DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pre-Purchase Question About Mavic and No Fly Zones

PumpinIron

Reactions
I'm about to pull the trigger on a DJI Mavic Pro Platinum. I've been doing a lot of research (coming from RC planes), and I've found that around my house, there is a giant no fly zone.

This is due to the fact that there are a large number of correctional facilities in this city, and an airport. However, all of these are quite a ways from my home which is on the other side of the river, and well outside the range of a Mavic.

Here's an idea of what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 7.58.14 PM.png

You can see my marker on the map where my house is. To the West there is nothing but good flying. However, if I even go a little to the East, I encounter that gigantic yellow colored circle which seems to be a combination of all those no fly zones.

My question is this:

Will a Mavic even let me go anywhere into that yellow area, or will it immediately stop me from crossing the boundary and return home?

I'm a bit disappointed if it does, since I have no intention of crossing that river. There are a lot of cool scenic areas around that river though that I'd like to be able to fly over without being shut down.

I just don't know how this whole thing works with these no fly zones, as my planes don't have any automated software that controls where I fly them.

Thanks in advance!

No one? Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum. If so, I apologize, as I wasn't 100% certain which forum it should go in.

Mate, I;m not in your country, however we have the same type of 'boundaries'.
With us, its the red zones that are NFZ.
The other larger zones, for us, allow flying within the rules, maintaining a look out for manned aircraft, and avoid and land if you encounter one.
I'll find a picture of our app for you.
Untitled.jpg

Reactions: PumpinIron
If it's a NFZ, it's not going to go into it. If it does somehow go into it via some discrepancy that it later detects, it may simply land.

The only NFZs in your screen grab are the red circles. The green is a warning zone. You can even fly in the yellow inner ring if you tell the DJI app you’ll be a good boy.

Last edited:
Reactions: youngie123
The only NFZs in your screen grab are the red circles. The green is a warning zone.

Thanks for confirming this. I thought maybe that was the case, but just wanted to make sure.

I'd hate to buy one of these and not be able to fly anywhere around my house.

Just ordered one up, so thanks again!

Reactions: Mr. Salty
I don't see any no fly zones near your house, if your house is the dot on the far west side. There are a crap ton of airports and helipads around you though.

Personally, I wouldn't be calling all of them just to fly around my house, but that is what you are supposed to do.

South of Salem is a National Refuge that is no fly, but nothing closer.

Reactions: PumpinIron
I live well inside one of the light green outer rings and the only issue I have is that I get a warning pop up on the screen and sometimes (but not always) I have to press a 'Confirm' button to say I realise I have to fly with extra care in this location. I have been up over 200' and at a distance where the aircraft was at the very limits of LOS. Before I bought the Mavic I felt the same as you and was convinced that one of the first things I would do is to roll back the firmware to a version that did not have so much geo-fencing but since I have got my aircraft I have not really given it a second thought.

I might possibly change my mind as it is early days with the Mavic and I am not sure if we are able to go over 400' - we are not supposed to anyway. However when I had my first gen Phantom Vision there was much less regulation and advice around and I did get a real thrill when I went above 3000' feet one day. However that was when we had ATTI mode on a switch so it was easy to find out if there were high winds at altitude. Now with the Mavic we can't do that so if by any chance there are strong winds high up there is a chance to be overpowered and have a potential problem.

The only NFZs in your screen grab are the red circles.

What Mr. Salty said is spot on. Here is the reference to the information below.

NFZ - No Fly Zones

Warning Zones. (light green) In these Zones, which may not necessarily appear on the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning message.

Example Warning Zone: A protected wildlife area.

Enhanced Warning Zones. (little darker green) In these Zones, you will be prompted by GEO at the time of flight to unlock the zone using the same

Steps as in an Authorization Zone, but you do not require a verified account or an internet connection at the time of your flight.

Example Enhanced Warning Zone: A farm which is 3 miles away from a busy international airport.

Authorization Zones. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by

default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.

Example Authorization Zone: Model aircraft flying club near an airport.

Restricted Zones. In these Zones, which appear red the DJI GO app, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is prevented. If you believe

you have authorization to operate in a Restricted Zone, please contact [email protected]

Example Restricted Zone: Washington D.C.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54