DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop difference

RZR12

Reactions
Ok, I've asked and asked what the difference is between the 8743 and the 8743F props for the Mavic 2 pro/zoom, the last what I thought was a supply store directly from DGI, and they said they only sold the 8743, and that was the only prop they sold for that Mavic! I told her that mine come with the 8743F props and wanted to replace with the same, Amazon and many other sell both, is there a difference?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

There is currently only one version of the Mavic 2 props. Mine are all marked "8743F".

You can order OEM DJI Mavic 2 props from an authorized DJI dealer here on Amazon.

1548192437806.png

Last edited:
The 8743 designation stands for ... Diameter = 8.7 inches x Pitch = 4.3 inches.
Since both prop's have the same 8743 number, they would have to be pretty much the same - except for cosmetic differences.
Just a thought ... Since there are two mirror image versions of the prop's (spinning clockwise & anti-clockwise), is one designated F to denote the reverse pitch??

Reactions: old man mavic
Looking around the suppliers, it appears it could just be a designation letter standing for 'Foldable'
The Mavic 2 Pro props are sold with both descriptions against the same thing - but where just the number 8743 is used, it's usually followed by the word 'Foldable'.

The Mavic 2 Pro props are sold with both descriptions against the same thing - but where just the number 8743 is used, it's usually followed by the word 'Foldable'
All Mavic 2 models come with the same props. DJI only makes one version of the props.

All Mavic 2 models come with the same props. DJI only makes one version of the props.
It appears that 'official' sources of the genuine DJI parts, don't even use the 8743 designation. They just refer to the prop's being low-noise and for the Mavic 2 Pro & Zoom.

It appears that 'official' sources of the genuine DJI parts, don't even use the 8743 designation
The official source (the DJI Store) states the model is "8743 Low-Noise Propeller".

The official source (the DJI Store) states the model is "8743 Low-Noise Propeller".
Hmmm - looks like we are seeing different things then - 'cause following your link to the DJI Store above, shows me:
djistore.jpg

... mind you - I'm getting linked to a [local] version of the site with UK pricing ... ????

Hmmm - looks like we are seeing different things then - 'cause following your link to the DJI Store above, shows me
Scroll down to the "Specifications" section ;)

1548250839039.png

Scroll down to the "Specifications" section ;)

View attachment 60219
Ahhh - gotcha ... I need to read the small print ...
However - I think that the conclusion is that:
8743 = 8743F = 8743 Foldable = 8743 Low-Noise (same propeller, different label)
It's probably more relevent and constructive to look at the 'source' of the product, rather than the name - as if you are wanting replacements - then go to the DJI store!

I think that the conclusion is that:
8743 = 8743F = 8743 Foldable = 8743 Low-Noise (same propeller, different label)
Or maybe that it doesn't matter how sellers choose to name the title of their listings since DJI only sells one version of the props. What's important is that one is buying OEM DJI props (if that's the goal).

Or maybe that it doesn't matter how sellers choose to name the title of their listings since DJI only sells one version of the props. What's important is that one is buying OEM DJI props (if that's the goal).
You removed the last line of my post in your reply - but that shows we are in violent agreement on that point! :)
[Even though I'd only buy Master Airscrew for my Mavic Pro ... ]

Master Airscrew is getting ready to release props for the Mavic 2 very soon as I have been in touch with them about the when. As soon as they do I’ll get a couple sets for my M2P! I last emailed them 1/7/19 and I was told that it would be within the next few weeks that they’re going to be available.
And I’ll ditch the stock 8743 DJI ones unless I wanna keep them as backups.

Reactions: Ken K
Master Airscrew is getting ready to release props for the Mavic 2 very soon as I have been in touch with them about the when. As soon as they do I’ll get a couple sets for my M2P! I last emailed them 1/7/19 and I was told that it would be within the next few weeks that they’re going to be available.
And I’ll ditch the stock 8743 DJI ones unless I wanna keep them as backups.
Keep them as backups - in case you need a warranty return on the M2P (might be frowned upon if you sent it in with the MA prop's attached!!!).

So what's the deal wit the Master Airscrew props - they claim quieter, more efficient, more forgiving, lower RPM, etc. - better in every way than the DJI props. Without knowing more anyway, it's hard to believe their engineering is better than DJI's and I feel like optimum prop design/blade geometry would be something a computer could calculate objectively and mathematically, leaving little room for improvement. Are their props actually better than DJI's or is it just marketing hype?

Reactions: msinger
So what's the deal wit the Master Airscrew props - they claim quieter, more efficient, more forgiving, lower RPM, etc. - better in every way than the DJI props. Without knowing more anyway, it's hard to believe their engineering is better than DJI's and I feel like optimum prop design/blade geometry would be something a computer could calculate objectively and mathematically, leaving little room for improvement. Are their props actually better than DJI's or is it just marketing hype?
In my experience, it doesn't seem to be just marketing hype ... when you do a few tests and observations it does seem that Master Airscrew's claims add up. The only area where it appears you don't get much of a change is in top-speed. I've done a lot of tests comparing DJI quiet 8331 prop's on my Mavic Pro Platinum, with 8331 carbon-fibre prop's - and found that even though their shape and pitch was identical, due to the stiffness of the c-f prop's they had lower rpm in the hover, and the lower rpm also resulted in a lower frequency and lower level of perceived sound. However, the motors were having to work harder to turn the c-f prop's and that showed with shorter flight durations (i.e. the batteries were drained faster).

The MA prop's are completely different than the 8331 DJI quiet prop's. They are the same 8.3" diameter, but are a courser pitch at 4.4" (so technically, are 8344 spec'). In addition, they have a completely re-designed tip with a small turn-up 'curl' that is like the wing-tip on a commercial jet. They are made from 'Glass Fibre Reinforced Composite' - which makes them very light, but strong with a high degree of stiffness. Not as stiff as c-f however. It is really surprising that despite the courser pitch, and the lower rpm that these prop's have, the Mavic's motors don't seem to be working harder than normal because - in general - I can expect an additional minute or two flight time over the DJI stock quiet prop's [so I'd agree with MA's claims about them being more efficient]. Again - due to the lower rpm - the noise level is lower and a bit deeper in pitch (than the DJI Platinum 'quiet' prop's).

One thing that's noticeable, is that DJI themselves, seem to have adopted MA's little upcurl on the tip of the Mavic 2 Low-Noise props' ...

I think that what you have to balance here, is that DJI make drones - and the drone is a mix of parts that are doing what they need to do, but price of components plays a major part. The Stock DJI prop's would have not only been designed with a function in mind, but a cost also. Master Airscrew make propellors, so they have a little more focus on prop's than DJI do ... I just think that at the end of the day, the MA focus shows ... And they make a Mavic look a bit more interesting!!
MavPro_MA.jpg

... it's hard to believe their engineering is better than DJI's and I feel like optimum prop design/blade geometry would be something a computer could calculate objectively and mathematically, leaving little room for improvement.
Just a thought about what you say above ...
Here's an example of what you get as an engineered solution as a prop' for an aircraft system (C-130 Herc') when it's designed as a complete aircraft from the main-spar out:
c130_old.jpg

And here's what you get when you focus on engineering a propeller system for the C-130 Hercules:
C130_new.jpg

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Those are good points. I am assuming DJI has a prop design team, so they (presumably) would have a team focused on just the props. If there is a way to make them better it's just surprising to me that they do not do so at what I would also assume is no cost to them (eg. they order a million props of style A or style B from their fabricator).

The props in your example have quite a dramatic change that is very obvious, however DJI's props vs the MA props look almost identical, suggesting that the optimization was extremely slight compared to DJI's original design. Makes you wonder why they don't improve them, unless there are other areas that they outperform the MA props in that they feel are more important, but I am not sure what tumps noise and flight time in the eyes of the average consumer.

Lockheed had a prop team when the C-130 rolled out in 1954 ... Things change, and differnt science and people get involved ...
The MA prop's and DJI prop's are 'similar' but nowhere near identical. The difference in pitch from 3.1" (DJI) to 4.4" (MA) is a massive increase that just should not work! You'd think that would just load the motors, cause overheating, and suck battery like crazy - but they don't ... There is a big difference in the blade tip tech' as well.
dji_mavic_propellers_difference-1024x683.jpg DJI Mavic Pro stock (top) and Mavic Pro Platinum 'quiet' stock (bottom)

DJI_Mavic_Platinum_MAS_Orange.jpg Master Airscrew 'Stealth' for the Pro & Platinum
[I'll try and get a spread photo of the MA prop to post]

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147