DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Popular Chinese-Made Drone Is Found to Have Security Weakness"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to play devil's advocate here, I doubt that they are going to be able to get your credit card details and other PI from satellite imagery - at least not unless they have significantly overtaken us in that technology.
They could have done that before .... I'm not in the slightest bit worried. Fly your drones and stay safe!

Reactions: Galeforce1
Really? Really? It is from the New York Times so the story is much less questionable. As a former journalist I must point out that we highly value the integrity of our work and our publications. There is NO secret society that sits around and decides how to write fake stories to favor some political viewpoint. The credibility of any publication is of the utmost importance. Journalist who write fake stories (and I can only think of 3 times since 1980) get fired! America's newspapers are of the greatest importance to our free society.

Ahem: JournoList - Wikipedia

Ha, Ha, Ha..... My whole network is on a VPN.
Like some using iPad mini 5 just for drone flying.
No worries. Been into Tech support for many years and I have taken internet security very seriously.
According to my network I not in the state that I live in and encrypting from one end to the other.

Ha, Ha, Ha..... My whole network is on a VPN.
Like some using iPad mini 5 just for drone flying.
No worries. Been into Tech support for many years and I have taken internet security very seriously.
According to my network I not in the state that I live in and encrypting from one end to the other.

Then I'll assume you are also using TOR browser.

I have no idea where you are going with that, but I suggest that you go no further.

Not sure why you are confused: it was directly in response to the quote that said journalists never conspire together to promote an agenda.

Not sure why you are confused: it was directly in response to the quote that said journalists never conspire together to promote an agenda.

Actually the poster you quoted said that journalists for credible publications don't invent fake stories. If you are trying to argue that they do then you need to provide some examples. The criticisms of the blog that you cited above, even disregarding their own blatant political slant and painful irony, didn't even assert that.

Reactions: lobstaman
"n two reports, the researchers contended that an app on Google’s Android operating system that powers drones made by China-based Da Jiang Innovations, or DJI, collects large amounts of personal information that could be exploited by the Beijing government. Hundreds of thousands of customers across the world use the app to pilot their rotor-powered, camera-mounted aircraft."
"
The security research firms that documented it, Synacktiv, based in France, and GRIMM, located outside Washington, found that the app not only collected information from phones but that DJI can also update it without Google reviewing the changes before they are passed on to consumers. That could violate Google’s Android developer terms of service.

The changes are also difficult for users to review, the researchers said, and even when the app appears to be closed, it awaits instructions from afar, they found.

“The phone has access to everything the drone is doing, but the information we are talking about is phone information,” said Tiphaine Romand-Latapie, a Synacktiv engineer. “We don’t see why DJI would need that data.”"

NY Times Article
Bull Poopoo!!! All apps collect data, then sell it to central databases companies and it gets used for who knows what AI scrubbing and massaging. Relax and fly safe!!!

Point A. We are rapidly entering a new cold war era where China is the bogey man, anything anti China is hot news right now as a result even if the stories are drawing a long bow. Point B I use a smart controller which is sold dedicated to my drone so no security breaches are possable.

Actually the poster you quoted said that journalists for credible publications don't invent fake stories. If you are trying to argue that they do then you need to provide some examples. The criticisms of the blog that you cited above, even disregarding their own blatant political slant and painful irony, didn't even assert that.

OK. First of all, I cited Wikipedia, not a blog. This is getting a little off topic for MavicPilots, but there are literally examples from the past week of journalists posting false stories in mainstream publications. The original comment that I replied to's idea that there has only been three false stories in the mainstream media in the last 40 years is laughable.

We could also discuss the NY Times itself, whose journalists literally received Pulitzer prizes for publishing a completely false narrative of Trump-Russian collusion in the 2016 elections.

We could go on and on about the shameful state of US (and likely global) media, but that's probably better continued on another forum.

OK. First of all, I cited Wikipedia, not a blog. This is getting a little off topic for MavicPilots, but there are literally examples from the past week of journalists posting false stories in mainstream publications. The original comment that I replied to's idea that there has only been three false stories in the mainstream media in the last 40 years is laughable.

We could also discuss the NY Times itself, whose journalists literally received Pulitzer prizes for publishing a completely false narrative of Trump-Russian collusion in the 2016 elections.

We could go on and on about the shameful state of US (and likely global) media, but that's probably better continued on another forum.

You cited a Wikipedia entry about a blog that you clearly didn't even read. As I said - you really need to stop posting this nonsense. It's political and off topic. I've reported your last post.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
You may only fly in your “boring “ area but multiply this over all users you end up with a very detailed map and possibly areas of greater interest, bridges, motorways, industry etc.

But they already have access to all of that - Google Earth, Google Maps and their own spy satellites.

Reactions: pelagic_one
No one comments on the vulnerability of your desktop/laptop using Assistant2. But then why would any reasonable person be suspicious of DJI?

Simon and Garfunkel sung it, now listen to it.

lie lie lie, lie lie lie lie lie, lie lie lie, lie lie lie!

Confucius says it’s ok for the greater good.

it’s “Who’s greater good we are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143