DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problem Unlocking an Authorization Zone

Kent Lewis

Reactions
I see that this has already been discussed often, but none of the threads I looked at seemed to cover my problem.

I live in an Authorization Zone with a 250ft ceiling. I use Kittyhawk to get a LAANC authorization. This afternoon, I tried to fly and the Authorization Zone warning came up as usual. When I tried to take off, the unlock screen came up and I checked all the boxes, as usual, and it came back with the message that the unlock was successful. The red Authorization Zone warning was still on the screen and the drone would not start. I tried several times, rebooted the iPhone, and updated the app. Still no joy.

In the past it has sometimes taken 2-3 tries to get it to unlock, but not today.

Any advice would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Naturally, as soon as I posted this, I gave it one last try. It worked perfectly. #$&%!!!.

Still, I spent a frustrating hour (not counting posting this thread) and I would like to avoid a repeat. So if you have any ideas, please let me know.

Last edited:
I feel your pain I live within 4kms of an airport and have a mini. Some days it's straight through other days 2 or 3 times. I now have an Android app "Force Stop Apps" on my phone that I clear all apps with and it always seems to run after that. The other thing I sometimes find is I gain clearance on DJI Fly close it down and run Litchi and it's blocked, go back unblock in DJI Fly then it goes fine again in Litchi. All rather annoying really...

Bussty, yes, really annoying. If it would just do one thing consistently it might be possible to find a solution, but this erratic behavior makes that really hard. Maybe the only solution is to go with a non-DJI drone that does not require unlocking.

You guys are remembering the second step to unlock is to transfer the license to the drone? Right? Under the safety tab......

I have seen that but surely that happens automatically as often it works first time without doing that? So you are saying do the unlock then go to safety tab and do that transfer? I have the added annoying restriction that I'm close to a total no go area and I get a warning for that to so sometimes the first one goes through fine but that second one never shows but still locks me down sigh...

I have seen that but surely that happens automatically as often it works first time without doing that? So you are saying do the unlock then go to safety tab and do that transfer? I have the added annoying restriction that I'm close to a total no go area and I get a warning for that to so sometimes the first one goes through fine but that second one never shows but still locks me down sigh...
I'm in a similar situation with proximity to an airport. I've never had the first step transfer to the drone automatically. I always do the second step manually. Lately I've seen the first step go through and then not show at the transfer screen. I go back and do the first step again and it always shows up then. It's a hassle no doubt.

Reactions: GregWhiteShark
I'm in a similar situation with proximity to an airport. I've never had the first step transfer to the drone automatically. I always do the second step manually. Lately I've seen the first step go through and then not show at the transfer screen. I go back and do the first step again and it always shows up then. It's a hassle no doubt.
Interesting I will give it a whirl. Cheers

Anyone able to confirm that they can CREATE NEW WAYPOINT MISSIONS in Litchi using the standard LAANC + custom DJI unlock -> "transfer to controller then drone" approach?

Anyone able to confirm that they can CREATE NEW WAYPOINT MISSIONS in Litchi using the standard LAANC + custom DJI unlock -> "transfer to controller then drone" approach?

Unlocking for KAPA Class D airspace worked fine several weeks ago (and for months before). (Mavic 2 Pro - GO4 - Smart Controller - Latest firmware). Now after Importing an authorization to the aircraft I try to turn on the Authorization Zone, check the 2 boxes in the Please confirm pop-up and hit OK. Then I get the "User authentication failed" message. I turned everything off then back on ... same message. I did 3 additional FlySafe requests .... same message. After loading the Authorization to the aircraft if I try to start the Mavic 2 I get the same popup .... check the 2 boxes and OK ... then I get "Unlock Failed". Multiple attempts get the same results.

Unlocking for KAPA Class D airspace worked fine several weeks ago (and for months before). (Mavic 2 Pro - GO4 - Smart Controller - Latest firmware). Now after Importing an authorization to the aircraft I try to turn on the Authorization Zone, check the 2 boxes in the Please confirm pop-up and hit OK. Then I get the "User authentication failed" message. I turned everything off then back on ... same message. I did 3 additional FlySafe requests .... same message. After loading the Authorization to the aircraft if I try to start the Mavic 2 I get the same popup .... check the 2 boxes and OK ... then I get "Unlock Failed". Multiple attempts get the same results.
UPDATE – workaround for the DJI GEO Zone Unlocking malfunction (“User authentication failed” and “Unlock Failed”)

The DJI Unlocking URL matters! (KAPA class D airspace, Mavic 2 Pro, GO4, Smart Controller, current firmware, valid DJI account)

If you go to the dji.com site, then go to Support, then go to FlySafe, then choose UNLOCK ZONE you will be directed to their new Unlock Request page https://fly-safe.dji.com/unlock-request/list. Any request I’ve made through their “+ New Unlock Request” … “Zone Unlocking” process has provided an authorization that fails to actually unlock the zone in the GO4 app on my Smart Controller. HOWEVER if I use the old unlocking provided through the URL – Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI then the DJI authorization that is generated WORKS. So, the old system generates a useable authorization but the new and improved systems does not. I hope DJI doesn’t remove the old URL until they fix the new system. Good luck.

whats the best alternative to DJI mavic 2? I live in a red zone and want to fly my drone without all these silly rules. I will happily swap my mavic mini 2 flymore combo as its not useable for me to simply fly around MY house and property The small training airport 4km away ,is used now and again. but MY drone is LOCKED 24/7 365 what a silly world we live in

Last edited:
Reactions: GregWhiteShark
I see that this has already been discussed often, but none of the threads I looked at seemed to cover my problem.

I live in an Authorization Zone with a 250ft ceiling. I use Kittyhawk to get a LAANC authorization. This afternoon, I tried to fly and the Authorization Zone warning came up as usual. When I tried to take off, the unlock screen came up and I checked all the boxes, as usual, and it came back with the message that the unlock was successful. The red Authorization Zone warning was still on the screen and the drone would not start. I tried several times, rebooted the iPhone, and updated the app. Still no joy.

In the past it has sometimes taken 2-3 tries to get it to unlock, but not today.

Any advice would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Naturally, as soon as I posted this, I gave it one last try. It worked perfectly. #$&%!!!.

Still, I spent a frustrating hour (not counting posting this thread) and I would like to avoid a repeat. So if you have any ideas, please let me know.
I’m still trying to figure out why in the hell we tolerate this b*llsh*t in the first place. Why do we have to ask permission to fly a $2K piece of hardware, and even more enraging, we ask permission FROM THE PEOPLE WE GAVE THE $2K TO.

If the company that I bought the **** thing from decides I shouldn’t fly, even if I’m standing with an authorization from my freaking government, I can’t fly. If they decide it’s okay for me to fly, but are unable to provide me with the proper authorizations, whether due to malfunction or incompetence, I STILL CAN’T FLY.

And it happens over, and over, and over.

So, question. Why is it this way? There must have been some rationale put forth before whoever signed on to this crap. And is there any will, or need, for us to do something about it.

UPDATE: My bad, I think…was able to call DJI. Teddy says “this is a recently known issue” and workaround is send address to fly safe team ([email protected]) and someone (not a robot) will get back with next steps to override glitch. Will advise one way or the other. I apologize if this is old news.

I’m sure I’m late to the party on whole swaths of this issue, but I’ve been flying for two years and have invested thousands in equipment that capriciously ends up as a paper weight. This can’t be right.

UPDATE/UPDATE: If this has already been passed on…oh well. Here goes.

I emailed my address to [email protected]. Automated reply in seconds. About 45 mins later received an email from a real person requesting the serial numbers of my two M2P controllers, complete with instructions on where to find them.

Less than an hour later both drones were operating normally and I have a “resident” selectable license unlock authorization in both controllers/drones.

Of course my original question becomes even more pointed. Why the hell are we doing any of this AT ALL?

Peace and stay safe.

Last edited:
UPDATE – workaround for the DJI GEO Zone Unlocking malfunction (“User authentication failed” and “Unlock Failed”)

The DJI Unlocking URL matters! (KAPA class D airspace, Mavic 2 Pro, GO4, Smart Controller, current firmware, valid DJI account)

If you go to the dji.com site, then go to Support, then go to FlySafe, then choose UNLOCK ZONE you will be directed to their new Unlock Request page https://fly-safe.dji.com/unlock-request/list. Any request I’ve made through their “+ New Unlock Request” … “Zone Unlocking” process has provided an authorization that fails to actually unlock the zone in the GO4 app on my Smart Controller. HOWEVER if I use the old unlocking provided through the URL – Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI then the DJI authorization that is generated WORKS. So, the old system generates a useable authorization but the new and improved systems does not. I hope DJI doesn’t remove the old URL until they fix the new system. Good luck.
Update .... DJI has stopped the ability to use the old URL by routing you back to the new FlySafe site if you go to the old URL. Of course the new FlySafe capability takes me back to the "User authentication failed" problem no matter how many times I resubmit a request.

Reactions: Gipper
I’m still trying to figure out why in the hell we tolerate this b*llsh*t in the first place. Why do we have to ask permission to fly a $2K piece of hardware, and even more enraging, we ask permission FROM THE PEOPLE WE GAVE THE $2K TO.

If the company that I bought the **** thing from decides I shouldn’t fly, even if I’m standing with an authorization from my freaking government, I can’t fly. If they decide it’s okay for me to fly, but are unable to provide me with the proper authorizations, whether due to malfunction or incompetence, I STILL CAN’T FLY.

And it happens over, and over, and over.

So, question. Why is it this way? There must have been some rationale put forth before whoever signed on to this crap. And is there any will, or need, for us to do something about it.

UPDATE: My bad, I think…was able to call DJI. Teddy says “this is a recently known issue” and workaround is send address to fly safe team ([email protected]) and someone (not a robot) will get back with next steps to override glitch. Will advise one way or the other. I apologize if this is old news.

I’m sure I’m late to the party on whole swaths of this issue, but I’ve been flying for two years and have invested thousands in equipment that capriciously ends up as a paper weight. This can’t be right.

UPDATE/UPDATE: If this has already been passed on…oh well. Here goes.

I emailed my address to [email protected]. Automated reply in seconds. About 45 mins later received an email from a real person requesting the serial numbers of my two M2P controllers, complete with instructions on where to find them.

Less than an hour later both drones were operating normally and I have a “resident” selectable license unlock authorization in both controllers/drones.

Of course my original question becomes even more pointed. Why the hell are we doing any of this AT ALL?

Peace and stay safe.
I live in an Authorization Zone. Can I email DJI to receive a "resident” selectable license unlock authorization?

I am tired of unlocking my drone for 3 day blocks at a time.

Thanks!

I am curious... I do not live in controlled air space and I have never attempted to fly in controlled airspace or anywhere I would require LAANC approval in order to fly (yet)... But I can only imagine the problems (if I am understanding them correctly) as described in this thread... I am assuming what is being discussed here is that you have LAANC approval to fly somewhere, but DJI still has you "locked down"? If this is the case, does anyone here have a rooted phone/device? I am wondering if one had a rooted device and used a GPS/location "spoofing" app, if that would get around the above mentioned headache?

Of course I am not implying or condoning that anyone should "skirt" or attempt to "skirt" getting proper approval prior to flying somewhere where you're supposed to have it... But I do wonder if "spoofing" your location (to make the device "think" you're somewhere that is not controlled airspace) on a rooted device would alleviate this problem?

But I do wonder if "spoofing" your location (to make the device "think" you're somewhere that is not controlled airspace) on a rooted device would alleviate this problem?
The gps location and the geofencing is all contained within the drone so there is no way to spoof your location.

The gps location and the geofencing is all contained within the drone so there is no way to spoof your location.

Ah, interesting... Though like I always say, software (and even hardware) can *always* be modified though...

I work in a restricted zone and like to fly my drone at lunch. I apply for Laanc approval every time and am automatically approved up to 200ft. But then I spend 20 minutes trying to get the drone to fly because of various error messages and lunch time is over.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent