DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Power From Wall Outlet

Flipsonic

Reactions
Just received my MA yesterday and haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. Is there a way to use a wall outlet as power source for the quad instead of the battery? It would be nice to do all the settings without using up a battery. I just wanted to adjust all settings then go out flying with my 4 batteries fully charged.

Just received my MA yesterday and haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. Is there a way to use a wall outlet as power source for the quad instead of the battery? It would be nice to do all the settings without using up a battery. I just wanted to adjust all settings then go out flying with my 4 batteries fully charged.
not really

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks. Would be nice if DJI can make this possible - Use the battery charger to power the quad.
Doesn't really make sense - because you can't & wouldn't want to fly the drone connected to a mains socket.
Charge all of your batteries - and then use one to do your settings. If you don't power the motors on - then the power drain will be a whole lot lower. So you'll find that you can do an hour working on your settings, and then just put your battery in the charger to get it back up to scratch.

Who would be stupid enough to fly while connected to a wall socket? I still think it has advantages. Today I was in a hurry to leave and had already charged all 4 batteries. But I wanted to change last minute settings just before I left so I won’t have to while at launch site. I had to use one of the batteries to do this. Then I had to wait and charge that battery again to 100%. I don’t like launching with less than 100%. Would have been nice to plug it to the charger instead while changing settings.

Who would be stupid enough to fly while connected to a wall socket? I still think it has advantages. Today I was in a hurry to leave and had already charged all 4 batteries. But I wanted to change last minute settings just before I left so I won’t have to while at launch site. I had to use one of the batteries to do this. Then I had to wait and charge that battery again to 100%. I don’t like launching with less than 100%. Would have been nice to plug it to the charger instead while changing settings.
How much drain was there on the battery when you were done and how long did it take you to recharge it?

Perhaps getting another battery is a more realistic solution?

I sympathize (or is it empathize?) .... and I too don't like taking off with anything less than 100% on the battery indicator. And I too have been in situations where I wanted to make a few changes in the settings before heading out. Since doing that and then recharging the battery back to 100% takes an awfully long time (yeah getting a battery from 98% to 100% can take 15 -20 minutes), I make a note of the settings I want to change and head out. Once I am on site and have fired up the AC and remote, I do these changes first thing. Doesn't take more than a few seconds, and I usually review my RTH altitude, review the sensors state, and do some camera adjustments before take off anyway; so just add it to that list of things to do and just head out.

How much drain was there on the battery when you were done and how long did it take you to recharge it?

Perhaps getting another battery is a more realistic solution?

Went down to 95% and took about 20 mins to get it back to 100%. I already have 4 batteries. Don’t need to spend another $80 for a 5th one.

Went down to 95% and took about 20 mins to get it back to 100%. I already have 4 batteries. Don’t need to spend another $80 for a 5th one.
Sounds like a lengthy update.

The device you seek must exist. I cannot imagine DJI techs relying on batteries.

Not stupid at all they make tethers for some AirCraft and it would be nice to just to plug her in while at the pc to update and such.. But People would leave ti on all the time or something crazy that would harm it in some way.

I have an interesting potential application for a drone where maintaining constant power from a wall outlet would be essential. I'm exploring developing a drone specifically for security/surveillance purposes that would need to remain airborne and monitoring for extended periods of time without interruption.

Rather than relying on swappable batteries that would require the drone to land periodically for charging, I'm considering a design that could receive power continuously from a wall outlet via a lightweight, durable cable. This would allow the drone to stay charged and operational without stopping for hours or even days at a time.

Of course, safety would be a top priority in such a design. The cable would need to be carefully implemented to avoid tangling or other hazards while in flight. There may even be options like an automatic retractable cable reel.

I'm curious if anyone has explored similar applications or has thoughts on the technical challenges involved. My goal is a drone that could offer persistent aerial security/monitoring without limitations on flight time due to battery life. Maintaining a constant power source seems like it could enable this, but I want to be sure any design adequately addresses safety.

Please share any insights, ideas or warnings you may have as I start research and development on this project. Your expertise in drone technology would be invaluable.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and discussion. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Sure you can Just plug in the drone to a power source open up your monitor make your changes and unplug your ready to go full battery. I do it all the time.

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3