DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Print this off hand out to your police and keep some in the car.

I completely agree. I would not hand this document to any LEO. Why invite trouble?

I do think page 2 is very good however.
I agree. I am police officer, Part 107 pilot and have a private pilot’s license (none of which makes my opinion more valid but I participate in and understand both sides).

The police, even as mentioned in the document, still have authority over local and state laws which may apply and those laws may have nothing to do specifically with drones. The state or local have NO authority to regulate air space but there are plenty of laws that don’t apply to air space for which anyone including a drone pilot can violate.

One time I arrested a helicopter pilot for various state laws violations and seized the helicopter. We actually out the two person helicopter on a flatbed wrecker and towed it away. Since I am a pilot I knew of several FAA violations and put into my investigation for both state and federal violations. We certainly didn’t file any federal charges because it is not within our jurisdiction. I did call the FSDO which luckily was only about 90 minutes away and after explaining the situation, they were more than glad to show up the next day and file federal charges. The short story is he was believed to be smuggling drugs but when he saw us he flew over a saltwater marsh and dumped his cargo. We could see him do it but never recovered the duffel bag looking package that he threw out.

An example of a law that might be enforced that is not specifically a drone law in most (or all) states is to recklessly endanger someone, which was one of the charges we filed on the helicopter pilot. Remember the standard to detain someone and question (although he doesn’t have to answer) is only reasonable suspicion of a crime (Supreme Court, Terry v. Ohio).

I might keep a printout with me and at some point might offer it, if the officer wishes to see it. I absolutely would not hand an officer a piece of paper and say, read this.

Officers can make mistakes but in my 37+ years (retired in May 2021), I have never heard an officer detaining or arresting someone on federal charges for any federal crime, much less but the FAA. In this case if an officer knows enough that he is familiar with federal and in particular FAA laws, he should then be aware that he can’t enforce them. I was in supervision and then command for 21, years and was never asked by an officer if he/she could enforce federal laws.

The information on the document isn’t bad but hopefully no one thinks it negates state authority on practically everything EXCEPT airspace. I am confident that most people taking time to read this forum are aware of most of this but I might approach handing an officer paperwork with reasonableness. I certainly wouldn’t see an officer walking up and start heading toward my car for the document (or anything else but that matter).

In my opinion …..

I agree. I am police officer, Part 107 pilot and have a private pilot’s license (none of which makes my opinion more valid but I participate in and understand both sides).

The police, even as mentioned in the document, still have authority over local and state laws which may apply and those laws may have nothing to do specifically with drones. The state or local have NO authority to regulate air space but there are plenty of laws that don’t apply to air space for which anyone including a drone pilot can violate.

One time I arrested a helicopter pilot for various state laws violations and seized the helicopter. We actually out the two person helicopter on a flatbed wrecker and towed it away. Since I am a pilot I knew of several FAA violations and put into my investigation for both state and federal violations. We certainly didn’t file any federal charges because it is not within our jurisdiction. I did call the FSDO which luckily was only about 90 minutes away and after explaining the situation, they were more than glad to show up the next day and file federal charges. The short story is he was believed to be smuggling drugs but when he saw us he flew over a saltwater marsh and dumped his cargo. We could see him do it but never recovered the duffel bag looking package that he threw out.

An example of a law that might be enforced that is not specifically a drone law in most (or all) states is to recklessly endanger someone, which was one of the charges we filed on the helicopter pilot. Remember the standard to detain someone and question (although he doesn’t have to answer) is only reasonable suspicion of a crime (Supreme Court, Terry v. Ohio).

I might keep a printout with me and at some point might offer it, if the officer wishes to see it. I absolutely would not hand an officer a piece of paper and say, read this.

Officers can make mistakes but in my 37+ years (retired in May 2021), I have never heard an officer detaining or arresting someone on federal charges for any federal crime, much less but the FAA. In this case if an officer knows enough that he is familiar with federal and in particular FAA laws, he should then be aware that he can’t enforce them. I was in supervision and then command for 21, years and was never asked by an officer if he/she could enforce federal laws.

The information on the document isn’t bad but hopefully no one thinks it negates state authority on practically everything EXCEPT airspace. I am confident that most people taking time to read this forum are aware of most of this but I might approach handing an officer paperwork with reasonableness. I certainly wouldn’t see an officer walking up and start heading toward my car for the document (or anything else but that matter).

In my opinion …..
Good advice. Know your State laws (and local if appropriate, thankfully my state passed a preemption law which is a much better way to do things IMO) and if approached by a LEO be respectful and courteous. The vast majority of them (yes I have run into the rare exception) are good people trying to do a very tough job.

Reactions: tvc184
In all reality I am inclined to agree. Police have a difficult job that's dangerous. Drones create additional headaches for them. I can see many Officers not being impressed with being handed a document when they have already entered their routine of engaging with you, assessing the situation, and applying laws that they are familiar with. Still, be respectful, "Officer, I need to land the drone before we converse so please bare with me." Keeping your eyes and mind on the drone takes precedent. In the meantime, they can stand there, in silence, assessment suspended, read and learn nothing until the drone has returned to the home point and landed.

Reactions: tvc184
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman