DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pre-order and Shipping Times - Who Will Get the Mavic First?

if anyone here is new to drones. the mavic controller and the mavic itself use lipo batteries. always let these cool after use because most likely they will be warm or hot. charging one that is hot could possibly cause it to catch fire and if it doesn't cause a fire and charges fine it will seem fine, but that reduces the battery life a lot. i made a lot of mistakes with lipos when i first started, like discharging them below 3 volts and i couldn't charge it anymore and i wasn't going to do the dangerous things others do to bring it back to life. treat your lipos with care and please buy a lipo safe bag. you don't have to and these smart batteries are much much safer than regular lipo batteries but id still suggest it. lipos can be unpredictable. you don't need a bag if you feel safe and dji batteries are excellent and control themselves basically, just be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Good advice for newbies. I would add that many of the cheap lipo bags online do not do much in the event of fire. Personally, I bypassed the bags and just use .50 cal ammo cans. Drill a 1/2" hole on each side to vent just in case. You can drill one out so that you can charge it when closed but I don't leave mine unattended when charging. If you're super paranoid like me, you can build a battery bunker and affix a bag of play sand to the lid. In the event of fire the bag melts, dumping the sand on the fire. Lipo fires are not easy to extinguish.

Reactions: devinrhall
Good advice for newbies. I would add that many of the cheap lipo bags online do not do much in the event of fire. Personally, I bypassed the bags and just use .50 cal ammo cans. Drill a 1/2" hole on each side to vent just in case. You can drill one out so that you can charge it when closed but I don't leave mine unattended when charging. If you're super paranoid like me, you can build a battery bunker and affix a bag of play sand to the lid. In the event of fire the bag melts, dumping the sand on the fire. Lipo fires are not easy to extinguish.

lol i actually like the ammo can idea. i've tested the bags i buy and they wo i well and will look for a link but yeah an ammo can would work well. and sand is a great thing for extinguishing lipo fire. i think salt works also but i'm not sure so don't listen to that without looking it up. and even if it does it'd take a lot of salt. my uncle has some ammo cans from vietnam but he made them into living room tables lol. good idea though, i know you can order them. i personally will leave them unsupervised while charging for short periods of time but it's good to be in the area. having a sand pit is an excellent thing if something bad every happens. if you have a garage and the temp can stay around the same or anywhere else you can have a sand pit, it would be a good safety tool to have just in case and have smoke alarms. again, these fires don't happen often, it's usually do to neglect and improper charging and things like that. if you're new, don't be worried, read up on lipos. they're usually very safe as long as you do what you're supposed to. accidents happen when you are negligent.

Reactions: Ed209
lol i actually like the ammo can idea. i've tested the bags i buy and they wo i well and will look for a link but yeah an ammo can would work well. and sand is a great thing for extinguishing lipo fire. i think salt works also but i'm not sure so don't listen to that without looking it up. and even if it does it'd take a lot of salt. my uncle has some ammo cans from vietnam but he made them into living room tables lol. good idea though, i know you can order them. i personally will leave them unsupervised while charging for short periods of time but it's good to be in the area. having a sand pit is an excellent thing if something bad every happens. if you have a garage and the temp can stay around the same or anywhere else you can have a sand pit, it would be a good safety tool to have just in case and have smoke alarms. again, these fires don't happen often, it's usually do to neglect and improper charging and things like that. if you're new, don't be worried, read up on lipos. they're usually very safe as long as you do what you're supposed to. accidents happen when you are negligent.

Yeah I wouldn't sacrifice some Vietnam souvenirs for lipo bunkers lol! You can get them at any gun/surplus store or even Amazon. Here's a very informative video...This gave me the idea...I just make a small bunker with 4 cinder blocks and the lid is cement board.

Reactions: ABRsanta
I received information from Heli-direct that their October orders would be arriving November 16th. They only offer economy shipping via their Amazon store but I am glad I ordered with Amazon because of their customer service.

I think DJI needs to hire someone like Tim Cook or another supply chain genius. The reason apple has been so successful in the release of their products has been because of their ability to create a fast acting supply chain and manufacturing operation.

I think DJI needs to hire someone like Tim Cook or another supply chain genius. The reason apple has been so successful in the release of their products has been because of their ability to create a fast acting supply chain and manufacturing operation.
Otherwise know as making an entire supply chain so utterly dependent on you that they'll do anything that Apple asks because without them suppliers would go bankrupt. But I digress.

Last edited:
To close out my participation in this topic since I got my box today, a quick report and a reason to maybe not feel as bad about the wait... Two flights with my new Mavic today and overall I love it -- from the Phantom 3 Pro it's like going from a Mazda 6 to a Miata.

But.. On my second flight, I had it recording in Tripod mode, and the iOS app disconnected. Didn't want to experiment too much with trying to figure out how to cancel tripod mode with just the controller, so I landed it very slowly and got it down safe. (Flies like a dream.)

The moral of the story is: While it's frustrating not to have your new drone, there's a benefit to letting some time pass and letting DJI fully debug based on the experiences of early deliveries. Just wanted to mention that in case it lessens the pain a little. I'm going to be pretty conservative with how I fly it after that disconnect. (It still responded fine to the remote, the app just wasn't talking to the remote.)

Reactions: Smallz

Are you kidding me, Apple is terrible at having product launches and having inventory, I am sure they intentionally hype the launch only to have very limited inventory. They have had crazy supply chain issues. However This creates media attention (all though some times Bad) yet most people end up pre ordering only to wait a month or more to get their new hyped up gadget. They are On Iphone 7+ and I have been waiting for my phone for over 1 month now. You would think they would have enough at launch after all these years. Maybe this is just a great strategy to create buzz.

Are you kidding me, Apple is terrible at having product launches and having inventory, I am sure they intentionally hype the launch only to have very limited inventory. They have had crazy supply chain issues. However This creates media attention (all though some times Bad) yet most people end up pre ordering only to wait a month or more to get their new hyped up gadget. They are On Iphone 7+ and I have been waiting for my phone for over 1 month now. You would think they would have enough at launch after all these years. Maybe this is just a great strategy to create buzz.

Yup dude. Ordered my 7 plus jet black early on opening day. Apparently I will finally get it next week. Was hoping the Mavic would show up about the same time, but I dunno.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm waiting on a series 2 Apple Watch, since 10/15. Thinking my mavic my come first and it was ordered at the same time.

It is all perspective, As bad as this may seem DJI is not doing anything that Apple has not done a dozen times or more. This is the Apple model

Yeah I wouldn't sacrifice some Vietnam souvenirs for lipo bunkers lol! You can get them at any gun/surplus store or even Amazon. Here's a very informative video...This gave me the idea...I just make a small bunker with 4 cinder blocks and the lid is cement board.

yeah cinder blocks work well. i've seen these bunkers on flite test on youtube which is a very good channel. my uncle will never give up his vietnam cans lol. honestly i think the dji batteries are much much safer. i have been using old school racers with the regular lipo batteries which are most dangerous. that is why i cant wait for a mavic. my racers take about ten mins to set up. i have to velcro a camera on to record, the battery, a voltage beeper, and whatever else, i cant remember because since i ordered the mavic i've just been waiting on it. i cant wait to fly something that is an all-in-one unit that i can just stick a battery in and use. these quads i have just take too much to set up and when you crash them everything goes flying. i had to search for my möbius camera once for almost an hour until i found it.

I think at least apple gives you a time frame on when to expect your item. I'd say 99% of time they are right. Dji on the other hand hasn't given anything.

Reactions: captainserial
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet