DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Potential custom stick layout bug?

Ddperdue

Reactions
I just got my mavic a few days ago. I updated it and took it for its first flight yesterday. I had a phantom 4 briefly before selling it to get the mavic. I found I liked using a custom stick layout. I've spent enough time playing first person shooters that that stick layout is too engrained in me. It's basically just mode 3 with ascent and descent inverted.

Anyway, I set up my mavic this way but when I went to fly it all the y-axis controls were reversed from what I had set them at. Forward went backwards, Back went forwards and ascent and descent were not inverted like I had set them. I checked and checked that I had set them correctly. I tried calibrating the compass thinking maybe that was the issue. I tried it in the flight simulator and it was even messed up there too. Has anyone else run into this or would you be willing to test on your units? Using one of the preset modes works as expected. It just seems to be the custom mode.

TLDR: setting a custom stick layout causes all y-axis controls to be reversed from what you set. In flight and in simulator. Can anyone confirm?

Isn't software a wonderful thing (rolling eyes)?

I got the same issue. The work around didn't work for me though. Can't use the custom stick control as a result :(

I got the same issue. The work around didn't work for me though. Can't use the custom stick control as a result :(

Really? That's odd. So reversing the control settings from what you wanted didn't help? For example putting the backward control in the forward position and the forward control in the backward position.

I've had this same issue. I set my right stick as inverse (up is down, down is up) and the rest of the controls the same as the standard set up. After confirming and saving the setting, the up/down controls were not inverse, yet the forward/back controls were. Anyone else have this issue?

Sounds like a number of Mavic drivers have had this issue. How did you solve it? After playing with Litchi, I started having problems with both up/down and fore/aft inversion. When I swap the values, nothing changes. Yes, I do hit save after I make a change. Am I missing something?

I just got my mavic a few days ago. I updated it and took it for its first flight yesterday. I had a phantom 4 briefly before selling it to get the mavic. I found I liked using a custom stick layout. I've spent enough time playing first person shooters that that stick layout is too engrained in me. It's basically just mode 3 with ascent and descent inverted.

Anyway, I set up my mavic this way but when I went to fly it all the y-axis controls were reversed from what I had set them at. Forward went backwards, Back went forwards and ascent and descent were not inverted like I had set them. I checked and checked that I had set them correctly. I tried calibrating the compass thinking maybe that was the issue. I tried it in the flight simulator and it was even messed up there too. Has anyone else run into this or would you be willing to test on your units? Using one of the preset modes works as expected. It just seems to be the custom mode.
How did you solve this issue?

How did you solve this issue?

I'm not sure if I can say I solved it. I just set the y-axis controls opposite of what I want them to be on both sticks and it comes out the right way. Make sure to test it all out before flying too far.

I'm not sure if I can say I solved it. I just set the y-axis controls opposite of what I want them to be on both sticks and it comes out the right way. Make sure to test it all out before flying too far.
Thanks for the feedback. I reached out to the DJI customer support folks. They want me to send the RC back to them. Will post the eventual outcome

So far, the eventual outcome has been unsatisfactory. The on line folks had me uninstall and reinstall DJI GO4. That didn't work. At their request, I sent the RC back to the DJI repair facility in California. They found nothing wrong with it. I called tech support again to ask for advice and they told me to ops check the RC when it returned. Lo and behold, when I relinked the RC to the MP, I got the desired result. Unfortunately, being the inquisitive type I am, I changed the custom stick configuration and changed it back. This time the problem was back. ****. I gave tech support and unsat feedback but nobody has gotten back with me.

So far, the eventual outcome has been unsatisfactory. The on line folks had me uninstall and reinstall DJI GO4. That didn't work. At their request, I sent the RC back to the DJI repair facility in California. They found nothing wrong with it. I called tech support again to ask for advice and they told me to ops check the RC when it returned. Lo and behold, when I relinked the RC to the MP, I got the desired result. Unfortunately, being the inquisitive type I am, I changed the custom stick configuration and changed it back. This time the problem was back. ****. I gave tech support and unsat feedback but nobody has gotten back with me.

Wow, that's no fun. It really seems to me like a software issue. I wonder if anybody can confirm they use the custom layout without having this problem or if it's just a straight up bug in the custom layout settings.

Worth a shot, true, but it didn't work. I spent two hours on the phone with a DJI tech guy who concluded that the firmware will not allow us to program the right stick so that back stick produces a climb. It will do it on the left stick so I'm in the process of reprogramming my mind to think like an airplane captain (yoke in the left hand, throttle in the left)

I got a good one 2000 out 14 sat on GPS bird absolutly has a stroke starts doing the old toilet flush compass deal flips my controls backwards don't forget I'm flying blind. Then decides to ditch me and piss of the complete wrong direction from me my last comms it was 400 ft up excellent GPS yet it dropped of never to be seen again. But yeah flipped my sticks mid flight.

. If any one knows of better software that might read more gps data that would be sweet. I have tried a couple and the one said it dji go was off by about 400 yards but that where I lose it and is still up there a ways. The kicker when I jumped in my car to go get it I had the final down good landing spot so I giver I know where that is. When I was driving I lost signal the bird took off back up in the air. Sorry I didn't mention it lost its return home. Like this thing literally had a stroke. Worst part is that not the first one I've seen so this. Flown by someone else in a different location. But why the heck is there not an onboard beacon..... That works and had a very good life span like a week. I mean the beeper didn't work I mean if it loses signal like that screw turning it on it's automatic beeper the GPS was completely off in left field.as I was saying earlier I basically old schooled it with the remote trying to pick up signal. Common dji you got all the effort into letting Ceiling levels but you can't fix your gps problem. 1000 dollar drone equals good parts not go to AliExpress and bulk order the absolute cheapest piece of junk gps modules you can find. Like I have all my gear for the mavic but I think you guys are getting to much revenue out of these fly aways so why fix it. I'm sorry personal opinion but the ceiling limit sucks a actual bird has just as much of a chance at hitting a plane as a drone. No common sense left in the world. Wrap it in bubble wrap and kick it down the stairs oh one more thing if a guy had a fly away the minimum you could do is give him a discount on a replacement even say 50 percent off a refurbished. Inbox me id love to get flying again

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21