DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro vs Platinum

JT01

Reactions
I am new to the forums and the Drone World....
I am looking at the Pro and the Platinum models...not a lot of difference between the two machines except for 3 minutes longer flight time and a bit of noise reduction.
Are those differences worth the extra $$ ??
99% of my flying will be commercially oriented.
Any and all help is appreciated.

Depends on if you need as much time in the air as possible, or if you're okay without the extra few minutes. You can throw the quieter props on the regular Mavic, but you won't get the additional flight time. For me, I could get a Mavic Pro at a significantly cheaper price that would buy me several batteries, and I don't need the extra time in the air. If you want to launch and be up as long as possible because you need extended flights, then it's probably worth it.

Hello JT01

I have two MPP's

basically, to there isn't enough difference in the two to warrant the extra cost. You could skin the Pro, add quiet props, and nobody would be able to tell the difference. I ordered the wrong batteries (Pro instead of Platinum) but kept them and they function just as well.

I can say one thing. If you make the plunge on a Mavic Pro, there are some basics with respect to the Mavic Pro series that I've listed below. Everyone may not agree with my suggestions, but that's all they are, suggestions. They can however, get you off on a good start. whichever model you choose.:

1) Stay at an altitude void of obstructions until acquainted with the various systems; they aren't simple toys.
2) Always be ready to abort a RTH (return to home) should things go south; and they will.
3) RTH isn't accurate at night. It will get you home but without light, you will miss the LZ every time; sometimes on top of the house.
4) Be careful not to allow the Mavic Pro to overheat, lots of things fry quick...no cooling fan no fly! At on, no props turning, you should get a fan on in 1.5 minutes
5) check into DJI Refresh, its worth it if you don't want to fix it yourself.
6) Unfold props before each flight
8) When a prop strike occurs, remove all the props and check for damage, not only the blades, but also the locking tabs. If a locking tab is missing, look on top of the motor around the copper winding's for the small square piece.
9) Practice remote emergency landings near your takeoff site. First maintaining visual, then move to video/goggle view. One scenario is you're out at or near the half battery point and you turn to home and find the wind has changed direction and 50% battery will only get you close to home. Find a safe LZ, get as close to the ground as you can, and as close to a road (for retrieval) then hit auto land. Jump in the gar and follow the GO 4 app to your drone.
10) set the 1st battery level warning at or around 50% until familiar. and warning no less than 10%. Don't get caught high at 2000 feet AGL with 10% battery; the Mavic Pro uses power to descend. You can enter an emergency power down then restart before hitting the dirt but it's a gamble.
11) if it enters a RTH on its on, regardless of your battery level, allow it you do so. One exception is lose of signal. You can abort once signal is re-established. My reason here is the drone has algorithms to account for decent and flying in a tail wind, both of which use a lot of power to stay under the max speed. Choosing to abort a RTH while bucking a head wind in a climb to 400 feet AGL, with nothing but trees beneath equates to a lost drone even if you only used 35% power when the warning occurs.
12) If you decide on a 3rd party app in place of the GO 4 app, I suggest wide open field for practice. Also, be prepared in the event the app parks your drone at 100 feet AGL and you lose all control.
13) don't be afraid to fly out to the signal limits (video usually drops off first) the RTH feature is incredible if you lose all signal, as long as its not set to Dynamic Home Point which will land where it set its last home point. No signal and dynamic home point equals lost drone. Recoverable if its battery stays in during an above water landing. My ideal flight is from a the highest point I can take off from, which gives me incredible distance advantages. Just keep and eye on the battery and wind speed and direction.
14) Get the DJI Goggles. They aren't for everyone but to me, they are the difference in watching your drone fly and virtually sitting in the cockpit flying it!
!5) Get a good set of Carbon fiber props. I've had a couple sets. The best so far came from Drone World. But stay clear of props that have screws as opposed to rivets; the screws can and WILL back out.

One final word with respect to DJI. They have a sophisticated lineup of products, but their quest to flood the market has cost them in quality. The Mavic Pro is not a robust machine with respect to collisions, but is an incredible piece of equipment if flown within certain parameters.

Fly high and fly often

From the videos I’ve seen on the internet, swapping props did not lower the noise on the Pro. What am I missing ??

That's because the Platinum have also upgraded motors. They are not the same as the regular Mavic Pro.

Thanks that’s what I’ve heard too. Also heard the Platinum motors don’t spin as many RPM’s thus helping conserve battery life and lower noise pitch. Not sure how true but that’s what I’ve found doing some browsing on the web.

Reactions: macoman
I fly standard Mavic with the low noise props and there is definitely a reduction in noise. The MPP is a bit quieter still but personally I would spend the extra $$ on another battery.

Reactions: strdr
I fly a MPP.

My friend recently got a MP and we flew at the same time a few weeks ago.

For me there is not enough difference in the two models to justify the price increase.

Had i not got such a good deal on my MPP, i think i would have been a bit let down.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu