DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro cinematic flight maneuvers

brett8883

Reactions
For awhile now I have been looking for a good resource that contained an index of some of the more complex cinematic aerial maneuvers. However, I had a hard time finding a resource that fit my criteria until now and I wanted to share with the forum.

If like me you have been flying for months and years you already know the basics. Dronie, orbit, half moon etc. However, I wanted something more complex with several axis of movement or compound movements that I could practice and really hone my skills as a cinematographer and drone pilot. It also mattered to me in some way that it wasn’t Joe Nobody from YouTube giving me the drone 101 course from Macaroni U.

This video fit the bill because it is from Adobe and really focuses less on the drone aspect and more from the cinematographer POV. This gives me plenty of moves to practice and gave me a few ideas for shots I hadn’t even thought of. Don’t hold it against me that I’m sure he is using a Phantom lol

Brilliant! Thanks.

Some excellent basics there . IMO. Plan shots however need to be quite long. Our brain is not used to looking straight down and therefore it takes a second or two to for it to register where we are. Some of the moving shots are solved by the Mavic i.e. point of view. When reversing motion care has to be taken of anything i.e. cars moving in shot. But some words to live or film by there.

Some excellent basics there . IMO. Plan shots however need to be quite long. Our brain is not used to looking straight down and therefore it takes a second or two to for it to register where we are. Some of the moving shots are solved by the Mavic i.e. point of view. When reversing motion care has to be taken of anything i.e. cars moving in shot. But some words to live or film by there.
I agree, I think they probably sped some of those up to shorten an already fairly long video. I have trouble panning slow enough with the Mavic to be honest.

I think you are right some of these moves can be done rather easily with course lock or even waypoints. However, a lot of those moves seem really easy at first but in reality are quite difficult to actually do perfectly especially when there is a moving object in the frame and the camera movement synchronizes with the object. There are little things he does concerning frame location that really add a nice look but also greatly increase the difficulty of the maneuver.

The one where he orbits around the rock column he mentions something important about the column moving in the frame which I think looks a lot better and not possible with POI. If you notice the column gradually moves from frame center to frame right as he orbits around it. It’s almost like it’s “rolling” on the frame which is really interesting and incredibly difficult to get perfect.

The one where he starts behind the motorcycle with the motorcycle starting in the top right of the frame then “half moons” around the motorcycle while it’s moving so he ends up in front of the motorcycle and by the time he stops the motorcycle is not at the bottom left of the frame. I think that’s brilliant but incredibly difficult.

Last edited:
For awhile now I have been looking for a good resource that contained an index of some of the more complex cinematic aerial maneuvers. However, I had a hard time finding a resource that fit my criteria until now and I wanted to share with the forum.

If like me you have been flying for months and years you already know the basics. Dronie, orbit, half moon etc. However, I wanted something more complex with several axis of movement or compound movements that I could practice and really hone my skills as a cinematographer and drone pilot. It also mattered to me in some way that it wasn’t Joe Nobody from YouTube giving me the drone 101 course from Macaroni U.

This video fit the bill because it is from Adobe and really focuses less on the drone aspect and more from the cinematographer POV. This gives me plenty of moves to practice and gave me a few ideas for shots I hadn’t even thought of. Don’t hold it against me that I’m sure he is using a Phantom lol

Go easy on Phantom - I have a Phantom 3 4K and there are a number of cases where I like the image it produces over my Mavic Pro.
The Phantom 4K camera is larger (obviously lens and I assume sensor) and it has 2 advantages; it shoots a wider image which is good for big scenery and when obstructions prevent you from backing away far enough AND it produces a brighter more detailed image in low-light (after sunset) conditions.
Most machines have some advantage over the others.
Some of this could have only been produced with the Mavic and others - only with the Phantom. Speakers on - enjoy.

Go easy on Phantom - I have a Phantom 3 4K and there are a number of cases where I like the image it produces over my Mavic Pro.
The Phantom 4K camera is larger (obviously lens and I assume sensor) and it has 2 advantages; it shoots a wider image which is good for big scenery and when obstructions prevent you from backing away far enough AND it produces a brighter more detailed image in low-light (after sunset) conditions.
Most machines have some advantage over the others.
Some of this could have only been produced with the Mavic and others - only with the Phantom. Speakers on - enjoy.
I wasn’t ripping on the Phantom, I agree it has a better camera. What I meant is this is “Mavic”Pilots not “Phantom”Pilots. It was my poor attempt at some dull humor lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun