DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Precision landing (lack of).

I hand launch and catch in that case, can be done anywhere.
I have done a couple of hand launches but don't really like doing them in case I drop the drone. Hand launching from my balcony would definitely be a big risk for me!

The thing is that it is very nice to fly from your own home... I would like to have precision landing to clear the trees. If my big drone has it why not my Mini 2 and that is what this thread is about!
Yep ... and I recon that what you really want to see is that it's some way to actually get it on the Mini2 also.

But every thing boils down to that you have the wrong tool for the purpose, without DJI themselves joining in it will be very hard to definitely know why. Maybe it processing power, or inferior HW compared to the larger Mavics, or SW related ... or a combination of all. The only thing we can be sure of is that DJI have left this feature out on purpose to reach other objectives with the Mini2 setup.

Let's face it ... every time DJI have released a low priced model all forums have been filled with question marks & wishes about features missing that the more expensive models have ... combining all those wishes & you end up with a Mavic 2 Pro which is 4 times lighter & smaller for a third of the price... imagine that creating a scenario which mean that a cheaper model risk cannibalizing on the top models isn't a good business strategy.

Yep ... and I recon that what you really want to see is that it's some way to actually get it on the Mini2 also.

But every thing boils down to that you have the wrong tool for the purpose, without DJI themselves joining in it will be very hard to definitely know why. Maybe it processing power, or inferior HW compared to the larger Mavics, or SW related ... or a combination of all. The only thing we can be sure of is that DJI have left this feature out on purpose to reach other objectives with the Mini2 setup.

Let's face it ... every time DJI have released a low priced model all forums have been filled with question marks & wishes about features missing that the more expensive models have ... combining all those wishes & you end up with a Mavic 2 Pro which is 4 times lighter & smaller for a third of the price... imagine that creating a scenario which mean that a cheaper model risk cannibalizing on the top models isn't a good business strategy.
I am sure that you are correct! Thanks.

I am sure that you are correct! Thanks.
? I wouldn't count on that, it's pure speculative ...

Think the easiest solution in your situation is to use your M2Z when flying from home.

? I wouldn't count on that, it's pure speculative ...

Think the easiest solution in your situation is to use your M2Z when flying from home.
I have just sold my M2Z to a young Swedish lad who turned up in a camper van! So now I only have the Mini 2. I think the future is in small drones. Too many rules and regulations coming out regarding the bigger/heavier models! I may purchase the Hubsan Zino Mini Pro around Christmas time if it proves to be reliable over the next few months. According to the specs. it will have precision landing in a future update!?

yes my mini 2 also lads on and of my landing pad. But for most part i have gotten good on calculating the time i need to return home. I do only manually now. Just take practice. I have flown my mini2 now for 100+km.
RTH function on tis drone will always be wacky since it has only bottom sensors. and according to manuals, optimal distance from ground to drone is up to 30m. And still is anding way off. From all the times i tried, i have managed only land within 1m of my landing pad was 20m reh hight and right after calibrations.

Agree with the previous poster, either lack of processing power or a marketing strategy.

Furthermore, a civil GPS receiver usually is accurate to within a 10-30ft radius, so your stated 6ft is actually really good ... but what the GPS will achieve in real life applications is highly dependent on the environment. Factors like satellite geometry, signal blockage (trees, buildings shielding the sky), atmospheric conditions, and receiver design features/quality will affect how close a drone will return to the recorded HP.
The precision landing relies on GPS but the final landing approach matches an image that was taken during take off. My Mavic2pro on landing aligns itself as it's descending to precision land.

The precision landing relies on GPS but the final landing approach matches an image that was taken during take off. My Mavic2pro on landing aligns itself as it's descending to precision land.
My M2Z was the same. It landed with an inch of where it took off from but not the Mini 2?

Reactions: Mavic 57
Yeah ... that's for a M2P, if ripping out the precision landing feature from it, it would at best be accurate to a 10-30ft radius as that is what you can expect from a civil GPS receiver ... & it's that GPS accuracy a Mini2 rely on for a RTH landing.

Yeah ... that's for a M2P, if ripping out the precision landing feature from it, it would at best be accurate to a 10-30ft radius as that is what you can expect from a civil GPS receiver ... & it's that GPS accuracy a Mini2 rely on for a RTH landing.
Original Mavic Pro had prescion landing added in a firmware update after a few months, I don't think the Mini 2 will get it. A Mini 3 will probably have it, together with forward sensors, active track, its the way DJI cleverly leverage the customer these days in my opinion.

Reactions: OldGuy
Why?

Mini2 very likely has a dual freq gps.
The most accurate gps on all drone I tried (except RTK).
The error is mostly less than 1m.

It comes with a down side though. It takes longer time for it to lock to a good position. You have to wait for many sats or do a touch and go before you leave your homepoint.

I'm amazed they put a such good gps in the mini2. I really hope that mavic 3 has one as well.

I've been using the mini2 together with a dual freq gps tracker, and it blows my mind how good it gets.

Why?

Mini2 very likely has a dual freq gps.
The most accurate gps on all drone I tried (except RTK).
The error is mostly less than 1m.

It comes with a down side though. It takes longer time for it to lock to a good position. You have to wait for many sats or do a touch and go before you leave your homepoint.

I'm amazed they put a such good gps in the mini2. I really hope that mavic 3 has one as well.

I've been using the mini2 together with a dual freq gps tracker, and it blows my mind how good it gets.
My M2Z which I have just sold after the early updates would land within inches I repeat inches from where it took off from!! No kidding.

In my opinion, the RTH accuracy of the Mini 2 is really acceptable, I don't think it is a necessary thing to have a precision RTH as now also available on the new Mini Zino Pro. My Mini 2 is always very close to the 50x50cm landig pad if I had an 80cm pad there would have landed on top of it most of the time.
I usually do landings manually on the Pad and hand.
this is just my thought.;)

In my opinion, the RTH accuracy of the Mini 2 is really acceptable, I don't think it is a necessary thing to have a precision RTH as now also available on the new Mini Zino Pro. My Mini 2 is always very close to the 50x50cm landig pad if I had an 80cm pad there would have landed on top of it most of the time.
I usually do landings manually on the Pad and hand.
this is just my thought.;)
If you read my initial thread you will see that my problem is that I am landing on a small patch of grass surrounded by trees. 1m off the pad is so so but 2 m off like the other day and I would have hit the trees if I hadn't taken over manually. My M2Z always hit the pad because of precision landing so I didn't have to worry. My original question is why can't the Mini 2 have precision landing!?

The thing is that it is very nice to fly from your own home. You don't have to pack your gear into your car and drive for one hour to a suitable place. The mornings are very nice here so I grab my Mini 2 and have a quick flight but I would like to have precision landing to clear the trees. If my big drone has it why not my Mini 2 and that is what this thread is about!
IMHO, why would a manufacturer design a $500 drone to compete with its own $1,800 (plus accessories) drone? After 2+ years of flying the more expensive M2P, I have no regrets with my original purchase. I make the comparison of buying a Chevrolet Corvair to a Chevrolet Corvette. Both move, but one has more features.

What if you practiced your approaches and landings at the landing zone with your camera pointed all the way down to get a grip on the flight path you would need to land using the camera? Making several practice runs may give the the confidence to bring it home by using the camera and lining up the cross hairs with a spot on the ground to put it right where you want it.

Precision landing is important to me as I often fly from a small patch of grass in my garden which is surrounded by trees. When I first bought my M2Z precision landing was not available but following an update it did eventually work and my M2Z would land directly on the pad. My Mavic Mini and now my Mini 2 don’t have precision landing and yesterday my Mini 2 on RTH almost hit the trees. I cancelled RTH as I often do at the last minute and adjusted the Mini 2 so it did land on the pad. My question is does anyone know why the Mini 2 doesn’t have precision landing? I imagine it is to do with the size/weight of the drone and that you can only cram so much into such a small package!?
I suggest setting up a simple test if a method I use for precise landings. I take off and will climb to 30 - 35' and hover there for a few seconds, certainly no more then 5 or 6 seconds. This insures the drone establishes its exact location and my RTH landings are usually within inches of take off point. I use the circular landing pad with black/orange to get a good color contrast. If I take off and immediately depart after hearing setting the home point landing accuracy is skewed!

IMHO, why would a manufacturer design a $500 drone to compete with its own $1,800 (plus accessories) drone? After 2+ years of flying the more expensive M2P, I have no regrets with my original purchase. I make the comparison of buying a Chevrolet Corvair to a Chevrolet Corvette. Both move, but one has more features.
The day of the big (250 gram +) drone is coming to an end I'm afraid. Too many rules and regulations for us amateurs. I have just sold my M2Z for that very reason. If DJI can give the M2 series precision landing then why not the Mini 2!?

If you read my initial thread you will see that my problem is that I am landing on a small patch of grass surrounded by trees. 1m off the pad is so so but 2 m off like the other day and I would have hit the trees if I hadn't taken over manually. My M2Z always hit the pad because of precision landing so I didn't have to worry. My original question is why can't the Mini 2 have precision landing!?
Sorry, I got lost in your "trees" problem .... I think DJI could add this option via firmware, but I don't think they will! maybe on the future Mini 3? ...

Reactions: OldGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke