DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problem when visiting USA with Mavic Mini

Reactions
Hi, I visited my sister in Ohio, from the UK a week ago, taking my Mavic Mini with me. However, when I tried to launch the drone in their yard, to get an aerial photo of their house for them, the warning on my screen showed a problem with the gimbal data, advising repair necessary. However, back in the UK, there are no issues. Is it possible that the US can prevent take-off in this way?

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!

I have not heard of this happening. Perhaps others might have the answer. Good luck

Hi, I visited my sister in Ohio, from the UK a week ago, taking my Mavic Mini with me. However, when I tried to launch the drone in their yard, to get an aerial photo of their house for them, the warning on my screen showed a problem with the gimbal data, advising repair necessary. However, back in the UK, there are no issues. Is it possible that the US can prevent take-off in this way?
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

I find it difficult for the gimbal to be giving you issues unless there was damage caused during your flight over.
Did you pack in suitcase or did you carry on?

Packed in a suitcase, in it's own hard case, but as I said, when I got back to the UK, the first thing I did was assemble the drone, and it powered up and took off with no issues, so there's no sign of any damage.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Hello from the Crossroads of America Martin Trafford

However, when I tried to launch the drone in their yard, to get an aerial photo of their house for them, the warning on my screen showed a problem with the gimbal data, advising repair necessary.

If you have the time, follow the instructions from the link below and extract the flight log(s) from that time.

There are some Gurus here that can decipher the information if you share it with us.

A gimbal error shouldn't prevent a flight.

Welcome to the Forum. 😎

That was my initial thought, but the darned thing just refused to launch. To be honest, I'm just happy that it behaves itself back at home. I fully intend revisiting Ohio at some point, and having a second attempt.

From memory a gimbal error can prevent a motor start.
I have two scrappers, both originally flew, I have their flight logs, but the last time I tried one of them I recollect it wouldn't start motors and there was a message about a gimbal error ( which I do not remenber from its previous flights. )

It is a concern obviously, and I hope the fact that it's now flying well, so I'm hoping it was a temporary glitch. Fingers crossed anyway. Thanks.

I think I would still see if there is a log from the attempt, just to try and determine what happened, I would think if there was anything that was going to prevent a flight merely because you changed countries would be many other things, not a gimbal error. Did you try and recenter the gimbal see if tossed any errors before you tried to launch?

@Martin Trafford ,was it the original MM if so it could be that because it was a none US compatible version
the original MM had different controllers ,in the US ,from UK versions ,although why it would say gimbal issue is a mystery

Welcome to the forum. Indeed, a mystery regarding your gimbal. I have not experienced this issue. Perhaps posting in the specific MM forum will glean some additional information. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

I visited my sister in Ohio, from the UK a week ago, taking my Mavic Mini with me.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

You have a lot of really knowledgeable folk working on your issue. The one thing I would recommend but I do not believe it contributed to your problem would be to always calibrate the Compass and IMU when you travel so far from home, especially since you brought your drone from the other side of the world… so I just offer you this in case you never got a copy of the User Manual…

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy Droning…

I’m with LoudThunder, bumping the drone around can cause IMU & compass errors in my experience. Also traveling this distance, compass calibration would be almost certain. the logs will tell all.

No. There must have been an issue with the gimbal cable. Keep an eye on it and send it in if it does it again.

I am certainly not an expert but simply recount that I have taken, firstly my dear old Spark and this year my MA2 to the States and had no problems. I did not need to attempt any recalibrations and apart from a LAANC application nothing interrupted my flights. Sorry to be so jolly, it must have been very frustrating.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum