DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Practice, practice, practice.

I was reminded this weekend, when a fellow came up and ask, is this your maiden flight? I responded that each flight is a new experience, a maiden of sorts. With a pre flight check, route plan, aware of weather conditions and surroundings, each flight is a learning. Awareness, and each flight improves my skills. When I drive home with my MA safe, and only battery recharge to prepare for the next adventure. It is a good maiden :) Enjoy your safe flying.

Reactions: Kevjones777
Agreed but learn to fly as much as you can in Atti mode ... if you are good at it in this mode then you won’t get any surprises should GPS mode fail for whatever reason. Atti mode is more fun anyway... you actually have to pilot the drone ... GPS mode is a luxury that does most things for you.
Air and Pro have no attitude mode...
This is why I love to fly the P4 in ATTI mode..

Right if you would like an example of a flight proficiency test. This is more or less what you would need to practise and be tested on. You would also need to complete a theory exam if you wanted a commercial licence. However I believe all pilots should be able to at least fly these patterns competently. Go practise these and become a better pilot. View attachment 34446 View attachment 34447 View attachment 34448 View attachment 34449 View attachment 34449 View attachment 34451
What a useful post. I took delivery of my MPP a few weeks ago and, having been a helicopter instructor pilot in the military, I decided to develop my own practice patterns (see below). I wish I had seen these practice exercises right away. When/if the wind dies down today, I'm going to give these patterns a try. Thanks so much.

If you don't mind, here are some exercises I've been using. They require DJI Goggles and a large, flat field. I don't do them all at once. I do one or two exercises everytime I go out to fly and before taking videos. If I get a chance today tho', I'm gonna burn through my 3 batteries on these other exercises.

The following exercises are all done in ATTI mode with DJI goggles.

1. Shoot a number of normal (12 degree) and steep (18 degrees) approaches and take-offs at different speeds (I use slow and slower). These approaches are not necessary (or even useful) for quads. However, this exercise good for getting familiar with, controlling the quad with both sticks simultaneously. I've also found it helpful to develop perspective with the goggles. For example, before I started this practice, I felt it necessary to take off the goggles to land. No more.

2. Practice climbing and descending turns. Work at maintaining constant speed and elevation change. I've been trying to do spiral-up then spiral-down patterns, i.e., flying forward while making ascending/descending right/left turns. Do these over the landing pad.

"Trying" is the operative word. This is really difficult for me and I wish I had never dreamed it up.

Timed flights (works best in calm conditions - I mean no wind, nada, zip, zero). Timed flights are not particularly difficult but I don't think there's a better way of building confidence in your ability and familiarity with your quad.

4. Fly a square traffic pattern with timed legs (e.g., 30 seconds per leg). Success is when you can regularly return to your takeoff point and be less than a couple of yards off. I fly this one at about 10 feet AGL and come to a dead-still hover at each corner. My biggest difficulty is maintaining a constant airspeed. Gets me every time.

5. The right triangle (did I say no wind). Place a marker at your takeoff point.
(a) Hover to 10 feet. Turn to 180 degrees then fly to your 30 yard marker and come to a hover. This is leg 1.
(b) Turn to a heading of 270 degrees and fly to the next marker (at 40 yards from the first) and come to a hover. This is leg 2
(c) Turn to a heading of 53 degrees. You should be pointed directly at the starting point marker. Fly to the starting point. This is leg 3

Repeat steps (a), (b), and (c) a few times timing each leg. Now, remove the markers for legs 1 and 2 and fly the pattern using the average times of each leg. I've not had much opportunity to do this exercise as the wind here in Montana is seldom dead calm. On the two occasions I've tried it I've not been very successful. But, I've gotten marginally better each time I flew the pattern.

Thanks again for the exercises.

At least you are having a go at using some of the advanced stuff with image-gathering.
My mate has his bird set at all automatic defaults, the dreaded Automatic Focus, the AWB, no filters to correct flaring and contrast, he does not know or care what a Histogram is.
Consequently his videos are only a fraction as good as they could be if he was arsed enough to have a try at making his own settings.
Only by mistakes do we learn.

Right if you would like an example of a flight proficiency test. This is more or less what you would need to practise and be tested on. You would also need to complete a theory exam if you wanted a commercial licence. However I believe all pilots should be able to at least fly these patterns competently. Go practise these and become a better pilot. View attachment 34446 View attachment 34447 View attachment 34448 View attachment 34449 View attachment 34449 View attachment 34451

I took the liberty of combining 6 pages these into a PDF. Hope that is OK.

Where can you get the full pdf for all 20 pages of flight proficiency?

Looks like a full doc, with different diagrams, is at https://www.samaa.org.za/docs/info_H5rspoRXJy4C6hG.pdf

Attachments

• drone_flight_proficiency_patterns.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: Kevjones777
Air and Pro have no attitude mode

Apparently there is a way to give the MP (MPP?) ATTI mode, I am not going to try it with my MPP, I am not willing to risk it to learn. I KNOW that learning on another craft won't react the same as the MPP but I expect to fly the Hubsan H501S an awful lot in ATTI mode. Hopefully the experience will help should the need arise.

I DO ALWAYS (yes I know always and never) but I always check Kp, wind speed, wind gust and direction at ground and at 250'. I use these apps; Weather Bug, UAV Forecast and Ventusky.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpartyBuckeye
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa