DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Guards Cause Weird Crash

eyetunes

Reactions
Took my Mini 3 Pro out for a quick flight with some new prop guards yesterday (lots of trees on my property), and wanted to test the obstacle avoidance out to make sure it would stay away from hazards when flying at low altitudes (I was using Cinema mode). Wanting to see how close it would get before stopping, I slowly approached the back of the house, and the next thing I know it rams straight into the sliding glass door, causing it to tailspin straight into the hardscape.

How could this happen??? Is OA disabled when using prop guards?? Why would this not be mentioned in the app while flying?? Needless to say, I won't be using them ever again and can only hope my OA will be functional next time around.

A better starting point might be to ask :-
Does OA detect glass or does it see through it?
Was the interior of the building dark?
I'd be inclined to first test using a not transparent target, then, perhaps, SLOWLY fly at a transparent target and be ready to reverse if it shows no sign of stopping.

The above said, a quick google gave Mini 3 Pro Obsticle Avoidence disables when propeller guards dete...

Last edited:
@eyetunes ,according to the mini 3 pro manual ,if you are using the recent update that allows goggles +the Motion 2 controller ,then if you are in bypass mode, then APAS is disabled if you have prop guards fitted at the time ,there is a setting with the goggles called Nifty mode, which allows the drone to be flown smoother and faster, similar to a proper FPV type drone but not with prop guards fitted

Last edited:
after doing some more digging i came across a PDF in the DJI download center for the Mini 3 pro prop guards
it states quite clearly in the content of that PDF ,that if the Mini 3 pro is being flown with prop guards fitted, then obstacle avoidance whether in bypass or stop mode, does not work and it will just carry on flying into an obstacle
i wonder if that information is included in the box that the guards come in,along with how to fit them to the drone in a printed user guide

Not very intuitive is it. Welcome to the forum from Sunny SoCal.. Thanks for bringing that up. I don't have that drone but I doubt if I would have guessed that could happen.
,that if the Mini 3 pro is being flown with prop guards fitted, then obstacle avoidance whether in bypass or stop mode, does not work and it will just carry on flying into an obstacle

Reactions: eyetunes
after doing some more digging i came across a PDF in the DJI download center for the Mini 3 pro prop guards
it states quite clearly in the content of that PDF ,that if the Mini 3 pro is being flown with prop guards fitted, then obstacle avoidance whether in bypass or stop mode, does not work and it will just carry on flying into an obstacle
i wonder if that information is included in the box that the guards come in,along with how to fit them to the drone in a printed user guide
Very interesting....and no, there were no instructions, warnings, or manuals that came with the prop guards, so big fail there.

Very interesting....and no, there were no instructions, warnings, or manuals that came with the prop guards, so big fail there.
It's not unusual for DJI products to not include printed manuals so the user has responsibility to download the user manual from the DJI support page. I suppose your Mini 3 did not come with a printed user manual either.

Last edited:
@eyetunes ,i am not having a go at you ,just trying to help others who may decide to purchase prop guards for their Mini 3 ,so they can avoid the same thing happening to them

Reactions: 3rdof5
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato