DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Possible to ‘force land’ with sensor assist

simonr23

Reactions
If I fly somewhere and want to land there- not back at ‘home’ is it possible to force it to land, with the various safeguards to make it as smooth as possible?

I basically want to fly as far as I can until signal drops and land it in a friends paddock, as I know there won’t be enough battery to get home. Plus, I’ll likely lose signal as it descends.

Thanks.

Well it might not be legal since you have to keep it in vlos but you can fly it as far as you can and as long as you cancel Rth you can land where you want. Just force the stick down and make sure you have a clear landing spot. Be aware that Obstacle avoidance will be off during landing. The downward sensors should work though

Cheers, what about once there’s a loss of signal to/from the controller? Will it continue with its last function, or just hover until it gets signal again/goes flat and crashes?

Can lichi perform a landing as part of a mission? If yes, does it use the downward sensors?

If the drone battery is above 10% when signal is lost, I believe it will attempt to return. Once it hits 10%, it will land wherever it is no matter what. You can make a waypoint mission and tell it to land at the last waypoint. But I’m not sure if it will do a landing area check. For example if for some reason it descends on a tree it might not check if the area is suitable, and it might crash. No matter what though I believe it should sense the grand so it won’t land at full speed

Ya you might want to really think this out and make **** sure all your failsafe and setting are right.. You don't want it to try to RTH and your on your way to get and it thinking it's landed because you will lose signal when she gets low and then it's stops landing and flies home but can't make it home and you lose it like so many before have.. Just a thought Bro..

That’s the entire point of this thread. One question. Can I force it to land and have it continue that function, even once it loses signal with the controller.

Any definitive yes/no answers out there?

With dji go 4, it wont keep landing with signal loss unless battery is below 10%

That’s the entire point of this thread. One question. Can I force it to land and have it continue that function, even once it loses signal with the controller.

Yes. Hover over the spot you want to land, point the camera down to verify a safe landing spot, and change the homepoint to the current location. If connection to the RC is lost it should then land at the new homepoint. This should work but is probably not a good idea.

Reactions: simonr23

Or just make sure the setting in the Go4 app when lost signal is set to Just Land.
Go into Go4 app and in the controller settings there is a Signal lost setting, Set that too land when signal from controller is lost the Mavic will land and not try and return to the home point.

Don't do that. Where it happens to lose connection might not be where you want it to land.
Also the 10% rule to land is an approximation. It could decide to land at higher or lower levels, depending on flight conditions.

If you can reach the place you wish to land while still maintaining signal, best option is to set the home point to that location while you still have signal.

I’m wanting to do a max range test(current record is 8.5km without any signal drop, but I turned back to make it home).

I’m thinking now that the best bet might just be fly as far away as signal allows, along a path that has plenty of options to land and for me to then collect it as it attempts to return to home(I’m aware of how to abort forced landings at ~10%.

Thanks guys/girls.

Or just make sure the setting in the Go4 app when lost signal is set to Just Land.
Go into Go4 app and in the controller settings there is a Signal lost setting, Set that too land when signal from controller is lost the Mavic will land and not try and return to the home point.
this is what i'd do..

I’m wanting to do a max range test(current record is 8.5km without any signal drop, but I turned back to make it home).

I’m thinking now that the best bet might just be fly as far away as signal allows, along a path that has plenty of options to land and for me to then collect it as it attempts to return to home(I’m aware of how to abort forced landings at ~10%.

Thanks guys/girls.
Dude can you do us a favour and video this effort for us to see, I love watching long range flight records, some have been real nail bitters lol. It sounds like A) you've thought about this a lot and B) you're determined to give it a go whatever.

Good luck man
Pz

Sometimes I fly in areas that I don’t want to be publicly linked to(not airports or other obviously stupid areas, but still technically ‘wrong’)... so am not keen to link my video, sorry.

Using litchi(amazing by the way) may alleviate that, or a soon to be country holiday.

Sometimes I fly in areas that I don’t want to be publicly linked to(not airports or other obviously stupid areas, but still technically ‘wrong’)... so am not keen to link my video, sorry.

Using litchi(amazing by the way) may alleviate that, or a soon to be country holiday.

Now I really want to see the video!

Lol dude fairplay. Good luck still applies. Lets us know what happens!

Thanks guys/girls.
You can't abort a forced landing, you can only fight it, and that's assuming you still have a signal.

Fight/abort, same thing in my mind :)

I’m going to do my most recent thought and just fly away until it auto returns to home- from signal loss, not battery, and then land it somewhere safe and drive to collect it. Seems the overall simplest method.

I think what you are saying is fly as far as you can until you lose signal, then as soon as you get your signal back when it begins fail safe RTH, abort RTH and land.

Abort: stop it from continuing to do or attempt to do what it is doing.
Fight: apply countermeasures to prevent it from accomplishing what it continues to try to do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661