DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Probable reason for 500m altitude limit

I thought the limit is because a lot of light aircrafts' low height limit is just a little above that, outside of NFZ. Just to ensure no incidents outside populated areas.
Correction: I initially thought it was 500ft, instead of 500m.
I've heard at 500m, the wind up that high can be crazy and unpredictable

Just use Weather Forecast Maps its not so bad. The Mavic can handle pretty good winds. Especially in Sport mode. Small aircraft becomes a concern for sure. The ones that don't pop up on Flightradar24.

@Xtreme Drone Pilot

1. The auto-landing battery percentage is somewhere between 20-30% if the drone goes above 250m (from my experience). I believe it would be in the 30s or even 40s when the altitude is near 500m.
2. After flight parameter changes via DJI Assistant 2, the descending speed can be adjusted to as high as 10m/s.
3. Many that I know hacked the DJI altitude limit of 500m on earlier versions of the firmware. They were able to go up over 4000m and came down with 5% battery left.

Watch this dude. 3 miles up shut off the motors and fell down before he restarted them before landing safely. Just insane!

Last edited:
I spoke to a few airline and helicopter pilots about height. It seems the lowest a helicopter is allowed fly is 500ft (in Ireland anyway), therefore the highest we are allowed fly is 400ft. Leaving a safety corridor of 100ft

That was intense. Would never be game enough to try with mine. Was it luck it made it back in time, or were there a few trial and errors? Hmm...

That was intense. Would never be game enough to try with mine. Was it luck it made it back in time, or were there a few trial and errors? Hmm...

Buy a few more MPs as backups. Anything can happen above 1km. Each of my friends lost at least one drone to unknown causes trying out those vertical "frontiers" :) :)

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Probably should add, that’s most definitely illegal. It only takes one accident, being hit by a plane or helicopter in the air, or if he failed to restart and it fell through someone’s roof or kills someone. Then we have more laws and restrictions on how, where and when we can fly our drones.

I can't be certain but anyone attempting such a feat has already done several mods to the Mavic plus most likely he went up as high as he could go and make it back down even with modded descent rate. Mine can come down 20mph in sport mode for example with parameter tweaks. I've never had the nerves to attempt a mid flight motor shut down / restart. Probably never will! Easier just to watch that guy do it. Mavic go 3 miles up - check. OK no need for me to do it :p

Probably should add, that’s most definitely illegal. It only takes one accident, being hit by a plane or helicopter in the air, or if he failed to restart and it fell through someone’s roof or kills someone. Then we have more laws and restrictions on how, where and when we can fly our drones.

Yes certainly never try this unless you're over very sparsely populated area and use Flightradar24 plus get the wind speeds and directions (drift) at that altitude. But like someone said the terminal velocity on this thing regardless of the height up is about what you get from a motor shut down at 200 or so feet up presumably, a height everyone flies at. It just sounds so much worse saying 3 miles up. I'd be much more concerned about commercial flights at that height. I wouldn't do an intentional motor shut off at 200 feet either ;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman