DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I had my first atti mode experience!!

YES!! It's so simple and quick to do, why NOT do it for each flight! I will do it for every flight location change. Will not do it for repeat flights at the same location.

Because if your calibration already works why introduce the risk of a mis calbration either due to a software or hardware glitch or something like a buried cable or unknown source of interference? The risk is small but each time you do it you increase the chances of it going wrong.
Also if you routinely launch from a boat or similar then calibration would be a sure fire way to crash if you try calibrating on there.

Because if your calibration already works why introduce the risk of a mis calbration either due to a software or hardware glitch or something like a buried cable or unknown source of interference? The risk is small but each time you do it you increase the chances of it going wrong.
Also if you routinely launch from a boat or similar then calibration would be a sure fire way to crash if you try calibrating on there.
387 flights and NO issues of any type, hardware or software. The compass will either calibrate, or it won't. And if it WON'T .. it's because of some sort of magnetic interference. I move to another area close by .. and it calibrates. There is nothing to fear with compass calibration.

Except its perfectly possible to calibrate incorrectly depending on exactly what interference is present in the same way its perfectly possible to have a compass pointing away from magnetic north in a local area. 387 flights with no issues doesnt mean it cant happen on flight 388, 389 or 500. Quite simply, you gain nothing by doing it and each time run a slight but present risk of it nor working so why bother? And again, good luck trying to get a decent calibration on something like a boat or other platform surrounded by metal work, wires, radio transmitters, motors and other sources of EMI.

Its been my habit to do a compass calibration each time I go out and fly my MP. Other people are saying to only do it when the app asks you to. When I first got my drone, I watched bunch of videos and followed one guy’s channel and his advise is to do it everytime. I’ve never had any problem so far (knock on wood).
same every flight I do so also

foil over the back of the MP to force it in atti mode

I am new to drones (November '17) I have been concentrating on emergency procedures / recovery with some (lot) of fun thrown in. I have NO experience with ATTI mode and should the need ever arise I want to at least understand what it is like

I don't want to use my MPP to learn to fly in ATTI mode. Any thoughts on quad's that would be good learning tools would be appreciated.

Larry

Hubsan makes good durable drones that will get you used to ATTI mode. In the $100 range or less. Get one with altitude hold if possible.

Good learning experience, but keep in mind they are much harder to fly than the Mavic.

BTW - you can set your Mavic up to access ATTI mode via the sport mode switch. It's not for the faint of heart though.
How to Get Atti Mode on Your Mavic Pro - Drone U™

With respect, I do not understand why people fly these drones if they can't handle ATTI mode. To me it was a no brainer to get a cheap (100$) drone and learn how to actually fly these things, manually correcting height, yaw, roll and pitch on the go in windy conditions. In my opinion knowing fundamental flying basics (sort of equals to flying ATTI, but even ATTI is easier since it usually holds attitude) is a given before flying drones where there might be other people around (within a few hundred yards). Do people disagree with this statement? I just get a bit annoyed when I read about people crashing or losing control because the drone entered ATTI mode.. It's still flying!! Its not like the drone is falling out of the sky, its just the "autopilot" that got disengaged, and you have to fly it yourself for a change...

=) No pun intended, and let me know if this was uncalled for. This is not ment specifically for the person(s) in this thread. I believe we would have a lot less crashes, accidents and scary situations with potential injury if all drone pilots knew how to fly their drones...

I wouldn't say the situation is as simple as that, it's perhaps more a problem with earlier Mavic firmwares but there were people who were experienced flying drones that crashed when the Mavic went into ATTI mode and reported it didn't respond normally going into an uncontrollable drift. I haven't had that happen to me so can't confirm it or not.

The second issue is that the ATTI mode change can happen unexpectedly and if the drone is a long way out of sight it can quickly drift without the operator realising and ends up crashing or if the drone is on the edge of signal reception, it can end up just outside of it with no RTH ability to be able to get back.

Also on the flip side, the Mavic Pro is my first and only drone and I've had it drop into ATTI mode suddenly when it was in good GPS reception. However I knew this could happen and what the consequences were so I was able to fly it back and land it in one piece. (no sign of the control issues some have mentioned)

In such cases it shall be possible to do an emmergency compass calibration by simply turning the Mavic around its yaw axis for a few times. Then it should re-enter GPS mode. Didn't test it yet as my Mavic never has fallen into Atti mode.

Can anyone confirm this? So you are saying you can do an emergency calibration in the air when the compass fails and goes into Atii mode?

I am new to drones (November '17) I have been concentrating on emergency procedures / recovery with some (lot) of fun thrown in. I have NO experience with ATTI mode and should the need ever arise I want to at least understand what it is like

I don't want to use my MPP to learn to fly in ATTI mode. Any thoughts on quad's that would be good learning tools would be appreciated.

Larry

I bought one of those 50 syma drones to learn to fly with.
https://www.amazon.com/Syma-2-4G-Camera-Quadcopter-2-0MP/dp/B00MNG37C2

Reactions: Turn11
I wouldn't say the situation is as simple as that, it's perhaps more a problem with earlier Mavic firmwares but there were people who were experienced flying drones that crashed when the Mavic went into ATTI mode and reported it didn't respond normally going into an uncontrollable drift. I haven't had that happen to me so can't confirm it or not.

The second issue is that the ATTI mode change can happen unexpectedly and if the drone is a long way out of sight it can quickly drift without the operator realising and ends up crashing or if the drone is on the edge of signal reception, it can end up just outside of it with no RTH ability to be able to get back.

Also on the flip side, the Mavic Pro is my first and only drone and I've had it drop into ATTI mode suddenly when it was in good GPS reception. However I knew this could happen and what the consequences were so I was able to fly it back and land it in one piece. (no sign of the control issues some have mentioned)

I hear what you are saying, and I totally agree with what you are saying; several times when the Mavic goes into ATTI mode, it is 1) surprising and 2) it never should have happened. It happened to me 2-3 times on a flight a few weeks back and I do agree it is a bit scary when it happens all of a sudden. Why whould it happen 300 ft up in the sky where there should be no compass interference?). It did result in me spending a bit more time with my trustworthy Hubsan X4 to increase my operator skills (which I recommend everybody to do, and that was my intention with these posts).

Happy flying everyone!

If the compass is pointing to the right direction in the map I see no point on doing a calibration, simple as that.

Mavic Pro is my first and only drone and I've

yet to experience any abnormalities. I have done some emergency recover training hopefully it will help when the unexpected happens. I don't want to modify my MPP to enable ATTItude (ATTI) mode. I will buy a drone with the ability to fly ATTI and see what it is like. Looking at a Hubsan X4 H502S Desire or a HUBSAN H501S X4.

Larry
If you can handle the worst case, the rest is a piece of cake.

Last edited:
Hubsan X4 is a great little drone to learn! You might want to invest in a second battery as the flight time is rather low (9-10 minutes in my experience). But besides that, great drone!

It might be a no brainier to you but it surely isn't written in the manual to put tin foil over the back of the MP to force it in atti mode so you can learn how to fly...
Which is why I say the mavic (air or pro) isn't a beginners drone at all. You have to learn how to fly BEFORE you get one. You will never learn to fly if you start with a Mavic. You only learn how to control software.

If the compass is pointing to the right direction in the map I see no point on doing a calibration, simple as that.
And even then, I first would go to another location because why would it suddenly need a calibration?
A good calibration is a good calibration, unless you traveled hundreds of miles (in which case it would only fly is a very slight curve instead of a straight line, not really an emergency, just land and calibrate), or if you carried you mavic near a speaker or subwoofer in the trunk of you car (that throws off the calibration definitely).

But checking the compass on the map could be good pre launch indication that either the spot is wrong OR it indeed needs a calibration.

Reactions: Anterialis
Lake_Flyer: I believe that response by jaysrmc was meant for me, but we clearly share opinions on the matter.
Yeah we do!

4-5 years ago already DJI had short commercial clips showing a father handing the controls of his Phantom 1 or 2 to his little daughter. See, anyone can fly a DJI drone! And they never changed.

Reactions: Anterialis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat