DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Power lines and the cosmic vortex?

A.O.

Reactions
Strange thread name but thats how I get you to look.

So, question.. I have a set of high power lines going through my property, no not sure of the voltage. It the "trunk line"? for the household power in the area mostly rural.
Do power lines like this effect my drone flying in any way? I know the obvious part about running into them but do they disrupt the radio waves or anything like that if I were to fly under them or around them or anything?

Thanks

Strange thread name but thats how I get you to look.

So, question.. I have a set of high power lines going through my property, no not sure of the voltage. It the "trunk line"? for the household power in the area mostly rural.
Do power lines like this effect my drone flying in any way? I know the obvious part about running into them but do they disrupt the radio waves or anything like that if I were to fly under them or around them or anything?

Thanks
Just don’t hit them with the drone.

I suspect that if you fly close enough to them they could interfere with the signal the drone receives and sends. To what extent I think would depend on how strong the electro magnetic frequencies are based on the location of your drone and/or controller. I would also have to wonder how much cell phone towers might interfere?

for me powerlines , of any size are no different to the drone flyers other number one enemy
trees, i treat them with the same cautionary respect, as neither of them play well with any drone

No. The frequency in the US will be 60 Hz. No where close to the 2.4 and 5.8 giga Hz the drones use. We have a nuclear power plant nearby and the transmission lines run through the salt marsh in several directions. I have flown over these transmission lines with no issues.
Cool, good to know.

for me powerlines , of any size are no different to the drone flyers other number one enemy
trees, i treat them with the same cautionary respect, as neither of them play well with any drone
Oh, I'm doing my best to learn to fly through the trees instead of over them all the time!

Agreed, and I think the biggest problem is that sometimes you can’t see the wires in video feed which could lead to drone bar-b-que.

Reactions: RMS001 and A.O.
Agreed, and I think the biggest problem is that sometimes you can’t see the wires in video feed which could lead to drone bar-b-que.
Almost impossible to cross the phases and get a ground (essential to current flow... why birds can sit on the wires). Ground would be required for current flown to burn up a drone, but the wires are essentially immovable objects that will wreck your drone if there is a strike.
... worked my way through high school and college working in the field for Houston Power & Light.

Just don’t hit them with the drone.

So power lines , above or below your fine to fly past them , but those gray canister things on the poles can cause some serious interference so stay away, I have had those cause me to spin into atti mode and that is never fun.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the storm.

So power lines , above or below your fine to fly past them , but those gray canister things on the poles can cause some serious interference so stay away, I have had those cause me to spin into atti mode and that is never fun.

Phantomrain.org
Yeah... transformers. Also beware of those array of 5-6 rectangular boxes....those are capacitors and will make you bird unhappy.

Phantomrain.org

No they don’t. Mains power at 60 or 50Hz does not interfere with your aircraft or remote controller communications or aircraft stability.

Reactions: Mavic 57
In the U.S., where OP is located, the lines are at 120Hz and the larger the voltage the larger the magnetic field.
So then does that magnetic field mess with my flying if I get too close?

So then does that magnetic field mess with my flying if I get too close?
Dunno....,never actually tested it. On the distribution circuits above ground I have always been about 100’ away from transformers and capacitors, but no problems with those lines as close as 5-10’. On the 10000v and up distribution lines I have always been at least 150’ away.

So I have a circuit that runs around the property and I was following my daughter running and saw her fall (see vid below) but she was below these power lines and I was afraid to go down for a closer inspection.. part of why I'm asking. And yes she is fine, but I was about to get in my truck to go get her but she got up and started running again.

Power lines, telephone lines, communication lines, clothes lines or any other lines or wires suspended above ground level is always a threat to our drones ;)

I say cut them all ......... just kidding ?

This Spark Pilot had no issues when he flew through them.

1610852944414.png

Just don't let this happen. :D

1610853104395.png

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Rick