying there is some wierd noise reduction going on with non RAW images. Their processing for jpeg and h264 files is quite shocking at the moment. Considering its the same sensor as the x3, p3, and p4, you`d think they wouldn't go backwards with this.
This is the jpeg, I'm abroad at the moment so not easy to check the RAW files. Are people's RAW files looking good but the JPEGs not so much?

I just had this same problem after upgrading to the latest firmware (1.03.0200). My photo was from the SD card in RAW format and it looked like a finger painting. Everything was fine before the firmware update. I tried resetting the camera settings but that didn't help. So, I reverted the firmware back to the older version (1.03.0000) and that fixed it. I'm trying to upgrade to the latest firmware again as we speak to see if the problem comes back.
Let us know either way how the FW upgrade affects things, thanks

It's really pretty good from RAW, the JPGs are 'variable'
I was just pleasantlyt surprised by how good this is from this afternoon.

31923670946_8da82a72e7_o.jpg

Quick update: There was a break in the snow, so I went out for a quick flight. The new firmware (install number 2) did not bring back the 'fingerpainting' crappy photo quality issue. My video and photos are just as crisp as they were before. So, something must have just gone wrong during my first attempt at upgrading the firmware. I will say, however, that the 'jello' is back in my videos, even though that is one of the things this specific firmware version was supposed to address cold weather camera performance (it's 23°F). I will do another IMU calibration, Gimbal calibration, and camera reset (what DJI had me do to get rid of it before) and will see if that helps. It started snowing again, so testing may have to wait until tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies, hoping so it's just a JPEG issue and RAW are good, I'll have to wait another couple of week til I find out though

My raw are definitely not good but my jpeg yes. What setting do you guys recommend. I'm on auto at this time with jpeg + raw. Very sunny here.
Thanks

I've mostly been shooting video so I was in Art before the FW upgrade when I changed to Cinelike -1 -1 -1. After doing some footage I liked I'd stop video, take a snap and take some more footage. Although my JPEG stills look awful so maybe wait for some better advice :D

I wish you could save custom settings to quickly switch between them...

My raw are definitely not good but my jpeg yes. What setting do you guys recommend. I'm on auto at this time with jpeg + raw. Very sunny here.
Thanks
My raw photos are bad as well. JPEG is ok but raw is fuzzy. What the heck am I doing wrong?.

A quick reminder that shooting RAW is just that - no color style or sharpness is applied. They should be edited in something like Lightroom to get the most out of them. With that said, I'm using no color style in D-Log and am getting some good results.
97fb05f478e911340c983da4df2e598c.jpg

A quick reminder that shooting RAW is just that - no color style or sharpness is applied. They should be edited in something like Lightroom to get the most out of them. With that said, I'm using no color style in D-Log and am getting some good results.
97fb05f478e911340c983da4df2e598c.jpg
That photo looks great. I've tried taking both raw and jpeg for the same shot. When I look at them both the raw picture is fuzzy. Is that the way your raw photo looks before editing?

It depends what you mean by "fuzzy". Before sharpness and contrast are applied, the RAW images will look flat and soft. I also shoot RAW + JPG. The RAW files are much larger and contain more image data so naturally, they look more detailed, but again, soft as they haven't been sharpened yet. The JPG's have in-camera sharpness applied along with other adjustments and there camera's throws away image data (detail) that it thinks you don't need. It may look sharper (less fuzzy) because of this, depending on whether you're looking at it on a phone screen or a computer monitor. Also, make sure you're using the images from your SD card, and not the "previews" that are saved on your phone/tablet. If you can post a sample image that you're working with, it'd be easier to diagnose what the issue is.

If I look at lettering on a building for example the jpeg is crisp and sharp however the raw is fuzzy, just not clear. I deleted all my raw photos so I can't send . I will take some photos shortly and let you take a look. Thanks for the help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00