DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro 3 vs Evo Pro II

westwind77

Reactions
I've been enjoying my MPP for a long time. M3 seems a bit steep (yes, I know, beating a dead horse). I am/was seriously considering getting the 2S as a replacement. I have seen mention of the Evo brand and was curious what people thought of it. I have been very happy with my DJI but the Evo Pro II seem to fall between the above 2 DJI's in price and seems to offer some of the features the M3 does as well.

I have not done much digging into the Evo brand, just a quick look around their site after seeing it mentioned here. Is it a worthwhile alternative should it meet my need vs getting the M3 or the 2S?

Reactions: Droniac
I always find myself shaking my head sideways slowly as i talk about the Autel and the Grief on that forum.
Despite the Setbacks, the disappointment from DJI at times, it is still the ONE.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Capture the Storm , and Land on the Water.

I've been flying my Evo Pro 2 for about a year now, no issues. I can always tell an image taken on my MP2 vs the Autel.

This is one of my favorite recent Autel shots, from the North Cascades:
(11 degree weather btw)

View attachment 138069
That’s a beautiful picture. Do you mind telling me where this exact point is in North Cascades? I dont think it is closer to the national park itself?

I've been enjoying my MPP for a long time. M3 seems a bit steep (yes, I know, beating a dead horse). I am/was seriously considering getting the 2S as a replacement. I have seen mention of the Evo brand and was curious what people thought of it. I have been very happy with my DJI but the Evo Pro II seem to fall between the above 2 DJI's in price and seems to offer some of the features the M3 does as well.

I have not done much digging into the Evo brand, just a quick look around their site after seeing it mentioned here. Is it a worthwhile alternative should it meet my need vs getting the M3 or the 2S?
In terms of raw specs the Evo 2 is superior to the air 2. Even in its base form the evo has a superior camera (although they are both stellar cameras and you likely not notice a huge difference). The Evo 2 also is a larger aircraft which depending on how you look at it is a pro because it can handle more wind without being overwhelmed. In addition Autel aircraft have little to no geo restrictions. Meaning you won’t have to jump through the ridicules red tape necessary with DJI.

There are 2 notable trade offs with the Evo 2, it’s product lifespan and price. Its more expensive than the Air 2, Evo 2 competes in the price range of the Mavic 2 series. Lastly Autel does not have a good track record of supporting their hardware in the long term. Case in point the Release of the ”Evo v2” that is not compatible with any of the less than 2 years old “old” livedeck and smart controller. As well as Autels previous platform the X-Star battery production ceasing within what I believe was a poultry 3 years after its release. Right when many people began to need replacement batteries.

In summary the EVO 2 is a stellar platform without DJI’s red tape, it’s unknown what it’s long term prospects may be and is in a relatively high price point >$1000. While the DJI air 2 is a great platform that has more cons in the present but has better long term support prospects.

The sheer number of issues people seem to be having with Autel products are enough to deter me from buying one. That, and they seem to be much better on the spec sheet than in the real world, over-promising and under-delivering. As already mentioned above, support and longevity is also a major concern. Third party accessory support is also not as good.

Obviously there are going to be people who own them and haven't had a problem but there is a reason DJI essentially has a monopoly on the consumer drone market.

There are 2 notable trade offs with the Evo 2, it’s product lifespan and price.

Another tradeoff on the E2P is much less 3rd party support. There is no good 3rd party autonomous flight programs like Litchi or Dronelink like there is for the M2P.

But since DJI has not released the SDK for several recent drones, it may be a long time if ever for the M3 SDK. The stock DJI WP program is still way ahead of the pathetic Autel version.

I've been flying my Evo Pro 2 for about a year now, no issues. I can always tell an image taken on my MP2 vs the Autel.

(11 degree weather btw)

View attachment 138069
May I put you on the spot a bit? I'm 100% in this quandary right now. Trying to decide if to buy the Autel 2 Pro or the Mavic 2 Pro. I'm mainly interested in the Autel's ability to fly waypoint missions in DroneDeploy, Pix4D and others. As an owner of both, I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

(11 degree weather btw)

Did you mean to imply the EP2 pictures are of better quality than those from the M2P?

The things I’ve read about the Evo is it’s not very stationary when it’s hovering it moves around a lot no matter what Dji do you have the best Drones just not good customer service if anything happens but that’s just my opinion I’ve never flown in Evo

I would recommend you post your question on the Autel Pilots forum, where there are more folks that have actual experience with both te EVO 2 series AND DJI quads, so you get more than hearsay or rumor (i.e. - "I've heard... or read", etc.)

Personally, I have flown DJI P4 and P4 Pro V2s, MPPs, my own Air 2 and Mini 2 (Love both the latter 2 but not so much the DJI restrictions and data flow back to DJI), as well as my Autel EVO 2 Pro - which is steady as a rock in the wind and takes great pics and video. I know part 107 pilots that fly survey and waypoint missions for a living and love the E2P for that, especially the newer Enterprise Edition, which is made for just that sort of thing. Both M2 Enterprise and the E2P enterprise are used by many first responders who make great use of the features they offer.

Bottom line - get info from those who have used both. I don't think you will go wrong either way. The M3 looks technically awesome - but at that price point, unless you are a Pt107 professional, I would have to stick with either the Air2S or the E2P.

If you want some E2P photos from here in San Diego, CA, here you go:MAX_0031.JPGMAX_0030.JPGMAX_0133.JPG

It's a heated, take no prisoners rivalry, and that's a good thing for us. These two makers, and specifically these Flagship Drones are designed and built with some key differences in philosophy; the end product demonstrates this in some obvious and some not so obvious ways.

I will comment as I have both a V2 Evo 2 Pro and a Mavic 3 Standard -each with the Smart Controller dedicated to giving the best experience and interface with the aircraft.

While there are strong loyalties among the people who spend big bucks to own these, I try to be a bit pragmatic and take a brutally honest approach to both.

Without getting into the hardware design differences, the Autel is an awesome piece of hardware. A brick in terms of mass, and not as agile in flight as the Mavic 3. It's camera is outstanding and given me great joy as a photographer- utilizing the Sony IMX383 Sensor it was the King of The Sky, pre-Mavic 3 release. I bought it, less than a year into flying drones, tired of waiting for the M3. If part OF DJI'S motive in releasing the Mavic 3 early (no one will dispute this point) they still were too late to stop a lot of E2P sales.

Again the hardware, especially the cameras will be the deciding factor for many, and will be the source of many forum bickering and SHOUTING. Few can afford both, and one might ask why anyone would need both. A: No one does. But I wanted the dream team of drones, I had the funds (not Mr. Moneybags, I don't spend a lot on other stuff, I buy tech because it's my discipline and I ride the bleeding edge when possible.

BIGGEST DIFFERENCE: Something I think people should top their pros/cons list with is knowledge of the development and support of these products. Yes both companies have praises sung as well as others who swear them off for terrible support experiences. Unfortunately it's near impossible to get a sense of this until you are in the deep end of the pool.

I will say this. Autel is the classic underdog. They are hungry for success and market share. But they are small. Very small. They aren't even 10% of DJI's size and resources.

The Autel hardware is top shelf. Their Software/Firmware development is no where near the level that DJI does. They often seem stretched thin. ALL of their release dates slip. If they struggle to keep up with their releases up to now, I truly worry what EVO 2 support and software development will look like when not one but two new lines of consumer drones are out there. It may not be as bad as that sounds, but if pressed I would posit the theory that the Automotive Diagnostics parent company is not providing enough resources to the Robotics division. This is my own view, based on empirical evidence, but without any specific knowledge.

DJI? Outstanding and the true early innovator here. They contributed so much to drone flight systems and associated tech, it would take a book to thoroughly explore their role. If I were to state my biggest criticism of them it would be a major case of too big for their britches, as my dear ol' dad might have said. And a recent focus on profiteering, sometimes at the expense of other things. Fill in your own examples - mine is $19 pair of Mavic 3 propellers vs 11 for Air 2S, and RC Pro at $460 price increase over its predecessor.
Obviously there's more to this than the drone, but at the end of the day it IS the drone. If you have a strong preference for one of these two Masters of the Sky, I say buy it, deal with the BS that comes with owning a product that didn't exist (as attainable tech) a decade ago. Take the good, deal with the difficult, and admit we have a **** expensive hobby, and get out there and fly.

Today I am leaning Autel. Ask me tonight, I might feel differently.

Both the M2P and Air2S use a variant of that exact same sensor.
Yes. That is true. It's interesting to me how firmware & processing can pull different benefits and behavior from the sensor. The Air 2 shared its sensor with the Evo 2 8K each harvesting the pixel binning in different ways. It was supposedly capable of 4K 90fps, but I don't believe either drone utilized it, for one reason or another. Probably something sub-par in the output but possibly requiring more processing than was avaliable in their implementation.

That’s a beautiful picture. Do you mind telling me where this exact point is in North Cascades? I dont think it is closer to the national park itself?
Thanks so much. Its near the Washington Pass Overlook outside the park. Unfortunately they close the highway for snow or I would be up there again.

Did you mean to imply the EP2 pictures are of better quality than those from the M2P?
Yes, I've flown both extensively around the world and I can always tell the M2P photos vs the EP2. Given I don't shoot in broad daylight or use filters of any sort. The EP2 are much closer to my Inspire 2 X5S photos.

I went to Iceland last June. Three drone choices (MP2, EP2 and I2) I took the Autel. and a new-to-me GFX100s medium format. Now If I could only fix that to the drone...

When the dust settles, Ill get a used MP3 to see how it goes.

Thanks so much. Its near the Washington Pass Overlook outside the park. Unfortunately they close the highway for snow or I would be up there again.
I just realized that it was outside the NP territory, this place is a must fly place for drones, I am going to go there right when they open up. From where is the road closed in that highway?

Do you have any other cool places to fly around Seattle? I am open to traveling for 3 hours

May I put you on the spot a bit? I'm 100% in this quandary right now. Trying to decide if to buy the Autel 2 Pro or the Mavic 2 Pro. I'm mainly interested in the Autel's ability to fly waypoint missions in DroneDeploy, Pix4D and others. As an owner of both, I'd really like to hear your thoughts.
I'm not sure about the Autel, but I have been flying a M2P for a year now, using DroneDeploy to plan mission. One other thing that the M2P offers is the DJI Ground Station Pro - I use this quite a lot for way point missions. I now have a Mavic 3, and am waiting for the mapping stuff - the extra battery life is what sold me on this.

I'm not sure about the Autel, but I have been flying a M2P for a year now, using DroneDeploy to plan mission. One other thing that the M2P offers is the DJI Ground Station Pro - I use this quite a lot for way point missions. I now have a Mavic 3, and am waiting for the mapping stuff - the extra battery life is what sold me on this.
According to 2nd hand accounts, there is no mapping stuff (read: waypoints) coming for the Mavic 3.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J