DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Guards Allow You To Fly Over People?

ScottTX

Reactions
So I was just watching this (Tech Drone Media) YouTube video:

I realize he is discussing EU regulations, but at time index ~3:50 he mentions a FAA regulation that allows you to fly over people if you have prop guards?

You can, but must be part 107 pilot, have a waiver for OOP, and use a drone with prop guards and still be under 250g with those fitted.
All of this is true for the time being except:
have a waiver for OOP
The new rules establish the parameters for OOP and eliminate the need for a waiver.

I realize he is discussing EU regulations, but at time index ~3:50 he mentions a FAA regulation that allows you to fly over people if you have prop guards?
I am repeating some of what was already said but until larger drones are approved for operations over people (OOP), you must be flying as a part 107 pilot and keep your drone under 250g. There is no provision in the rules for recreational flights.

The.less than 250g requirement, eliminates almost every drone in production today that would be viable for commercial work. A notable exception is the DJI Mini 2, if used with a lighter DJI battery designed to comply with Japan's regulations. This combo weighs just under 200g so even when prop guards are added it is possible to stay within the rules. DJI has not yet made these batteries available to the US so they are difficult to obtain.

Another stumbling block is that the prop guards have to form a complete cage around the props so not just any guards will work. The new rules state that there can be no “exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being”.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I see version of the upcoming Mini 3 with a lighter battery and a prop "cage"

Never have flown over people, with or without propeller guards, just plain not safe. By the way I was an avid propeller guard user, until I tried it one time and saw how much longer the craft would fly. Now I use them once in a while.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR