DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poor smart controller signal

Bengaz

Reactions
Got the New smart controller.
Took up the Mavic 2 pro today and after 1600ft starting getting poor signal message.
Came Back, landed, turned off twice, still same message.
Never had this using smartphone.
Never been in this area before tho.
Anyone had similar issues?

Never been in this area before tho.

It's impossible to come to any conclusions without a back-to-back comparison, so if it was a new area I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Even then, interference conditions can change by the second so it's really difficult determine even if you did do a back-to-back test.

Personally I have no issues with my SC, most reports I've seen seem to suggest more range than the stock controller, but it is extremely situation dependent and all information is anecdotal.

All you can really do is make sure the flat portions of the antenna are always pointed towards the aircraft - the rest is out of your hands.

If after extensive back-to-back testing you find the SC consistently has significantly worse range, I would open a warranty case with DJI.

Reactions: Bengaz
It's impossible to come to any conclusions without a back-to-back comparison, so if it was a new area I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Even then, interference conditions can change by the second so it's really difficult determine even if you did do a back-to-back test.

Personally I have no issues with my SC, most reports I've seen seem to suggest more range than the stock controller, but it is extremely situation dependent and all information is anecdotal.

All you can really do is make sure the flat portions of the antenna are always pointed towards the aircraft - the rest is out of your hands.

If after extensive back-to-back testing you find the SC consistently has significantly worse range, I would open a warranty case with DJI.
Thanks.
To make matters worse I was on top of a hill, unobstructed and in life of sight with few buildings around.
I was about a mile from Brighton harbour tho maybe some interference from there?

That's why I have deiced to go with the DJI CrystalSky 7.85" High-Brightness Monitor instead!

Because of a handful of unconfirmed reports of the SC having less range? What about all the greater number of anecdotal reports that the SC has more range? Sorry I am not trying to be rude, I just don't understand how you came to that conclusion - so far I have seen no evidence whatsoever either from personal experience or reading on forums that the SC has a range problem.

it is known that the new smart controller is less powerful (signal) than the original controller! At least if you fly in Europe (CE) like me!Thumbswayup

Do you have an objective source for that? I can't find anything, anywhere, from a reputable source that suggests the SC is anything other than identical to the regular controller in terms of signal strength. Most anecdotal user reports say the signal is better (I am not convinced that is the case either). If there is a significant difference, the best thing to do is probably have DJI replace it.

Also you should switch to FCC mode if you can ;)

Reactions: HVYMTL
I did some tests near to my house today. I think what may be happening - as i got lost connection once 15 ft away from the bird - when you lose and reconnect to Wi-Fi network - smart controller may be losing its marbles. So best way to fly is to turn wifi off on the controller and on your phone hotspot, if you run it. As when i stepped further away from house where my router network is not visible, all issues dissipated.

Do you have an objective source for that? I can't find anything, anywhere, from a reputable source that suggests the SC is anything other than identical to the regular controller in terms of signal strength. Most anecdotal user reports say the signal is better (I am not convinced that is the case either). If there is a significant difference, the best thing to do is probably have DJI replace it.

Also you should switch to FCC mode if you can ;)

all written on Dji website, read Bro yourself !!!

Attachments

• 3CE562F4-9A85-4EE0-A83F-9B65D5E9311A.png
    3CE562F4-9A85-4EE0-A83F-9B65D5E9311A.png
    427.5 KB · Views: 88
  • CFC36143-51E5-42CA-9B08-549EE76743DB.png
    CFC36143-51E5-42CA-9B08-549EE76743DB.png
    468.5 KB · Views: 81
I haven’t flown with the standard controller so can’t comment on that, but side by side with my gen1 mav and the mav 2 with smart controller, I’m getting better range and signal with the smar controller/mav 2pro. So I’m happy with that. Would love to get to FCC though

Reactions: CanadaDrone
first time ive actually had a couple of hours to give the controller a good workout this afternoon
I am definitely getting way more range than i ever did with my mav 1. I also just flew 4 batteries to under 30% and still 40% charge on the smart controller.
End of the day, this thing is far superior than anything else in my kit.

I have nothing to gain pimping this thing, and I did get it as part of the package so a bit cheaper, but no regrets. We all make purchases (at least I have) where we think later, “that just wasn’t worth it”, but not this time.

I was at the beach this week and the only interference I have received with the smart controller is when and I flew the drone behind several buildings 1600 feet behind me. Distance wise I think the farthest I flew out was +6000 feet to see some boats. Still crystal clear. that's them on the horizon the last boat on the right.
C935BC2A-E84C-4187-A9A3-A107A167051B.pngD4492362-9E96-44CE-8172-EF9F4357E0F3.jpeg

As a sidenote it's pretty amazing the amount of wind this drone can deal with.

Okay, I have the 5.5 Crystalsky, the 7.85 and the Smart Controller. I've noticed zero problems with range or any real difference between the standard controller and the Smart Controller. I was over two miles out downtown this afternoon without any issues. Plenty of potential interference all around with tall buildings, hospitals, cell towers, etc.

What I would do if I were the OP, is make sure that your firmware is up to date by hooking it up to a computer and DJI Assistant 2. If you are on the latest firmware, then I would clear the SC and re-link it to your drone. If that fails, then I would send it back for a new one. I wouldn't bother with a warranty claim on a brand new piece of equipment. Above all else, be sure that your antennae are pointing straight down and not out. A few YouTubers have made this mistake as well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS