DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Possible Incompatibility with DJI Mavic Air 2 ?

I would assume that is the cable. As suggested a few times here plug in the original short cable to trial the connection. My IPad wouldn’t work with a new longer cable. You need the “data” type cable.

I’m having this exact same issue. The cables have worked in the past with my iPad pro and Mavic Air 2, but something changed during spring of this year. After that, none of the cables work. I’m assuming DJI changed something regarding the USB-C cables and thus promotes selling of licensed cables to make an extra profit. Really poor communication from their part on this - many of us really just want to solve the issue.

I’m assuming DJI changed something regarding the USB-C cables and thus promotes selling of licensed cables to make an extra profit. Really poor communication from their part on this - many of us really just want to solve the issue.
That assumption just doesn't add up.
USB is USB
You can buy any standard USB cable and it should work just fine.
Does DJI sell licensed cables at all?
I'm not aware of that and I've always just used cables I bought on Ebay.

Check the port and connector for any foreign material like dust, sand, grass, styrofoam or other obstructions.

Make sure you’ve plugged the cable into the correct slot in the controller. The left one - closest to the center - is an empty parking slot.

If you have a case on your phone or tablet make sure the opening around the port is large enough for the connector to be completely inserted and seated. If you’re not sure, remove the case.

Reactions: Meta4
That assumption just doesn't add up.
USB is USB
You can buy any standard USB cable and it should work just fine.
Does DJI sell licensed cables at all?
I'm not aware of that and I've always just used cables I bought on Ebay.
Apple has been able to change how they treat lightning cables from different manufacturers on the fly. The lightning and USB-C cables to my understanding have a little more data handling than just a regular "dumb" cable. Apple previously disabled the use of some cheaper cables and required the cables to be certified. I saw this on the iPhone first hand.

This is why I'm assuming DJI has been able to block out non-compatible cables. I've used iPad Pro cables before without any issues with my Mavic Air 2 controller, and I've used all of my other USB-C cables without any luck either. Also the ports are clean (and get inserted sufficiently) and I've double checked this. iPhone with the standard lightning cable works without issues though.

Will have to continue debugging. But I agree, this doesn't make a lot of sense why they'd do this, but seems like other users are also having issues.

This is why I'm assuming DJI has been able to block out non-compatible cables
If there's an issue of that kind, it's an Apple issue.
No-one else does that you-can-only-use-our-cables thing.

It's amazing, the things Apple users tolerate.

Before you guys start an anti Apple / anti-DJI tirade, ramp it back a notch. I have the same UAS and also use an iPad Pro. I have no similar issues.

I *did* have an issue once, but it was solved with a new cable. These Chinese drone cables are cheap garbage, and fail quite easily. I replaced my cable and never had another issue.

I would also recommend cleaning the ports in question. A little canned air helps, and oral-b sells little interdental brushes that are designed to clean between teeth (ouch! Who DOES that?) which work well for many issues like these.

I try to buy more expensive cables that come with warranties. Seems to have solved the problem for me.

Oh, and always keep extra cables on hand. I keep three cables for hooking up a particular drone to my USB-C ipad, and three cables for my lightning cable iPhone / iPad Mini. I have a little clearly labeled Magpul zipper pouch for each of my UAS, and keep little backup doodads in there. Cables, props, my strobes, etc…

Its the port on the controller. I have dealt with the same issue for months now. After a lot of use, the cable has to go deeper into that hole to effectively make a connection. The way its designed, the controller will only allow the cable to go in there so far. In most circumstances, it's not far enough.

Find a cable with a usbc end that is just a tiny bit longer than the others. Then it should work fine. I've spent lots of money on cables trying to find the right one, but believe it or not, the most reliable so far has been the cheapest. An ONN cable from Walmart.

You can also take a pocket knife and shave off a little of the rubber on your cable connector to allow it to go in further.

Last edited:
Here is a screen shot off of my iPad 11” Pro (2nd Gen, 2018). The iPad is running IOS 14.4.1. The system synced without any issues!(Other than a dark screen being indoors)
Have you upgraded to IOS 15.1 yet? If so, is it still working?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini